@glitterbag,
Hi - always great to see you!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:32 am
@vonny,
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:10 am
Plans tonight to go to a Latin Jazz performance at a nearby Ethiopian restaurant with a group of friends I got to know through classes at dance studios around town. I'm smiling thinking about it all - music, friends, injera, beer, chocolate, spiced Ethi-tea. And of course the pile of snow about to be dumped on us Smile
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:44 am
@ehBeth,
Does Canada account for the largest per capita consumption of Hot Chocolate of any nation in the Galaxy?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 09:55 am
@farmerman,
Not that I know of. It's not that commonly available.

We do consume more KD than any other group of humans.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/kraft-dinner-officially-adopts-its-made-in-canada-nickname-1.2495727

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/02/21/why-do-canadians-eat-so-much-kraft-mac-n-cheese/

Quote:
Anyway, Kraft macaroni and cheese is somewhat of a Canadian national dish, definitely more iconic childhood to young adulthood sustenance than here. It just is. We just make the stuff into Spongebobs. They eat it by the boatload. Seriously, according to Wikipedia, they eat over 50% more of it than Americans, and while we’re on the fact-spouting train, of the 7 million boxes sold all over the world each week, Canadians consume 1.7 million of them. A former prime minister also named it as his favorite food
ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:02 am
@farmerman,
you've reminded me of a story

I was working as a hostess for the on-site posh restaurant for the Sailing Olympics (met the Queen and all that jazz) in my hometown

anyway

after the Swedish team <swoooooon Swedish men in Speedos> won gold in an event, they came into the restaurant. they wanted hot chocolate. blank stares all around. I went to talk to the chef then left in a cab to buy the ingredients. The chef prepared the hot chocolate while the bartender figured out what he could serve it in. I practiced walking backwards in heels with a tray of empty mugs and then delivered two trays of hot chocolate to the team. It was pretty wonderful being a starstruck teen being praised by a dozen beautiful men.

__

other smile-making memory from that event - meeting the mayor of Tallinn, Estonia and receiving a personal invitation to the Sailing Olympics which would be held there in 1980. I couldn't go because of my mother's iffy relationship with East Germany and Russia. I still have the folder with the invitation.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:14 am
@ehBeth,
Ah, a long time pal left Tallinn as a child with her family, fleeing first to Sweden and then to the US. No chance they will get their big family home back; she tried to claim it for her children years later. What makes me smile about it? our friendship.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:19 am
@ehBeth,
Its the fat and salt content of K mac n cheese.
(We make it that way so as not to offend the Merkin Republicans who are,as a species, rather insecure in their own sexuality and , are required by membership in their party to eschew cheeses of any kind except for Mac, n... and velveeta cheese food in a cheeseburger. ( all GOP approved foods containing "cheeses" must be made with artificial "CHEESELON" ( we true cheese eaters call it that)
ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:51 am
@farmerman,
mac n cheese is American

KD is Canajun

I bet there are quite a few Canadians who wouldn't know what you were talking about if you asked them about mac n cheese, even if they were inhaling their 4th or 5th serving of KD that week at the time.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:25 am
My new eyeballs. OK, just the lenses.
It is so weird being able to see w/o glasses
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:10 pm
@ehBeth,
same stuff different box?

My wife makes a family recipe mac and cheese with tomatoes in there. Other than that, I dont much care for it.
George

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:11 pm
@Leadfoot,
How are you doing getting them in and out?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:11 pm
@Leadfoot,
you oughta have em do something about your ears Dobby,
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:18 pm
spent the morning herding the chicken. Saw the hawks and dont wann lose any more so I put em in thir coop. I have two chickens that follow me around all over so when Im outside they are right by my side like puppy dogs. Well, today they jumped up on the tractor bucket and as I was driving down the road, these two chickens are sitting on the raised bucket like tourists in a jitney. I had no idea where they got it from. I didnt teach em and its the first time they were near the tractor.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:24 pm
@farmerman,
same stuff, same box, different name

we don't eat mac and cheese, we eat KD (even if made from scratch - we call it homemade KD)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 01:49 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

My new eyeballs. OK, just the lenses.
It is so weird being able to see w/o glasses

Cataracts? Lasik?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 09:37 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Cataracts? Lasik?

Cataracts, so had lens replacement. I was starting to think the world was painted by Monet.
My eye Dr. recommended against Lasik even without cataracts.
Seeing the results now, I think he made the right call.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 09:45 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
you oughta have em do something about your ears Dobby,

Was going to but GF said she liked 'em that way.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:09 pm

after snapping off the left nose piece on my glasses yet again, i got a free replacement at an eye glass shop downtown -- free of charge...
Smile
0 Replies