What made you smile today?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 06:46 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
but being made in China you might not want them within 100 yards of food.

now they're making them in Canada again

http://www.businessinsider.com/global-sticks-china-canada-2011-5

this was allllll over the news here a coupla months ago

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/commentary/jeff-rubins-smaller-world/are-chinas-factories-running-out-of-power/article2032648/

Quote:
Why has Global Sticks, a manufacturer of wooden ice cream sticks, moving from Dalian, China, to Thunder Bay, Ontario?

It’s the kind of low margin manufacturing that is never supposed to come back after it leaves North America for cheaper labour abroad.

But wage costs are no longer everything they were cracked up to be. In today’s world of soaring energy costs, power rationing and export taxes on key commodities such as wood, wage gaps are less important. When the power goes off, it suddenly doesn’t matter if your labor is expensive. Factories don’t run on sweat alone.

150 craft sticks $1
150 long wood coffee stir sticks $1
150 short wood coffee stir sticks $1

60 plastic swish n spit cups $1
40 paper swish n spit cups $1
30 paper swish n spit cups with fold out handles $1

200 tiny plastic shooter glasses $1

6 unit popsicle maker $1

I'm going to be making some gazpacho'y ice pops with the short stir sticks and paper swish n spit cups - I suspect the first batch will be more slushy than ice
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 06:54 pm
@ehBeth,
What is the difference between a craft stick and a wooden one? Are those the plastic sticks?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 06:56 pm
@ossobuco,
the craft sticks are wood - they're just packaged slightly differently (and seem a bit thicker)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 06:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Sorry, I must have jumped past the last of your listing, re the plastic sticks.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 07:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I didn't price any plastic sticks - none of the plastic options looked sturdy enough to hold up an ice pop.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 07:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Aack, I wasn't interested in plastic, just wondering about the quotes I saw. The woodies of whatever description seem accessible enough, and I trust the sturdiness needed will vary with the size of the popsicle. Whether or not it has some lime in it. (red herring) Is it beefier with sugar? Perhaps there is a sugar limit for a popsicle to work..
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 10:31 am
@ossobuco,
Today is flying ant day, (in Southampton at least). I know this may not sound like good news, unless you're a priapic ant. If you are, well done for getting on line. It means there won't be another flying ant day for another year. (That's the good news bit).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 10:57 am
@izzythepush,
Interesting. That's certainly why it is in Southampton, H ants.
(Which makes me smile, remembering my bus trips on H ants & Dorset buses at night and what the conductor said ....)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I had a couple fornicating on my car windscreen. (Ants, not people, this isn't Portsmouth).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 10:19 am
Just got a phone call:

"Hallo" young girl. "Who are you". So I told her my name and asked about hers and her age, and why she phoned me. Her name was Lydia, aged five. Her parents were just out shopping, and she had only pushed some buttons. "How can I hang up the phone" she than asked after some small talk.
It took us less than 30 seconds to discover the "red button" with the "sleeping telephone" Very Happy
hamilton

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 11:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
wow.
that made me smile.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 09:03 pm
I got to watch a beaver today. It's rare to even see them around here, and a sighting usually amounts to a glimpse of the head moving through the current. Today, she was partly out of the water, then started moving upstream. She came out from some overhanging brush with a leafy stick in her mouth, ate it, climbed out to get another, and back into the water to eat that. She went through this several times. I guess she wasn't comfortable spending time on the bank.

Our beaver don't build dams, by the way. I don't know if it's because the current is too strong, the water level varies too much, or if they're just lazy, but they don't build. I've been told the make dens in the banks.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 09:08 pm
@roger,
Cool.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:20 pm
@sozobe,
http://bites.today.com/_news/2011/07/12/7069189-bittmans-sweet-savory-and-boozy-homemade-ice-pops

the ice pops with a video of Mark B offering them to the Today show hosts
Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:49 pm
@ehBeth,
finished the painting... and breathe

<fumes Wink >

going to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - smiling, achieved.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:50 pm
@Izzie,
photos next week?

I want to see the bronze against the overt olive
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 01:47 pm
My best friend's daughter has a not-too-stimulating summer job at a small medical history museum.

She taught herself to knit again.

She's been doing a series of ocean creatures - lovely, fun, crazy, happy-making.

Then she posted this on FB

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292532_10150773296860495_724705494_21646927_631389_n.jpg

Flying Spaghetti Monster

(sure hope it shows up)
sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 03:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh cool! (Just saw this.)

If you're expecting something sweet, that avocado will be a surprise for sure. (It ain't sweet.)

edit: I like FSM too!! She's talented.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
that picture. that picture made me smile.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 04:39 pm
@hamilton,
Me too. Beth, congratulate the knitter of wit..