An Apology to All the Gay a2kers

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
What really angers me, is that some people disparage gays by saying that they have a promiscuous lifestyle. Now that many gays want to have a committed union recognized by the law..................

It looks like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation!

I hate hearing that too phoenix. My arguement to that is :
And most teenagers are not promiscuous?! Laughing

People dont think about that one either. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
What really angers me, is that some people disparage gays by saying that they have a promiscuous lifestyle. Now that many gays want to have a committed union recognized by the law..................

I would be interested in knowing how the gay males vs. gay females feel. In my experience I work with a bunch of gay party guys who don't want gay marriage. But this is probably only a few? I have heard a lot from them on this issue but mainly "please I don't want someone wanting to marry me every Sat. morning"
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:56 am
cannistershot wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Grand Duke,

Gay couples (not married) are adopting children already in the US. There is a big need for adoption of older children and homosexual couples can provide families with caring responsible adults.

This has been been happening here for a while with little fanfare. How could anyone condemn children to lives in foster care based on prejudice.

One of my co-workers adopted a 9 year old boy. It is clearly a wonderful situation for his son and also give him and his partner a chance to raise a family.

A friend of my family is a lesbian who is divorced (from a failed heterosexual marriage). She also does a fine job at raising a wonderful daughter.

Deal with it. Gays are already filling a big need for adoptive parents, and no one with any heart can say this is a bad thing.

That they aren't allowed to form strong legally sanction families with support partners hurts the kids.

As bad as this hurts me I will have to agree with you to a point. If children can get into a loving home sexual orientation shouldn't matter IMO.

Too many kids in this country don't even have ONE loving parent...god bless the ones who are able to have TWO people willing to love them unconditionally....regardless of sexual orientation. Gay isn't contagious.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:58 am
cannistershot wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I would be interested in knowing how the gay males vs. gay females feel. In my experience I work with a bunch of gay party guys who don't want gay marriage. But this is probably only a few? I have heard a lot from them on this issue but mainly "please I don't want someone wanting to marry me every Sat. morning"

Please educate me not attack me. I am really on the fence here.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:03 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Grand Duke,

Gay couples (not married) are adopting children already in the US.

As far as I know, it is not yet possible in the UK.

Quote:
How could anyone condemn children to lives in foster care based on prejudice.

Are you accusing me of prejudice? Or someone else? If I, then you are mistaken.

Quote:
Deal with it.

It is none of my business. I am neither gay nor a child in care.

Quote:
Gays are already filling a big need for adoptive parents, and no one with any heart can say this is a bad thing.

Good for them. I never said it was a bad thing.

How can the voting US public be hypocritical enough to allow gays to adopt children, but not to marry? Raising a child is much greater responsibility than merely getting married.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:06 am
You think that they are going to allow adoption by gays in the US? HA! Fat chance. People still think being gay is contagious.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:08 am
Grand Duke wrote:

How can the voting US public be hypocritical enough to allow gays to adopt children, but not to marry? Raising a child is much greater responsibility than merely getting married.

Onward through the fog of American culture Duke.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:08 am
I wasn't accusing you of prejudice. I was saying I know of no good reason to keep good parents from adopting children who need good parents other than fear and prejudice.

Quote:

Here here. I don't have a good answer for this one.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:12 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Gay couples (not married) are adopting children already in the US.

Kristie wrote:
You think that they are going to allow adoption by gays in the US? HA! Fat chance. People still think being gay is contagious.

Which is correct?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:13 am
Grand Duke wrote:

Ohh!!! A-MEN Exclamation
The sooner people realize that the better.
In a marriage, the only people who suffer from irresponsibility directly is the other person in the marriage.
In adoption, it effects the child. Sometimes to the point where the damage is unable to be fixed.
It really doesnt make sence to allow someone to adopt if you dont trust them to make a sexual decision..
But dont say this too loud! Shocked
Next thing you know there will be restrictions on adoption.. and even more children with be without the possibility of a family/home/love etc.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:14 am
Gays and lesbians have been adopting for a long time, but only recently have the adoptions been done openly.

In the past, and perhaps in some areas of the country still today, gay couples have lied in order to adopt. Usually with one partner adopting and the other pretending to be a roommate or a friend. But it is extremely important to realize the importance of honesty when adopting.

It is legal to omit information, it is not legal to lie when asked a specific question. Lying in this instance is considered fraud and may be cause for an adoption to not occur or for an already established placement to disrupt.

The exact number of gay couples who have adopted is unknown due to the fear of of sharing too much information due to society's feelings regarding homosexual couples.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:16 am
Quote:

Quote:

I do. When you raise a kid, you have a responsibility. When you get married, you have certain privileges, like access to the partner's Social security, persions, health insurance, etc.

Looks like few people mind when people take on a responsibility (each child that is adopted means that the taxpayers have one less child to support). They DO mind though, if these same folks want the same perks that other married people get.

Hypocritical, yeah!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:17 am
Really? I wasn't aware that gay couples were allowed to adopt. I thought it was still very no no.

Thanks, panzade, for the info. You learn something new every day.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:19 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

Just to clarify my position on these matters so I can get back to my usual business of making flippant remarks in the much less serious threads:

Gay marriage/civil union/whatever - Whatever makes them happy. It doesn't affect me, so I don't care if they get married or not.

Gay adoption: If kids need homes and gay people want to give them one, fine, whatever, it doesn't affect me, so I don't care.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:19 am
Kristie wrote:

Not only that, people still think it is a choice. Confused
I personally dont know anyone who would CHOOSE to be gay in a country that treats you as this one does. >sigh<
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
Didn't Rosie adopt?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
She sure did.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:25 am
panzade wrote:
She sure did.

Was it as a couple with her partner?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:26 am
My recollection is no. But I could be mistaken.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:26 am
Rosie doesn't count. She is rich enough to buy anything really (sad but true).

Panzade, I am curious to know if it is more female gay or male gay couples adopting/being able to adopt. Any info on this? It would seem to make sense that more males would, since neither can have kids on their own.
0 Replies