What made you smile today?

George

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 05:56 am
@roger,
http://www.newyorker.com/images/2013/05/13/p290/130513_contest_p290.jpg
A reference to the "Caption the Cartoon" thread.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 06:06 am
@George,

http://beautyofthebible.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/oh-crap.jpg
George

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 06:09 am
@Region Philbis,
Har!
That made me smile.
vonny

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 09:43 am
@George,
Me too!
BillW

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 12:11 pm
@vonny,
Quote:
What made you smile today?

That when I woke up this morning, I didn't have dirt for breakfast Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 01:05 pm
Vonny
Love those giraffes!
vonny

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 01:13 pm
@margo,
Quote:
Love those giraffes!

I'm fast becoming addicted to them - make me smile every time!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 08:20 pm
@vonny,
Getting a hug from a panhandler.

I was at an unfamiliar streetcar stop on my way home after an errand tonight. A fellow asked me for some money. I told him if I had a lot of spare money, I'd be in a cab, not waiting for a streetcar. He dug into his pocket and offered me a dollar. I told him it was ok, I'd wait for the streetcar.

We somehow talked about both being tired. He then told me he'd just started working earlier this week after some bad times (which appears to have included a bit of jail time for public intoxication and dui) but that he wouldn't be paid til tomorrow. He was looking for money for cigarettes, some bread and ham so he could have breakfast before going to work tomorrow.

I told him I'd prefer not to give him any cash but that I would be willing to buy him a sandwich. He accepted very happily. We went into a nearby grocery store, looked at some of the fancy prepared sandwich options and I bought him a box with 4 small prepared panini sandwiches with meat and cheese and condiments. I made sure he had the receipt so the store wouldn't bug him about having the sandwiches (he didn't look the rest of their kinda fancy customers).

As we left the store he told me he'd sit down in the nearby food court and eat two of the paninis - save the other two for tomorrow.

I wished him a safe evening. He thanked me over and over for the food. I told him I needed to leave to go home.

He then stopped me and said uhhhh can I and moved forward. I thought he was asking to shake my hand (lots of panhandlers want to shake my hand) and stood still, at which point he leaned in and gave me a big awkward hug, said thank you again and god bless.

I was moving away when he said I hope we see each other again. I said I hope not - he looked shocked - then I said I hope we both have better days ahead and don't meet because he needs food and I'm exhausted. He smiled, sat down, and started unpacking his sandwiches.

Then I went outside and smiled at some hipsters who grimaced when they almost smiled in return.

It was win-win all the way.

Very Happy
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 05:50 am
@ehBeth,
You know..........giving is the most rewarding thing, establishing that you were right and he needed it, priceless. This is a fantastic post.. He opted to help you yet needed help....

Something you will remember for the rest of your life and something you did with assurance and could walk away knowing you did good.

XX

Beautiful.
BillW

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 01:01 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I hope, in all sincerity, that he was telling the truth about the job and it is a stepping stone of a bright future. And, ehBeth, I hope you are feeling much less tired today - I am because (me thinks anyways) I figured out that I wasn't getting oxygen through my bipap at night, now I am; and, the doctor prescribed a course of prednisone that has removed the debilitating sciatica pain I have been experiencing lately, ahhhhhh! That makes me smile! Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 01:04 pm
@BillW,
Good news indeed, Bill.
BillW

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 01:21 pm
@ossobuco,
indeed, indeed - now, I may be able to play a round of golf Monday and get in some fishing over the weekend! More smiles!
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:52 pm
@BillW,
That made me smile, .. Fish and Chips for dinner then ? Wink
ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:53 pm
@BillW,
Bill, I suspect there was at least some truth to the job story. There were some details he provided that made me believe it.

He was somebody's little boy once and his mom would probably be happy he ate a good meal last night.

He kept asking me if I was sure it was ok that there were four sandwiches in the box and wow he was super-excited about the little packages of mustard and mayo that came with the sandwiches.

We were both happier as a result of the interaction.

______

Now, about tired. I've just come home from the first day of a three day Intermediate Intensive Belly Dance Bootcamp. Six hours of classes today. Khaleegi, veil, Alexandrian and Saiidi dance classes.

I'm tired - but extremely happy.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 07:45 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
That made me smile, .. Fish and Chips for dinner then ? Wink
groan
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 09:48 pm
The Section 8 people approved my apartment today. That means they won't pull my housing subsidy. That in turn means I won't be stuck in a situation where my rent is exactly equal to my monthly income. That in turn pretty much means I'm not going back onto the streets this year. (I've been worried about the threat of homelessness since about March 22.)

roger

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 09:59 pm
@Kolyo,
Glad to hear that, though saddened somewhat to hear you haven't been enjoying the kind of prosperity I sometimes dream of.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 10:01 pm
@Kolyo,
Good on ya, and thanks for sharing that good news!

0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 08:57 am
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/tinymorsel/Smile_zpsf8ed0d7f.jpg
Roberta

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 10:06 am
@Debacle,
Seeing Debacle's name here made me smile.