What made you smile today?

roger

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 03:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
At least it doesn't really last for 48 hours.
BillW

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 03:21 pm
@roger,
I really wonder if she did stayed in the bathroom for 48 hours? As far as a short skit, she covered all bases.
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:41 pm
@BillW,
This quote....

There should be a place where people who hate mayo can get treatment. A clinic, perhaps. Laughing
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 03:44 pm
The resurgence of the old "Daddy has a harbor seal" thread!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 04:10 pm
not sure if this is a smile or a grimace

we got our first heat alert of the summer ... on the first day of autumn

humidex of 40 C for the next few days

do I want to go out and walk a couple of km to the pool and then back again? I do want to swim ...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2017 10:19 pm
Having fun getting stuff ready for renting the house in San Miguel de Allende that I'm closing on in November.

When I go down there I'm going to be bringing travel size bottles of toiletries, first aide, etc. Plus spun ring towels I found on a hotel supply site (thanks pool buddy Connie), a small Keurig and other items I can get cheaper in the states.

Actually, I've been smiling a lot.
When I told the realtors I'd be making an offer, they asked me if I'd like to see some staging furniture they wanted to get rid of. It was in a recently sold house that in my part of the country would have sold for a couple of million dollars.

An entire house of new furniture, including all the bedding/comforters/sheets, sofa, I think maybe 5 or 6 various other chairs, a 2nd couch that folds down into an extra bed, king size bed, full size bed, 2 dining room tables and their chairs (one set will go on the rooftop terrace), cocktail and end tables, 2 or 3 wall mirrors......

for $3,000.

Through my friend who lives there, I've gotten to know someone who makes his living by being "the man who makes things happen" He's the hombre who has the inside track, and makes himself indispensable. With a phone call, he's the one who'll send people to pick it all up, store it, and deliver to the house upon closing. For $800. Well worth it.

Funny story. While eating breakfast one day down there, before even seeing the house, friend says, "oh look it's Mario" He sweeps in, looking like a cross between Capt Jack Sparrow and Douglas Fairbanks in The Thief of Bagdad, kisses everyone hello, and chats for a moment, my friend saying that of course I'd be needing him for various things in the coming months. "Of course, of course", Mario enthuses. While talking, someone across the restaurant waves hello. He responds with a flourish of his Panama hat. Then he says "Excuse me, I have to go meet some new clients"

Turns out it's the table of Americans sitting right behind us, who are now sitting in awe at this phenomena, and who already can't believe their luck.

I know it sounds like bragging, but this whole thing is just falling together like a charm.

Mario....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNTA0MjAxNDkzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDU1NDU5MTE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:00 pm
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22046848_10155811716723417_3052267068996663047_n.jpg?oh=a5a29b881a69c735a55922eb2036bb61&oe=5A4759F7

while looking at my friend's photo

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22050335_10154741372171945_2594134790277957590_n.jpg?oh=9dde992478343ffffedb838902ec0563&oe=5A445DEF

everyone's in town today

Prince Harry, Jill, Joe, Barack, Hillary

come to Tranna

we've got it going on

one of my dance instructors missed the fact that she was in an elevator with Barack this morning Laughing

tomorrow Bruce Springsteen (who I totally don't get) will be here for the closing of the Invictus Games

Big excitement.
BillW

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 08:12 pm
@ehBeth,
My smile, look at the two black guys over Jill and Barack's shoulders in the 1st picture. They are reverse images of each other. And, what is the look on each others faces? Not surprise, not wonderment or quizzical, but what? Love it!

Do you know who the guy Barack is talking to is? Looks familar.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 08:25 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

My smile, look at the two black guys over Jill and Barack's shoulders in the 1st picture. They are reverse images of each other.

I thought they were Barack's security guys - looking opposite directions. Or maybe one of them is actually watching the game Smile and the other is doing the security bit.
BillW

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 09:05 pm
@ehBeth,
That's who they are, Men in Black.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 03:29 pm
laid

played

plaid

hmmmm

Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 09:45 am
google's take on grandparents' day in Italy

https://www.google.com/logos/doodles/2017/grandparentss-day-2017-italy-6001218118746112-2xa.gif
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 11:11 am
@ehBeth,
heh.

My first thought was I don't know if you'd find too many people with 4 grandchilden in Italy.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 06:10 am
@chai2,
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 04:52 am
@tsarstepan,
So we go away for a while and when we got back Home last Thursday, I went around an did an inspection to see whether any drunks plowed into our pasture fences. Well good news there, saves me some mony getting fences redone.
Instead, I was walking around an area by a larger field where we have a maple and few river birch trees planted in a corner (outside the fences). Id planted lotsa ground covers to anchor the trees and used hostas. As I rode around Wvery goddam hosta plant was eaten. I asked some of the Amish kids who walk through our fields on the way to and from school.
"Did you guys see anything eating thes here plants"? I hoqed the kids the hot stumps.
"Oh yeh" they said
"It was a whole bunch of deer'
This Am I got up and ent down here to mess around on A2K, and I noted the outside spot lights ll on. (We have a timer nd a proximity relay that turn the lights on rl lte at night of nyone trips the sensors"

HOLY CRAP, I counted 12 damn deer right in my back yard. Like they own the place.
I called my wife nd ked her if I can keep em and she was just chared by them. We now have our own herd of deer living between the barns nd the clothesline. Im gonna turn the spotlights totally off . Theyve got the hosta pretty much snippd down. I hoope it will return in the spring. (They die off after frosts hit anyway an youd never know where they were untill they bud out in the spring. I think I shall make many cuttings next March

izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 04:58 am
@farmerman,
Deer are incredible, they're very good at hiding so you don't know they're there. We get them in Southampton, not in the street, in the parks of which there are many, but you very rarely see them.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 06:24 am
@izzythepush,
Our white tail deer are crafty littleguys. They arent as big as an elk and they have habituated rural crop fields and gardens and take their toll of our alfalfa . So our local herds are well fed and numerous. They can hide in plain sight and are a real danger to drivers during the fall rut (like NOW) nd during the spring when fawns are born and the herd just spends time "visiting relatives".

Fortunately our Amish neighbors look on deer as tasty livestock so we have signs that weve agreed upon for the Amish tractor and buggy drivers to see among us all. If weve got nuisance deer we spray paint and put up a bright green bucket lid on a roadside pasture fence so everyone knows its open for hunting. The Amish are great for bow and bow -gun hunting and they all consider venison a delicacy. I cant gag it down tastes mealy and bitter to me but , hey, thats why we got vanilla and bacon flavored ice cream
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 06:39 am
@farmerman,
We get two kinds of wild deer here: red deer (and silka as well), but they rarely come here, mainly live a couple of miles more southwars in the hilly/mountain region. And roe deer, quite a lot.

My family name, btw, means (in Old Saxon) the meadow [fenced or free place, whomever you believe] where the hind comes out.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 06:40 am
We still have deer around here, but they are getting squeezed out by new construction. When I was a teen and working, we used to drive around San Marcos to get to a job. There, they were so numerous, I counted 198, on the passenger side only, on one trip. I would guess that encroaching civilization has likely cut their numbers, by now.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 06:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Mulies? or white tails? We use to see some tiny deer species down nar buffalo bayou(alligator snack sized)