What made you smile today?

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 06:58 am
@izzythepush,
They must be the ones responsible for my waste bin contents on the lawn.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 07:07 am
@Leadfoot,
Or Barbara Streisand’s dog, or copulating pandas.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 03:03 am
@izzythepush,
Helped a few people get their vaccine shots by helping at the phone call log to "invite" folks in the 65+ age group to get their vax because they had almost 75 left doses today (Its turning into cluster **** FROM" not enough vaccine," NOW to an overabundance because many people actually have travled over a hundred miles to get their vax shot while Ps was no 33 out of the 50 states with vaccine availability.
Now weve seemed to have caught up (Thanks to Maryland which has been issuing shots in excess of their allotments) in Pa an are now opening from just the First responders, the aged, teachers, critical employees, to the generl population.
We actually need more phone and puter contact folks and "stabbers" to inject the vax.

They are using veterinarians and Dentists in reserve.

its our "2nd worst problem" having to reach out and stab the people .

The Moderna is the one that seems to be in excess because its kept at a reasonable chill and there are 10 doses per vial.

YEP, big smile, we even had several volunteers going out for DONUTS.

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 03:08 am
@farmerman,
OH yeh, and Mrs F reported that we had 6 more lambs born since midnite 3/16. Im doing barn duty and she will be on the vax phone lines , Think Ill lie down and get som ZZZ;s

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 06:07 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Helped a few people get their vaccine shots by helping at the phone call log to "invite" folks in the 65+ age group to get their vax because they had almost 75 left doses today (Its turning into cluster **** FROM" not enough vaccine," NOW to an overabundance because many people actually have travled over a hundred miles to get their vax shot while Ps was no 33 out of the 50 states with vaccine availability.
Now weve seemed to have caught up (Thanks to Maryland which has been issuing shots in excess of their allotments) in Pa an are now opening from just the First responders, the aged, teachers, critical employees, to the generl population.
We actually need more phone and puter contact folks and "stabbers" to inject the vax.

They are using veterinarians and Dentists in reserve.

its our "2nd worst problem" having to reach out and stab the people .

The Moderna is the one that seems to be in excess because its kept at a reasonable chill and there are 10 doses per vial.

YEP, big smile, we even had several volunteers going out for DONUTS.

Good work, FM. The world needs more people like you and the Mrs.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 02:13 pm
@farmerman,
One of the questions on Pointless yesterday was about countries with more than 5 million living sheep. Apparently there are fifty of them. The USA was the third most popular answer after Australia and New Zealand, but what was really surprising was that the USA just made over five million, which considering its size shows sheep farming is in a decline over there. Yemen and Romania both have the same amount of sheep and Argentina has about 13 million.

Keep up the good work, you’re part of a dying breed.

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 05:11 am
@izzythepush,
sheep farming was never a growth industry. Market lamb is a premium meat in fine dining and its a commodity in Greek and HAlal :sammich shops". Gyros are big all over. Outside of that,lamb is not that popular except as ethnic food the non-prime cuts are not popular.

Weve raised Corriedales mostly for the fancy wool which Mrs F has mixed with alpaca or silk that she imports . Its more a "boutique" business as are our Dexter and Red Cattle. We keep a few Angus for the meat sales mostly sold at auction. We are gradually phasing out of business over the next 5 years and we will mostly "rent" our pastures and grow quality orchard grass (High protein strains developed for the humid EAst)

We have fairly shitty hay here in the EAstern US .Mostly because we dont have a sustained dry season. Best alfalfa is grownin NEvada where they use pivot irrigation and can plan when to leave the hay dry in field.

Its like when we lived in California, out there, in the hot dry summers, you could plan picnics months in advance. Back East we have "rain dates" because we cant count on dry weather in spring and summer.

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 05:17 am
@farmerman,
The best places to raise sheep are in huge savannah/almost deert environments. Sheep are thrifty and will be able to graze in the crappiest of land. Where our Bureau of LAnd Management owns large (UK sized) plots of lans, they usually store it and will lease grazing rights. So I have friends in NM who have farms less than 1000 Acres and who raise 30000 sheep mostly grazed on BLM land. Our grasses are bad hay but make for EXCELLENT grazing , so what do we raise in the US????

DAIRY CATTLE. (Still cant make decent Brie Cheese in a factory)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 06:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
(Still cant make decent Brie Cheese in a factory
In 1793, François Joachim Esnue-Lavallée praised Brie : "Brie, loved by rich and poor alike, preached equality before anyone had ever imagined it possible". Taillyrand called Brie the "king of cheeses", Metternich a "prince among cheeses and the first in desserts".
But they all were referring to the raw cow's milk cheese (25 litres of milk for a 3.5 kg cheese).

The production time for Brie is about two months in total, which might be another obstacle for the US industrialised cheesemakers.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 06:19 am
@farmerman,
Plenty of Somerset Brie as well as all the Cheddar.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 07:35 am
Quote:
Casu marzu: The world's 'most dangerous' cheese
(CNN) — The Italian island of Sardinia sits in the middle of the Tyrrhenian Sea, gazing at Italy from a distance. Surrounded by a 1,849-kilometer coastline of white sandy beaches and emerald waters, the island's inland landscape rapidly rises to form hills and impervious mountains.

And it is within these edgy curves that shepherds produce casu marzu, a maggot-infested cheese that, in 2009, the Guinness World Record proclaimed the world's most dangerous cheese.

Cheese skipper flies, Piophila casei, lay their eggs in cracks that form in cheese, usually fiore sardo, the island's salty pecorino.

Maggots hatch, making their way through the paste, digesting proteins in the process, and transforming the product into a soft creamy cheese.

Then the cheesemonger cracks open the top -- which is almost untouched by maggots -- to scoop out a spoonful of the creamy delicacy.

It's not a moment for the faint-hearted. At this point, the grubs inside begin to writhe frantically.

Some locals spin the cheese through a centrifuge to merge the maggots with the cheese. Others like it au naturel. They open their mouths and eat everything.

If you are able to overcome the understandable disgust, marzu has a flavor that is intense with reminders of the Mediterranean pastures and spicy with an aftertaste that stays for hours.

Some say it's an aphrodisiac. Others say that it could be dangerous for human health as maggots could survive the bite and and create myiasis, micro-perforations in the intestine, but so far, no such case has been linked to casu marzu.

The cheese is banned from commercial sale, but Sardinians have been eating it, jumping grubs included, for centuries.

"The maggot infestation is the spell and delight of this cheese," says Paolo Solinas, a 29-year-old Sardinian gastronome.

He says some Sardinians cringe at the thought of casu marzu, but others raised on a lifetime of salty pecorino unabashedly love its strong flavors.

"Some shepherds see the cheese as a unique personal pleasure, something that just a few elects can try," Solinas adds.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/casu-marzu-worlds-most-dangerous-cheese/index.html
https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/q_auto,w_634,c_fill,g_auto,h_357,ar_16:9/http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210317164505-casu-marzu-2-1.jpg
It's illegal to sell or buy casu marzu.
BillW

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 08:05 am
@BillW,
I really like brie and camembert, but no way could I eat casu marzu!
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 09:54 am
@BillW,
Maggot poop cheese, amazing!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 10:13 am
@BillW,
When that was shown on the Food and Drink programme over here the makers were surprised with the amount of enquiries asking how to get it.

Not me, I put it in the same category as knob cheese. Actually knob cheese sounds slightly more palatable.
BillW

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 10:52 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Actually knob cheese sounds slightly more palatable.

Uhhhhhhhh, no!😝

Not that I would consume casu marzu either. 🤔
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 04:31 pm
@BillW,
Still thinking about how much I enjoyed the fresh crab we had for dinner yesterday.
BillW

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 04:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I just consumed a few bbq ribs, fried okra and some collard greens - hurrah for the good food! But, I only have it every 6 months, or so.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 08:36 pm
My lovely wife got her 1st COVID injection today. In two days, she will have approximately 76% efficacy against the disease; and on April 15th she will get her 2nd shot for 95% efficacy. Not only a smile but so much relief!!!!!!!!!!!!
Builder

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 09:58 pm
@BillW,
Bill, did they say which brand she received? There's clouds of doubt surrounding the AstraZeneca jabs around the globe at the moment, and because the AU govt stated we're not to know if we're getting the Pfizer of AZ jabs, people here are backing off from getting any jabs.
BillW

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2021 12:11 am
@Builder,
She got Moderna vaccine, same as me. I've already had my two shots.
0 Replies