What made you smile today?

margo

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 04:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We all know David love guns over life. The Second Amendment is more important to David than all the kids who harm themselves or others with guns, and guns used in crime.

If that's correct, then that's the MOST damning statement ever!

The rest of the world really struggles with the US attitude to guns.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 04:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Just some rain now, btrflynt. The storm has stayed mostly out to sea, several hundred miles south of here. Passed the Big Island early this morning and is now probably somewhere between Maui and Oahu, but still out to sea. The rain isn't even unusually heavy. Thnx for asking.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 04:55 pm
@margo,
From ABC News.
Quote:
U.S. Has More Guns – And Gun Deaths – Than Any Other Country, Study Finds
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 05:18 pm
Finally, something in the news that made me smile.
Quote:
Obama's credit card declined at fancy restaurant
By Kevin Liptak,
CNN White House Producer
October 17, 2014

(CNN) -- Ever had your credit card turned down at a fancy restaurant?

President Obama can commiserate.

Speaking to workers at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in Washington on Friday, he recalled a moment last month when, at the end of a dinner out in New York City, his plastic was declined.

"I guess I don't use it enough, so they thought there was some fraud going on," he said. "Luckily, Michelle had hers. I was trying to explain to the waitress that I've really been paying my bills."

The President and first lady dined at Estela in downtown Manhattan during Obama's stay in New York for the annual United Nations General Assembly session in September...
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/obama-credit-card/index.html

I can only imagine how the waitress felt, telling the Prez his card was declined. I hope Michelle left her a large tip. Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 05:28 pm
@firefly,
I saw that! In order to keep one's credit card active, it has to be used. I think inactive cards are automatically canceled.

That happened to me with Macy's recently - to my big advantage. I used my Macy's credit card to get an extra 15% discount on my purchases, but the credit card machine didn't accept it. I also had a coupon for an extra 15% discount. The salesman said that if I opened a 'new' Macy's account, I can get an extra 20% discount, so I did. The sports coat and the Samsonite luggage were both on sale, and with the discounts, the total discounts ended up to be about 68% of the original retail price. They now have sales on Rockport shoes (my favorite), so I'm planning to visit Macy's again tomorrow.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 06:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
My argument here is that David posted to the wrong thread.
He gloats over anything involving violence via firearm.
Okay, but I doubt there are many posters here who'll smile about
the sad and somber fact that someone was shot dead in Arizona.
Its NOT sad, Andy. It is a cause for JOY,
because evil was ended and we r all safer in consequence!!!

I used to go to the movies and cheer when the bad guy weirdo was killed
and I felt sad that the victims (un-armed and weaker than he) got killed,
tho arguably thay brought it on themselves by marching around un-armed, comparable to not wearing seatbelts.

Being un-armed is grossly irresponsible and arguably indecent.

U favor protection of the evil. I don t.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:02 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Finally, something in the news that made me smile.
Quote:
Obama's credit card declined at fancy restaurant
By Kevin Liptak,
CNN White House Producer
October 17, 2014

(CNN) -- Ever had your credit card turned down at a fancy restaurant?

President Obama can commiserate.

Speaking to workers at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in Washington on Friday, he recalled a moment last month when, at the end of a dinner out in New York City, his plastic was declined.

"I guess I don't use it enough, so they thought there was some fraud going on," he said. "Luckily, Michelle had hers. I was trying to explain to the waitress that I've really been paying my bills."

The President and first lady dined at Estela in downtown Manhattan during Obama's stay in New York for the annual United Nations General Assembly session in September...
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/obama-credit-card/index.html

I can only imagine how the waitress felt, telling the Prez his card was declined. I hope Michelle left her a large tip. Wink

The waitress probably enjoyed it, if she voted against him.
That reminds me of when I had the experience of being rear-ended by the police in NY,
whereupon I went to the offending police car and demanded to see his license and registration. That was fun.

David
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Please don't try and tell me what I favor. You can have absolutely no knowledge of that. I favor reasonable and sane behavior by reasonable and sane people and the isolation of those who are not deemed reasonable or sane.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Please don't try and tell me what I favor.
You can have absolutely no knowledge of that.
From your posts, we KNOW that.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I favor reasonable and sane behavior by reasonable and sane people and the isolation
of those who are not deemed reasonable or sane.
Let them all be isolated
below the surface of the Earth, like this criminal;
either that, or restrain themselves from criminal violence.
I don t think that 's asking too much.

David
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:42 pm
The old dog yipping in his sleep this afternoon.

It's been a while since we've noticed him doing that. He's getting to be a very old boy - 18 years old in December - and he just doesn't have the adventures he used to.

It was nice to think he was chasing squirrels or raccoons or something equally fun in his dreams at least.

http://www.manuelsweb.com/images/gabbys/chase_150.png
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Re my own dreams, they usually have to do with people some while ago, if I catch who they are. Something like ten years at least.

I can see that happening with dogs too.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Lovely post.

Made me feel all mushy.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 04:29 pm
@nimh,
What made me smile today is when I learned that Democrats got considerably more politic money than what Republicans got from their billionaire sugar daddies
chai2

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 05:33 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Well, it was yesterday, but still smile worthy today.

Went with Shewolf and Bean to where they are moving to by the end of the month. 5 acres.

I haven't seen her so happy and peaceful for a long time. Bean is happy and excited about the move to. We were looking around her school, and went into the empty school playground so us old folks could sit around, and B. could explore. Within 10 minutes a couple of local kids were skateboarding down the street, and there was hanging out (in the distance away from us dumb adults of course) and god knows what kind of information exchanged.

Things look good.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 05:51 pm
@chai2,
Oh Good! I think that answers a question I've been worrying about for some time. That's my smile for today.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:38 am
What's keeping a smile on my face tonight is that I just came from a matinee performance of La cage aux folles by the Hilo Community Theatre Group. One doesn't generally expect to feel having been temporarily transported to a Broadway production when attending a performance of this sort. Well, guess what. "Community" doesn't necessarily mean "amateur", does it?

The music director of this troupe is Cheryl Hardwick, better known as "Quack" Moore, who , prior to semi-retiring to Hawaii, was a band member/composer/music director for "Saturday Night Live" and has won two Emmys as a composer for "Sesame Street." The choreographer for this production, Michael Misita, is a graduate of the Boston Conservatory of Music and has appeared in nine Broadway productions. He also won a Cleo award for singing and dancing in the first Dr. Pepper musical commercial on TV.

Just an incredibly high level of professionalism all around.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 09:04 am
On Saturday, The Lovely Bride, Rhys and I baby-sat my grandson Max, so
my daughter and son-in-law could have a "date night". At one point Max
was snuggled up while the Bride fed him his bottle. She was in Grandma
Heaven.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 01:23 pm
Being given a beautiful orchid in a very lovely vase by neighbours as a gift for looking after their cat whilst they were on holiday. (Not a chore - the cat is a darling, so it was a pleasure).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 02:57 pm
@vonny,
vonny wrote:
Being given a beautiful orchid in a very lovely vase by neighbours
as a gift for looking after their cat whilst they were on holiday.
(Not a chore - the cat is a darling, so it was a pleasure).
Is there a holiday between Labor Day and Halloween ??
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Usually, 'Holiday' in the UK is 'vacation' in the US.

Also, we don't have Labour day.