Bush supporters' aftermath thread

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:31 pm
Good points Thomas ... though I dunno if personally I can endorse exclusivity in philosophic discussion ... and politics is at root philosophy, is it not? I think I understand what you're sayin', see where you're comin' from ... but I'm just not exactly there with you. That doesn't make either of us either right or wrong, it just makes us different from one another.

My preference would be either to engage, and if possible rebut, those of contrary but reasonably stated viewpoint, or to ignore the unreasonable proponents of any given position. Tellin' somebody to shut up and go away isn't very constructive ... for either participant in such an exchange, the way I see it.

Now, if someone is bein' a total jerk apart from voicing position or stating opinion, being disruptive, gratuitously vulgar, vituperative, engaging in ad hominem attack, the like, then fine; shoot the sumbich and be done with it.

My take - and this just me, just timber typin' here - is that anyone should feel, and be, free to post anything not in violation of The Terms anywhere on these boards they choose. Some topics might be more apropriate in a particular given forum than in another, of course, and if someone were to post the solution to Fermat's Last Theorum in Performing Arts, for instance, then, yeah, sure, its entirely appropriate that topic be moved to Science and Mathematics, but thats about it for compartmentalizing.

All in all, I gotta say georgeob1's take is pretty close to mine ... and bear in mind that's just my take, and it certainly doesn't mean I think "We're right and they're wrong". Its just how I feel. If I wanted to wallow in "Me, Too!" discussions, there are plenty of boards out there on which I could indulge that wish. I like it here all the more because there's a whole buncha "Yeah? Well mebbe so, but ... "
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:36 pm
I've been so concerned about appearing to gloat, I haven't said HOW DAMN HAPPY I AM THAT DASCHLE LOST!!!!

People, I'm so damn happy that sonofabitch lost!!! The House and Senate will be standing in a weepy line, nodding their small heads to everything that comes down the pike.

TORT REFORM!!!!! YIPPPEEEEE!!!!!!!

<smiles contentedly>
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:10 pm
Yeah, I'm thrilled Daschle got traschled.and now South Dakota in The Senate will be singin' a new Thune. To my mind, that race was second in importance only to the top of the ticket.

I'm all for tort reform myself, but I'm still a bit skeptical of what may or may not develop ... 89% of them Congress Critters is lawyers, ya know.
0 Replies

HofT

Timber - Fermat's last theorem was proven some years ago:

ANDREW WILES. Modular elliptic curves and Fermat's last theorem. Pages 443-551
http://www.math.princeton.edu/~annals/issues/1995/141_3.html
0 Replies

georgeob1

I agree Lash. It was very good to see the mean little bastard fall - and, even better, as a direct result of his own actions..
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:12 pm
HofT wrote:
... Fermat's last theorem was proven some years ago ...

Well, if he wants to post it here, he'd better not put it in Performing Arts Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:14 pm
Anyone have an inside track on Colin, Condi, Ashcroft? Is there any reason to think Colin may stay? Any predictions about shake-ups? Does Guiliani get a spot?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:15 pm
Ah, Timber - I had to go back and see what and who "Cav" was LOL. Now that I have, I think most were just kidding around with him/her. A couple of people here, I think, made the gesture to him that they'd be happy to address his point/questions in another thread. It didn't surprise me to see that, knowing the caliber of people posting in this thread.

I think it's fair to point out to someone when they're "off-topic" - surely we've all experienced that and not only in the political forum. After skimming Cav's post, I doubt anyone here is reluctant (and certainly not timid) in taking him on point-by-point, but rather wanted to stay on topic and celebrate together the results of our own hard work towards an important goal.

Lash - I agree 100% with you about Daschle. I watched that race closely and was impressed with an early Sunday morning debate between him and Thune (Thune just makes so much sense)! Daschle was a thorn in W's side and he'll not be missed.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:16 pm
HofT wrote:
Timber - Fermat's last theorem was proven some years ago:

True enough and like many utterly rigorous mathematical proofs it was an exhausting (and boring) passage through a thicket of lemmas and arcane logical excursions. Easier and more fun to just accept and apply the idea and delight in its powers when the predictions are validated.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:22 pm
I figure Powell will stick around a while, but prolly not the full 4 years, Ashcroft is pretty well established as wanting out regardless, I'm sure Rudy is on the shortlist for Ashcroft's parking space. Tom Ridge may be "On The Bubble", Condi has a lock on her slot ... and would be a reasonable bet to succeed Powel if and when he departs. Rummy likely will remain a fixture, and on a side note, I think only Greenspan will determine when Greenspan moves on ... I expect he'll not retire, and that his next employer will not be earthly :wink:
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:24 pm
Lash wrote:
Anyone have an inside track on Colin, Condi, Ashcroft? Is there any reason to think Colin may stay? Any predictions about shake-ups? Does Guiliani get a spot?

Lash - the only gossip I've heard is that Condi will be pressed to stay, even if it means letting her pretty much have her pick of what she'll do.

Someone (here, I think) believes Ashcroft will resign for health reasons and although Guiliani has been mentioned for the spot, some think he's wrong because he's not "that easy to work with". Danforth has been mentioned favorably, however.

I don't have a clue about Powell, except to say I can't see him leaving and then "telling all" as some on the left have suggested. His very character dispells that notion, to me at least, and I'd be very surprised.

I think they're all exhausted and wouldn't begrudge any of them some well-deserved private time.

I think we'll all know more after this weekend.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:25 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:27 pm
Lord.

Will the world still turn without Greenspan?

HEY!!! I hate to say this---but the judgeships seem almost in play. (No good way to say it.) I heard on NPR that Renquist is quite ill. Everyone is getting a bit old in the tooth... Has anyone alluded to retirement? Are the odds that Bush will make --what 2 or 3 replacements?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:32 pm
Oooooohhh...that's the best part!!! O'Connor WANTS to retire, but said she won't as long as the, ahem, "right" is in power.

Hehehe......golf will have to wait!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:42 pm
Lash wrote:
I've been so concerned about appearing to gloat, I haven't said HOW DAMN HAPPY I AM THAT DASCHLE LOST!!!!

People, I'm so damn happy that sonofabitch lost!!! The House and Senate will be standing in a weepy line, nodding their small heads to everything that comes down the pike.

TORT REFORM!!!!! YIPPPEEEEE!!!!!!!

<smiles contentedly>
Smile
(just had to add that smile :wink: )
(I appeared to gloat and about got my head taken off for it)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:44 pm
Rehnquist is a sure open slot, O'Connor is a good bet to retire in the not-too-distant, mebbe a lot sooner than some might suspect. That's two for all-but-sure. That's really all I can think of right now. Stevens strikes me as logical for Rehnquist's replacement for Chief Justice. I'm afraid we're stuck with Ginsburg and Breyer for a good while, though.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:54 pm
Poor OBill. You may appear to gloat here!!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:10 pm
Gloating and appearing to gloat are both permitted and encouraged in this thread.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:12 pm
<I prefer to celebrate.>

<But, I don't mind being in the company of gloaters, and those appearing to gloat.>
0 Replies

Cobalt8

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:14 pm
Ah happy barely describes it. I was seriously concerned about America's short term future if Kerry had been elected. So let the party commence ... ummm .... let the 72 hour old party continue.
0 Replies