What made you smile today?

JPB

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 07:55 pm
I didn't know you could buy crushed beets.

Kudos to Andy, rjb. It sounds like he's pulling lots of things together and making it work.
0 Replies

zhjuan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 04:56 pm
I haven't smile all day, I laughed.
Today, I have a normal day out with my classmate, working on visual research in an art gallery. We joked with each other all the way, did the usual, nothing extraordinary, just a normal peaceful day out with a group of mates, feel happy and peaceful, first time in a long while.

Today, I have finally collected the last bit of tips that I need for my struggle. Most of the insight from people are just so extraordinary and generous. I feel quite warm in my heart and today, I am quite sure that I am ready to let go of the past, and restart a new life. I am laughing because I know all the work I have put into this (including seeing the therapist) and the tips that people have given to me have helped me built a concrete foundation for me to jump from the past to the present.

I am getting the present. How could I not laughing.
chai2

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:17 pm
I'm glad you had a good day zhjuan.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:19 pm
Today the sheep went storming out of the barns into the snow covered fields. The snow has been melting nicely and we got heavy rains last night to knock it down more. The sheep were going nuts as they jumped and kicked up thwir hind legs like a bunch of horsie colts. Itwas good seeing them stretch their legs and how , even though the snow is over a foot deep in the pasture and still piled up in some high drifts. The sheep went tearinto the piles and knocked each other over iuntil they had well worn paths to the fields , around in some big circles, and then ,when they got hungry, back to the barn like they were late to work.

They sense spring too.
littlek

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
You paint a good picture, Fman!
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:33 pm
@farmerman,
Your description of the sheep storming out of the barn made me chuckle. Got me remembering. When we lived in Michigan I loved getting up in the morning and walking down to our small barn, where two horses and a pony lived. When the back door was opened they'd bound out of there with the Jack Russells barking at their heels. The yellow Lab did his thing by grabbing a water bucket and banging it around, running along the fence. Later on we got a miniature goat that was the funniest. He'd try to run as fast as possible, a veritable puffball, shaking shimmering.

Living in Texas, I miss the snow, and never thought that would be so. But, we have about an inch here in the Texas Hill Country (near Austin), and that has made me smile all day.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:35 pm
@zhjuan,
That makes me smile too, zhjuan. Good for you!
aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:33 am
@Pemerson,
last night I was responding to a link on facebook to become friends with little Jenna - who is eight years old and the daughter of my best friend in NJ, Danny, (and we've known each other since WE were both eight years old), when this chat bubble popped up and it was Jenna saying, 'hi daddy friend- will you be my friend too?'

It was so cute- so now I have another eight year old P------ friend- and I know from experience they make good, loyal, life-long friends. How can I keep from smiling at that?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:56 am
@aidan,
What 's a P------ friend ?
aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That's Danny's (and Jenna's) last name that starts with a P and has 8 letters- I didn't want to post it on a public forum.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:11 pm
A student said to a colleague: "You look very mature today." We spent a few minutes talking about it. The student just kept saying mature.... good...mature. The teacher said I got a hair cut.... and some sun..... I finally realized that telling a 13 year old she looks mature is a COMPLIMENT! So I mentioned that when you tell someone older that they look mature, we usually think that means you think we look OLD. All cleared up, but very amusing.
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:14 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
"You look very mature today."

Ha. Now there's an interesting way of giving a compliment, k. (How mature!)

Quite the opposite of "You're looking rather old today, miss." Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:29 pm
@littlek,
The best possible compliment I can receive (well, I choose to see it as a compliment) is to be asked, generally around twice a day: "Are you Turkish, miss?" This happens, as a rule, when I'm smack in the middle of explaining some complex bit of information, related to their classwork.
The school I work at has about 70% Turkish students & national identity is a very big deal to them.
I used to wonder, for ages, why they kept asking that question. What is some sort of not-so-clever diversionary tactic, to delay getting stuck into the work, I wondered? (Little devils! Evil or Very Mad ) It took me ages to finally "get" why they kept asking. Actually a staff member explained: It is because I have the same eyes, the same skin toning as they do. So they actually think I might be one of them! Idea
I think that's rather nice. (Until we get to the bit where I have to say a few words in Ukrainian. Then we get really diverted! )
littlek

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:44 pm
I've gotten "In" with a couple of tough cases because we all have Italian heritage. Funny since around here you can't spit without hitting someone with Italian heritage. It's not like that background is rare.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 09:37 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
The best possible compliment I can receive (well, I choose to see it as a compliment) is to be asked, generally around twice a day: "Are you Turkish, miss?" This happens, as a rule, when I'm smack in the middle of explaining some complex bit of information, related to their classwork.
The school I work at has about 70% Turkish students & national identity is a very big deal to them.
I used to wonder, for ages, why they kept asking that question. What is some sort of not-so-clever diversionary tactic, to delay getting stuck into the work, I wondered? (Little devils! Evil or Very Mad ) It took me ages to finally "get" why they kept asking. Actually a staff member explained: It is because I have the same eyes, the same skin toning as they do. So they actually think I might be one of them! Idea
I think that's rather nice. (Until we get to the bit where I have to say a few words in Ukrainian.
Then we get really diverted! )
I had that happen in my career, also.
Particularly when my clients were thrilled with the results
of my creative work for them, after thay had been sweating out
the untoward possibilities (my defending them from their enemies in court,
or avenging them and getting justice for them in litigation) thay said things
either assuming that I was one of their ethnic group,
or asking me directly whether I was one of their own ethnic group.

David
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:14 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
I've gotten "In" with a couple of tough cases because we all have Italian heritage. Funny since around here you can't spit without hitting someone with Italian heritage. It's not like that background is rare.

Still, ya shouldn't complain it it works in your favour, should you, k? Wink
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ha. I had no idea this sort of thing was so prevalent, David.

Which nationality have you you been wrongly perceived as being?
JLNobody

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:38 pm
@littlek,
In my neighborhood we spit on Italians all the time.
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:39 pm
@JLNobody,
Liar!

Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:39 pm
@JLNobody,
Just kidding.