What made you smile today?

spendius

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I only do what made me smile today on here osso. I don't answer questions.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 03:12 pm

instant messaging with my 8-year old nephew...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
My wife's friend called her to ask if she would like a live dungeness crab. That put a big smile on my face because that's my favorite. Mr. Green
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 07:48 pm
Six out of thirteen Canadian premiers are women.

The political landscape has sure changed from when I was a kid, when the only women in politics were the mothers or wives of candidates.

Yay!
dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 07:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Yay! Are they good?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 08:03 pm
@dlowan,
so far they are all pretty decent - all are better than our one brief experience with a female prime minister

#6 was just determined about an hour ago - she was a good minister in previous governments

the two final people on the ballot tonight for party leadership (and thus provincial premiership) were both women - both very strong candidates
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 10:11 am
My daughter will be working with Dr Jordan Smoller (The Other Side of Normal).
He is interested in her telomere research work.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 11:51 am
@George,
Mailed in our federal and state tax returns today. That's worth a big smile. Mr. Green
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 05:10 pm
I went to the clinic for my yearly once over lightly. Diane went with me, and then we had coffee and a treat afterwards.

- First, it wasn't as crowded as it sometimes is, thank the lord and pass the ammunition.
- next, things went fast
- an elderly woman (what am I saying?) dressed in a long black dress and black veil/head dress using a walker came and sat down next to me. I said hello to her. She smiled. I noticed a nice gold or goldish bracelet tuck out from the long sleeve nearest me.

- my name was apparently called but neither Diane nor I could decipher it. People read my name as Jo-Lene'. Guy had to actually step out of the inner door and look around. He uncheerfully suggested I progress into an assessment room, and we uncheerfulled each other until I made him laugh.
My weight, great; bp great. Doctor will be in in a minute.

- Doctor was in in a minute (what?). She seemed glad to see me, I'm an odd one, ya know. I know she remembers me.
She asked how I am. I asked how she was. And so on. (I have a flare of eczema, this time on my palms, which is ******* annoying. I didn't say f'n. She made various suggestions.) She ordered some metabolic tests and wrote a prescription renewal. Then she said she liked my sweater - I do too, so I told her about it.

- Thrift shop, old sweater, irish knit looking, the light pink color because a purple bathrobe ran in the wash. We laughed. I forgot to ask her about the flu shot.

-Went to the lab, got along with the tech. Asked about the flu shot. They don't have any more. Will they get more? No. But he suggested going to the public health place next door.
Saw the doctor in the hall and asked her opinion (though I would go to p. health anyway.) Yes, yes. Just wanted to hear her take, already knew my own.

- While I was there at the public health place, I noticed flyers for pertussis shots. I had asked about those last year. I'm so oldddddd that I both never had whooping cough and I've never been vaccinated for it. I know w. cough mostly kills small children, but it's no walk in the park if an elderly person with some compromising frailness gets it, and it's picking up in the u.s.

- Asked, and the clerical person asked, and yes, I'd get both shots.
The nurse was lovely. Meantime I'd filled out more forms, and a questionaire about allergies and yadda yadda, but one question was had you ever had radiation. I had said yes, and had written in approximate dates.

- so the nurse asked me about the radiation and I said I had breast cancer in 2001 and had some weeks of rads. She said, I have it now, treated, slightly explained. I said, they call us recovered (not coming up with the word survivors right away, another word that annoys me). To me those are used too early as boosters and almost cruel if not true.

- before she gave me the shots, we talked re which one did I want where, and so on, and this and that about if it hurt now or later.

She showed me out and I put out my hand to shake hers.
New woman I like.

Well, I like the whole place.

My doc is no dummy and the tests may yield this or that.

But this is a place I'd volunteer to work in if I could get there easily.

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 06:12 pm
@ossobuco,
You're a real brick osso.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 06:26 pm
@spendius,
I take that as a cold adjective, from online inquiry.
roger

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 08:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I haven't the slightest idea what it meant, given his and my differences (major) in background.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 02:27 am
@ossobuco,
It's a staple of Enid Blyton's lexicon, and is quite archaic now. It's generally a positive term.
0 Replies

ferrorlewis

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 02:34 am
@nimh,
your question make me smile
0 Replies

vanessa163

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 03:57 am
@nimh,
thinking of our funny moments yesterday..
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 05:28 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Main Entry: gentleperson
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: polite, well-mannered person
Synonyms: aristocrat, brick , good egg, good person, nice person, noble, scholar

Google Thesaurus.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 06:56 pm

great little simsimiyya player

I am glad the tradition will continue
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:48 pm
@spendius,
Thanks, kiddo.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 02:17 am
I've been down at Kiama, on the south coast for the Easter holidays.

A couple of weeks ago there was something like a tornado, that hit this area - and there was considerable damage in a small part of town - but not in the area I stay.

As I was leaving town today, I started to notice damaged houses, some without roofs. Then I got to the local headquarters of the Rural Fire Service.

The first thing I noticed was a very large sign "Is your roof safe?"

I thought this was fair, considering the damage done in this area. The second sign made me look, though:

"We can't find ours!"

- and then I noticed the building was entirely roofless!

Gave me a great giggle - as I turned in to the Long Weekend crawl back to Sydney!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 03:08 am
@margo,
"Is your roof safe?"

(nope)

but my walls are all white.

and it is incredibly brighter and cleaner in my shop for my efforts...
0 Replies