Bush supporters' aftermath thread

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:28 am
I'm not sure, who here needs what information.

But I do know that my understanding of English differs a lot to yours, Lash, which certainly has to do with the fact that I'm not a native English speaker (and hardly no more than some dozen words in Scandinavic languages and none at all in Finnish).

I've read in the meantime a bit here.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:31 am
timberlandko wrote:
Lacking any substantive argument, Libruls are confronted with but two possible attitudes if they are to participate in political disscussions; they can acknowledge reality and repudiate their own positions, or they can troll.

God, I love the sight of Libruls whining on the internet - it reads like ... like VICTORY! (apologies to Robert Duval)

Goodness. If substantive (careful, rigorous, well-cited and open-minded) argument was what we would find on this thread, or most others, you might have a point.

As to Tico's "blatham's cut and pastes"...there's no small irony in the fellow's charge given that I paste in - with rare exception - a minimal portion of any link (the reader may choose to go deeper if he has curiosity or courage) whereas Tico's fondness is to paste entire columns from, pretty much exclusively, townhall and the Weekly Standard.

And as to 'polite requests'...several years ago I sent a letter to the President politely requesting he do no initiate a war which would mutiliate so many thousands of women and children. Had he been polite, I too would be.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:40 am
Sweden and Finland are at the top among the strongest, most rapidly developing economies in Europe, Lash. I don't think there's a bear up the tree you're barking under.

Quote:
It is true that Europe's economy is in a mess, or at least important parts of it like Germany, France and Italy. But the Centre for European Reform, a hugely respected think-tank on EU affairs, recently wrote that it would be wrong to write off the Lisbon Agenda. In a table of heroes and villains compiled for its annual Lisbon review, the CER states that almost all EU members have "passed a raft of measures" many tackling labour market and pensions reform.

Far from showing that deregulation is the only answer (although it is an important one) the review describes the state-coddled Scandinavians as Europe's most dynamic: Sweden tops the ranking followed by Denmark and Finland! The other strong performers are Austria, the Netherlands, Britain and Ireland with many new members rapidly rising up the chart. Even the supposed laggards like Germany and France are making headway, the former on reform of its labour laws, the latter by revamping its pensions system.
Source

Oh, and blatham - good point re cut-and-paste - sorta. As to your point regarding my point, I believe the most salient point is that comprising the mass between Libruls' necks and their hats.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:43 am
blatham wrote:
As to Tico's "blatham's cut and pastes"...there's no small irony in the fellow's charge given that I paste in - with rare exception - a minimal portion of any link (the reader may choose to go deeper if he has curiosity or courage) whereas Tico's fondness is to paste entire columns from, pretty much exclusively, townhall and the Weekly Standard.

My charge is that you are trolling and you know it. (A charge, I note, you apparently do not refute.) To be clear: The charge is you are posting off-topic in this thread. That is the problem. If you want to post in response to something you find objectionable, you are certainly free to do so without objection from me. But if you choose to initiate your own topics because it is your intention that they cast Bush in a poor light, you are off topic and a troll.

... and had you been paying the least bit of attention you would know I also post entire articles/columns from Ann Coulter, National Review, Neal Boortz, Scrappleface, NewsMax, WorldNetDaily, et al.

Quote:
And as to 'polite requests'...several years ago I sent a letter to the President politely requesting he do no initiate a war which would mutiliate so many thousands of women and children. Had he been polite, I too would be.

Let me be sure I have this straight: The lack of response from President Bush to a letter you sent him several years ago is your justification for being rude today?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:43 am
Quote:
BUSH GETS IT RIGHT

Last night President Bush spoke for just under a half hour to the soldiers gathered at Fort Bragg, North Carolina and explained why the United States of America is not going to cut and run out of Iraq. Naturally, Democrats came unhinged at Bush's confident assessment of how things were going in Iraq. Among the points the president made:

* The war in Iraq is a vital front in the war on terror that began on September 11, 2001. Any mention of 9/11 in the same sentence as Iraq sends Democrats into a state of hyperventilation. The facts are the facts: Saddam Hussein supported terrorism, sheltered terrorists, had the capability to produce weapons of mass destruction and would have sold those weapons to terrorists.
* We are not going to cut and run. The United States invaded Iraq, liberated that country and has promised to stay until the job is done. The left, in an attempt to relive their Vietnam war protest days, would like us to just pull out and Zarqawi and his boys take over Baghdad.
* There will be no announced pull-out date. For some reason, Democrats and a few Republicans think we should leave Iraq on a date certain. This would be the worst possible strategy for the reasons Bush mentioned last night. The biggest reason is that the Islamic terrorists would just wait until we left, then take over. And take over they would. I think it's fair to say that any person who states that we should set a date for our withdrawal from Iraq is either (a) as dumb as a load of bricks; or, (b) actually desirous of seeing the U.S. suffer a defeat in Iraq.

The Poodle was on Larry King Live last night complaining that Bush said fighting terrorism was now the "third rationale" for invading Iraq. If he would put down his 'baby killers go home' sign from the 1960's long enough, he would realize that we're long past the point of talking about the invasion. That was over two years ago. What we're dealing with now is establishing a free and democratic Iraq (which we have done,) writing a new Constitution and democratically electing new leaders (we're almost there,) and training security forces so they can take over when we leave (a work in progress.) By any measure, we're succeeding in Iraq.

The job in Iraq takes as long as it takes. The Islamic killers won't let up, and neither should we. There is only one choice here and that is to stay the course and get it done.

THIS IS AN OBJECTIVE INTERVIEW?

I heard a TV news anchor this morning questioning a Republican Congressman Robin Hayes about the president's speech and our efforts in Iraq. Here are some of the questions the anchor asked Hayes:

"One of our listeners wrote to say that Bush should really be making this speech at Arlington National Cemetery, Not at Fort Bragg. Was it appropriate for President Bush to speak there?"

What? Did a journalist actually ask a politician whether or not it was appropriate for the President of the United States to make a speech about a war before the very people who are fighting that war? The very people who are expected to put their lives on the line in that war? Did I really hear that? [Yes ... and sounds an awful lot like some on A2K, doesn't it?]

"Isn't he in part using Ft. Bragg as an appropriate backdrop to cheerlead the war in Iraq?"

Oh ... Arlington National Cemetery wouldn't be a backdrop? And stating the reasons we're at war is "cheerleading?" "Gimme a W! Gimme an A! Gimme an R!" Gimme a break.

"President Bush in his speech said that we're there to fight terrorists, but he failed to explain how a war to remove a dictator who was bent on using nuclear weapons has turned into a fight against Muslim militants. Doesn't he owe us an explanation?"

It's been explained, over and over again. That dictator was, himself, a Muslim militant with access to massive destructive power. Doesn't a news anchor owe us a little more intellectual diligence?

"But there is no evidence that Saddam Hussein was connected in any way to Al Qaeda."

Sorry ... factually wrong. That evidence does exist. The 911 Commission itself reported on efforts by Saddam Hussein to make contact with Al Qaeda for the purpose of providing support and training. At least Congressman Hayes had the guts to say "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but you're mistaken."

"I know of no evidence connecting Saddam Hussein to Osama bin Laden or Al Qaeda, and also there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq."

Wrong, Wrong. Wrong. How can she say that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. What in the hell did Saddam use to gas hundreds of thousands of his own people? Cheese Whiz? What about those implements used in the creation of nuclear weapons that were found buried in the back yard of one of Saddam's nuclear scientists? That's not evidence found in Iraq? What about the artillery shells containing sarin gas? That's not evidence? What about the documents detailing Saddam's weapons program? Not evidence? What about the statements from Saddam's scientists that they were ready to reinstitute their weapons program the very moment that UN sanctions were lifted and the inspectors were gone. Not evidence?

It was an amazing segment. Both a Republican and Democratic congressman were interviewed in this segment, but the argumentative interview style was saved for the Republican. The Democrats was not challenged .. not once. Remember, though ... there is no bias in the media.

-----

A bonus tidbit ....

Quote:
HOW THE D-DAY INVASION
WOULD BE REPORTED BY TODAY'S PRESS

NORMANDY, FRANCE (June 6, 1944) Three hundred French civilians were killed and thousands more were wounded today in the first hours of America's invasion of continental Europe. Casualties were heaviest among women and children. Most of the French casualties were the result of artillery fire from American ships attempting to knock out German fortifications prior to the landing of hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops. Reports from a makeshift hospital in the French town of St. Mere Eglise said the carnage was far worse than the French had anticipated, and that reaction against the American invasion was running high. "We are dying for no reason, "said a Frenchman speaking on condition of anonymity. "Americans can't even shoot straight. I never thought I'd say this, but life was better under Adolph Hitler." The invasion also caused severe environmental damage. American troops, tanks, trucks and machinery destroyed miles of pristine shoreline and thousands of acres of ecologically sensitive wetlands. It was believed that the habitat of the spineless French crab was completely wiped out, thus threatening the species with extinction. A representative of Greenpeace said his organization, which had tried to stall the invasion for over a year, was appalled at the destruction, but not surprised. "This is just another example of how the military destroys the environment without a second thought," said Christine Moanmore. "And it's all about corporate greed." Contacted at his Manhattan condo, a member of the French government-in-exile who abandoned Paris when Hitler invaded, said the invasion was based solely on American financial interests. "Everyone knows that President Roosevelt has ties to 'big beer'," said Pierre LeWimp. "Once the German beer industry is conquered, Roosevelt's beer cronies will control the world market and make a fortune." Administration supporters said America's aggressive actions were based in part on the assertions of controversial scientist Albert Einstein, who sent a letter to Roosevelt speculating that the Germans were developing a secret weapon -- a so-called "atomic bomb". Such a weapon could produce casualties on a scale never seen before, and cause environmental damage that could last for thousands of years. Hitler has denied having such a weapon and international inspectors were unable to locate such weapons even after spending two long weekends in Germany. Shortly after the invasion began, reports surfaced that German prisoners had been abused by American soldiers. Mistreatment of Jews by Germans at their so-called "concentration camps" has been rumored, but so far this remains unproven. Several thousand Americans died during the first hours of the invasion, and French officials are concerned that the uncollected corpses will pose a public-health risk. "The Americans should have planned for this in advance," they said. "It's their mess, and we don't intend to help clean it up."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:55 am
Coming back to the immigration theme.

Finland:
(Finnish) Directorate of Immigration (homepage, in English)

Racism in Sweden (Europe):
Human rights watchdog criticizes Britain, Poland, Sweden in reports on racism

Sweden doesn't give ethical background - just countries of origin, sex etc - about it's population. A lot of numbers and figures

However, shorter from the US Department of State:
Quote:
People
Ethnic groups: Indigenous Swedes, ethnic Finns, ethnic Lapps.
Immigrants: Finns, Bosnians, Iranians, Norwegians, Danes, Hungarians, Iraqis, and Turks.

PEOPLE
Sweden has one of the world's highest life expectancies and one of the lowest birth rates. The country counts at least 17,000 Sami among its population. About one fifth of Sweden's population are immigrants or have at least one foreign-born parent. The largest immigrant groups are from Finland, Serbia-Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Iraq, Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Turkey, and Poland. This reflects the Nordic immigration, earlier periods of labor immigration, and later decades of refugee and family reunification immigration.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:06 am
tico
Quote:
Let me be sure I have this straight: The lack of response from President Bush to a letter you sent him several years ago is your justification for being rude today?

His lack of response was fine. Being directly and personally responsible for the mutiliations and deaths of thousands of innocents (though I do admit that the number of innocents killed as a consequence of his initiated war is tens to hundreds more than were killed in 9/11, he wins the red ribbon for killing innocents) changes my notion of 'rude' a tad.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:13 am
blatham wrote:
tico
Quote:

His lack of response was fine. Being directly and personally responsible for the mutiliations and deaths of thousands of innocents (though I do admit that the number of innocents killed as a consequence of his initiated war is tens to hundreds more than were killed in 9/11, he wins the red ribbon for killing innocents) changes my notion of 'rude' a tad.

Again, this says nothing about why you are being rude.

Trying to keep you on-topic is difficult.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:19 am
Re: Bush supporters' aftermath thread
on 11/3/04, Ticomaya wrote:
I don't expect many postings.

237 pages later...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:28 am
Region Philbis wrote:

237 pages later...

I blame the trolls.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:55 am
Ticomaya wrote:
I blame the trolls.

Sorta smacks of projection - blame-shifting - as a means of avoiding acknowledgement of personal responsibility :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:21 am
timberlandko wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I blame the trolls.

Sorta smacks of projection - blame-shifting - as a means of avoiding acknowledgement of personal responsibility :wink: Laughing

Hmm ... how soon do you suppose before the usuals swoop in to compare me with Bush? Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:02 pm
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/06/10/PH2005061001450.jpg
A sampling of Finns.

HEY!! Who let in the brunette?

So, Freeduck. You're saying there is no racism where there is no slavery?

Is Finland's immigration policy OK with you?
Why haven't any blacks tried Australia out? What about this drive to mistreat Asians in Australia so they'll leave and dissuade others from immigrating?

There is some HEINOUS stuff going on out there outside of America, eh?
Timber-- I see your economic info on Sweden. I'll have to find some more comparisons. Thanks, though.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:48 pm
Walter--

The Finnish Diary that you were reading is from the same site I got my information. It was a nice write up that was posted to by readers. Here are some samples:

As I thought, you neglected to mention the problems of racism here...and yes they do exist. What a white wash but I am not surprised. Like minds stick together and avoid the issue in regards people of color or immigrants in general. You saw what they wanted you to see and were blinded by all the "nice" window dressing. On the surface Finland is a nice place, but the ugly truth is that immigrants are NOT welcomed here and every attempt is made by Finns to subtely distance themselves from those that are not True Finns. "If its different, I don't want it" is the battle cry of Finns, whose resistance to anything remotely different is exceeded only by their stubborness to recognise you even exist. Of course any country wants to show its best side, but a real reporter would have delved deeper. I can't see where you interviewed any immigrants or people of color and your statement that you did saw very few immigrants only reinforces the belief in the immigrant community that Finland is a racist country.

Posted by: An Immigrant | June 11, 2005 12:44 AM

Immigrant - have you looked at the statistics? Finns are xenophobic towards people from another village; let alone other country. Isolation has made it this way. Theres been virtually only emigration and only since 1990 we've had any significant number of immigrants. Do you know in 1980 there were 12 000 "foreigners" living in Finland!? Since the 1990 the "flood" of immigrants, it is a flood if its 12 000 to 120 000, has caused some knee-jerk reactions, but what would you expect. If you are coming yourself from a multicultural society you are comparing apples and oranges. Finland has neen a monoculture especially since after the war.

Posted by: Hank W. | June 11, 2005 02:43 AM

- theres no immigrants because nobody wants to immigrate here.
or
- theres nobody immigrating here because there are no immigrants here
or
- theres no jobs because theres no immigrants
or
- theres no immigrants because theres no jobs
or
- theres no immigrants because Finns are xenophobic
or
- Finns are xenophobic because there hasn't been much if any immigration until quite recently

Posted by: Hank W. | June 11, 2005 02:57 AM

Most people in Finland or USA or anywhere else only want to associate with people they relate to i.e. same colour, social background, gender, monetary status and alike, meaning for example in the USA you seldom find suburbs where white and black live as neighbours. While Finland is homogenous, and while many people over there as well as any where else in the world are wary of foreigners, that does not make them racists or bigots, merely ignorant or even shy. Most people just want to have an easy life and avoid yet another hassle of figuring out what food to offer, is it ok to shake hands or what language to use.

Immigrants in the USA or Sweden or Germany or Australia or Finland or anywhere else do not have a very easy time, and there are any number of dishwashers and taxi cab drivers who have high academic exams and can't get a job corresponding to their education. Despite the fact the USA is a country made of immigrants; it's a very very false idea that immigrants over here have an easy time. If you're white male with great English language skills, you have it a lot easier even without any collage education than if you're a refugee from Africa with a high academic degree.

And while I agree that Finland definitely needs an influx of people, if for no other reason than diversity itself is rewarding, it's going to take time and education the same way as it's required in the USA. I lost count of how many articles in papers over here in the US I've read about "immigrants come here to take advantage of our benefits" or "there are Americans unemployed and that's because of all the immigrants". It's totally unfounded of course, but people are people, here as well as in Finland, and they fear the unknown.

Cultural diversity is in general terms very good for a society for the same reason it's good for a company if the CEO avoids to be surrounded by a bunch of yes-men. If everybody always agrees, there's no discussion and no initiative for new thoughts and ideas. Tolerance, understanding and empathy for foreigners are also very good traits, but for a country that has been seen as "free land to grab" by its two large war mongering neighbours, it is to a degree understandable if Finns in general are a bit wary of the idea of an influx of immigration. Getting along with people outside of ones comfort zone requires an effort. Education can be applied to build the bridges but it does take time, in Finland and the USA as well as anywhere else.

Posted by: Kaari Jae | June 11, 2005 03:05 AM

Immigrant -this was a series of articles about Finland. I fail to understand why on earth the topic "racism in Finland" should have been handled. It may be the most interesting topic in YOUR mind, but that is just not good enough reason. There probably is some racism in Finland, as in other countries as well. I believe the idea was to handle issues that make Finland different from other countries and racism certainly is not one of them.

Posted by: TR | June 11, 2005 03:20 AM

Yes, I think we are not peculiarly racist, but our cultural and historical background emphasizes racist and xenophobic attitudes (an isolated, sparse population being at first hundreds of years a pawn between Russia and Sweden, then suffering a very murderous 20th century attack by Stalin, and only in the 90's getting the first significant influx of immigrants). This does not excuse discrimination, but you can't address it without understanding its causes. Considering this background we have already progressed quite a bit. Maybe we can also learn from the mistakes of other Western European nations and revise a functioning model which would lead to ghettos or very antagonistic attitudes and laws (Norway and Denmark are getting to be quite scary examples with their complete turnaround from tolerance to intolerance). So, yes, it must be very frustrating to be an immigrant in Finland, but name me a country where it's a bed of roses...

Posted by: Juha | June 11, 2005 03:31 AM
---------
I used to imagine Sweden, Norway, et al were so superior. They stay out of global tangles, they keep to themselves, you hardly hear a peep out of them. I thought it was because they were so incredibly disciplined. Seems now, it's because they can't stand other people.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:56 pm
Lash wrote:
Walter--

The Finnish Diary that you were reading is from the same site I got my information.

Yes, I know. Thanks for your link..[/quote]

Lash wrote:

I used to imagine Sweden, Norway, et al were so superior. They stay out of global tangles, they keep to themselves, you hardly hear a peep out of them. I thought it was because they were so incredibly disciplined. Seems now, it's because they can't stand other people.

Even if I follow your links and your logic - I can't see any evedance, from what you got this opinion about Sweden, Norway and "et.al." (whatever countries that might be).
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:04 pm
I'm calling you out Lash

Explain yourself

Quote:
Why haven't any blacks tried Australia out? What about this drive to mistreat Asians in Australia so they'll leave and dissuade others from immigrating?

Pistols or swords? All the same to me :wink:
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:07 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Region Philbis wrote:

237 pages later...

I blame the trolls.

What for? Productivity??? Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:55 am
Lash wrote:
Nimh-- So, Australia is a black-free zone soley due to the absence of slavery? That is your assertion?

The presence of blacks in America to an overwhelming extent most surely is the result of slavery. Or are you denying that most of today's Afro-Americans are descendants of those brought there in the time of slavery?

In that light to compare Australia's lack of blacks with America's presence of them as evidence that Australia is the racist country is simply bizarre.

Hey, it's OK. Most blacks in Holland descend from inhabitants of former colonies. Same in the UK. Germany on the other hand has a lot fewer blacks, exactly because of its lack of former colonies. On the other hand, they have a lot of Turks. Australia has a lot of Asians - 7% is not a low number for a population born in recent immigration. It compares roughly with the number of Hispanics in the US (9%). So your original point was?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:26 am
nimh wrote:
Australia has a lot of Asians - 7% is not a low number for a population born in recent immigration. It compares roughly with the number of Hispanics in the US (9%).

Oops, I automatically used the percentage of Hispanic voters - exit polls pervade my mind. Of the US population overall, according to the last census, 13% is Hispanic. It was 9% in 1990.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:18 am
Just another small addition: it's somewhat funny to compare the not native population of immigration countries like the USA to emmigration countries like e.g. the named Scandinavian, I think.
0 Replies