What made you smile today?

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 04:45 am
@ehBeth,
On Wednesday of this week a guy who lives near the state line had a "family" cookout.
It was raining a lot the last few days and his party day was no different. So,, he analyzes that an outdoor barbecue doesnt work too well in the rain so he figures " why not barbecue in the basement and set up the whole grill next to the open Bilco door , that way he'll have easy access to the in and the out.
ITEM 1."WHAT CAN POSSIBLY GO WRONG??"

Hes cookin away on his grill and its loaded with burgers and ribs.I guess he had too much stuff on the grill cause it flared up and started belching flame out the side (I guess it was charcoal which as anyone with half a brain knows is the BEST for imparting that burnt flesh grilling flavor to meats.

Well, He tries to put out the flare up and discovers that, in setting up his big SMOKEY (tm) hes blocked the doorway with this massive grill which has a chimney that could start a fire in his basement(especially when the dam thing is flaming and smoking like a rocket nozzle). The doorway and his special OSB siding around the doorway is quickly engulfed in flame. SO, he does what any real man would do, DUMP THE WHOLE THING OUT ON TH BASEMENT FLOOR. Now this woulda worked well if it wasnt for the kerosene cans in which he stores his winter fuel. He had at least on can topped up with kero.
NOW WHERE WAS EVERYBODY ELSA YOU MAY ASK??? The folks he invited to his cookout? (These were his biker buddies-we have a lot of bikers and klansmen that have these summer homes down by te Mason Dixon)
Well, as I undertand,,Everyone that were earlier in the house were down by his pond either fishing , drinking or firing his collction of automatic weapons in the rain so he was sorta
all on his own with his flaming burgers and beef .
Fortunately a passing AMish man in his buggy, who HAS A CELL PHONE calls the fire company.

Fire company gets there and puts the fire out using a big field sprayer that sits atop their pumper truck like a rocket launcher.

This guy is actually known to the "system" because he had his house catch fire twice before over the years as he started fires by engaging his wood stove when his chimney was poked through his OSB framed
house covered by this plastic siding .
His insurance company first jacked up his premiums and then later cancelled him after he refused to do the stuff the insurance adjuster required him to to make his house less "fire friendly".
I think the primary fire friendly thing at that house is him.

It ended with some more good stories about this yahoo. Noone was hurt and yesterday he began reframing his basement "Bilco door" with what looked like 2X4's.

For all other concerns, refer back to item 1. above.
chai2

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 07:20 am
@farmerman,
A great story indeed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 09:58 am
@chai2,
https://i.imgur.com/wWb1rWGl.jpg

Quote:
Police in the northern German city of Kiel said on Saturday that they were struck by one of their strangest traffic violations yet: a naked man, cycling at an impressive 47 kilometers per hour (29 miles per hour) in a 30 zone.

Wearing only shoes, the man was caught by a speed camera at about 11:30 pm local time, heading in the direction of downtown Kiel on the evening of July 21st, a Saturday.

The incident came as Germany is dealing with an unprecedented heatwave.

Luckily, as the local Kieler Nachtrichten noted, the man is not going to have to pay his speeding ticket — as his identity remains unknown.
(dw
chai2

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 11:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
He wasn't naked.

I clearly see shoes and socks.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 01:55 pm
@chai2,
yes but he aint wearing a HELMET, so he must be from PA.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2018 07:22 pm
I learned a new word today: allofeeding,
It refers to the male bird of a species putting food into the mouth of a female. It occurs during courtship as a signal that the guy is a loving and caring potential mate, and also after breeding.
There are two pair of cardinals that regularly visit my feeders. One is an older couple, looking a bit like a middle-aged couple. The male placed seed after seed in his lady's beak. She seemed to appreciate it. But there was no real romance involved, as in "Honey, look! I peeled you a grape."
Then there is the younger couple. He is darned handsome and he knows it. When I watch him I can't help thinking of Narcissus, the lad who gave us the word that seems to be thrown about a lot lately.
He is a brilliant red and for awhile had a yellowish hue on his wings which, when folded, formed a V on his back. It looked neat, resembling the V logo for UVA's sports teams.
Alas, he is easily distracted. He gives a seed or two to his girl friend but then he flies off. Yesterday he repeated this several times. I found out today that the NFL's Arizona team was playing on television. He probably was watching that game and he would return to her during commercial breaks.
Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 07:57 am
@realjohnboy,
That could be considered a cardinal sin, couldn't it?

As for Allofeeding, my ex-wife was into holistic nutrition and alternative medicine. She often would feed me these weird concoctions. One of them was a cocktail that had Aloe juice in it. Hence our marital status became EX.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:32 pm
Picking perfect tomatoes from a plant that grew itself.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 11:20 pm
@Builder,
My sister called to say we're having a sibling luncheon again soon.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2018 09:31 pm
Dinner at nice Italian restaurant in SMA. 3 entrees, 2 salads, 2 desserts, glass on wine and 2 soft drinks....about $50. Best eggplant parmigiana I have ever had.

Tell me again why I should come back?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:43 am
@chai2,
You left the oven on?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 07:53 pm
70 degrees F right now. Will be a low of 55.
chai2

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 01:16 pm
@chai2,
Finally found a butter in Mexico that actually tastes like butter. Lurpak is the brand. Not the best but much better than anything else I’ve tried.
margo

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 02:35 am
@chai2,
Danish butter in Mexico? Wow!
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 07:57 am
@margo,
Oh yeah. They got indoor plumbing and everything.

People gotta stop thinking Trumps fantasy is all there is.
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 08:36 am
@chai2,
There’s a PetSmart at a little center down the Calle from me. I bought some Hills Science Diet Jerky Mini Strip doggie treats for my neighbors dogs, Joch and Mika. They only get 1 a day from me.

Yesterday I left the house with 2 in my hand in case they were around. They weren’t, but my other neighbor Johnny from Mexico City was, so we chatted. He glanced at my hand and I said “these are for Mika and Joch, but don’t tell Marianna”

He leaned in an whispered “I got the same ones. Don’t tell Marianna” Very Happy

Joch says Marianna doesn’t have to know everything, and Mika agrees.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 09:52 am
@chai2,
Are those treats the dogs are allowed to have?

I'm sure you mean well but please don't give them treats without letting the owners know. A friend's dog just ran into some serious medical difficulties because of something like this. Sad
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:02 pm
@ehBeth,
They’re fine with treats. I see Marianna and her husband giving them the same ones. I know what you’re saying though.

When I bought the house it was just the shell. No doors or windows. Joch and Mika used the place as their private fort. When I’d pull up they would pop their heads out an upstairs window then rush downstairs to “guard” the gate. The triplex of townhouses are behind a gate and secure wall so they have the run of the entire property. I often leave the door open so they can come in and out as they please. The owners know about that and are fine with it. i’m sure they are relieved that both neighbors like their very well behaved dogs.

Misbehaving dogs are not tolerated here. Most places, even in Centro, dogs are allowed to roam at will, and are very street smart as far as traffic, etc. They don’t form packs and are amazingly docile. They aren’t pampered, but they aren’t mistreated or neglected either. If you see a dog on a lease 8 times out of 10 it’s a gringos.

It isn’t until you get out into the country where you start to see animals that are hungry and ignored. It’s a different culture.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 01:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Oh yeah. They got indoor plumbing and everything.

People gotta stop thinking Trumps fantasy is all there is.

How's the tap water though?
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 02:40 pm
@McGentrix,
Great. I shower in it every day.

There a 42 meter long fresh water pool about 10 miles from my house that I try to get to most days. It’s fed from underground thermal springs. The pool is so big the heat dissipates enough that it’s not too hot to swim. 19 laps makes about a mile. Next to it is a I’d say 400 sq foot hot tub that gets nice and hot. There’s a cold pool next to that but I don’t go in that. Some do after the hot water.

The water in the pipes doesn’t stain the toilets or sinks or anything, and is clean and clear.

For drinking everyone does use bottled water, which is cheap and plentiful. Don’t know what would happen if one drank it, but since Mexican friends don’t, I’m not curious to find out. I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick, so I’m thinking it’s a combination of safety, taste and habit.

But, you already knew that everyone drinks bottled water in Mexico, didn’t you?

It’s raining cats and dogs all of a sudden.
0 Replies