What made you smile today?

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:02 pm
A cute story told Saturday by M, a high school senior who works in my store on Saturdays. She used to be quite shy.
It came to pass that the Grateful Dead came to Cville for a concert at the JPJ Arena, which is owned by UVA. It turns out someone at UVA who is very, very high up in the administration is a Dead-head. Mr C, by name. So M, her mom and her dad (semi-high up in the admin) went to Mr C's house for dinner with a number of other folks.
After eating, the group drove in a bit of a convoy to very convenient parking next to a private entrance to the building. But they had to cross a portion of the floor to get to the elevator that would take them to their executive suite high above the floor.
M was pretty appropriately dressed for a Dead concert. But the crowd who noticed the adults started pointing and yelling: "Suits, suits, suits"
M sat with the group in their box in the sky for about a half an hour of the show before she tugged at the cuff of her dad's jacket and asked if she could go down on the floor.
She ran into a couple of old friends, met some new ones, and then she happened to look up. Above her, in this huge basketball/concert arena, was this huge, huge cloud of pot smoke. It was so thick that she couldn't even begin to see which level much less which box the "suit's" were in.
M had the good storyteller's sense to end the tale right there.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:24 pm
@realjohnboy,
my 2nd hangout in the 60's was denver's Family Dog operated by Barry Fey. Denver's Family Dog opened with Big Brother and the Holding Company, featuring Janis Joplin. Others who graced the stage were Blue Cheer, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Grateful Dead, The Doors and Buffalo Springfield.

The club, which never made any money, in part because tickets were $3.50, eventually morphed into The Dog until it closed with the return of Joplin in June 1968. "The week before we closed Bobby Kennedy was shot," Fey said.

Fey also recalled a little-known chef named Paul Prudhomme who worked at a "little grill" not far from The Dog. "He used to bring me food and I'd let him into shows," Fey said.
Tulagi’s (on The Hill in Boulder) had a house band called The Astronauts, who were hugely popular. Judy Collins was beginning then. I saw her many times at the Exodus club in Denver. In ’67, I went to San Francisco, and saw Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane and Quicksilver at the Fillmore and Avalon. It wasn’t until The Rainbow opened in the late ’70s that Denver had a concert scene, which at that time was primarily New Wave: Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Devo. Those were some of the best concerts I’ve ever seen.

All Time Favorites: Gene Vincent, a Rockabilly artist from the ’50s, Little Walter, Muddy Waters, Billy Holiday, Dave Brubeck, Hank Williams, The 13th Floor Elevators, Radiohead, and going through old vinyl collections.
There was the Filmore San Francisco, Filmore NYC and Filmore Denver. Filmore Denver (the original Mammoth Gardens) was where I first say Santana and Country Joe.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:50 pm
n a rich guide found at www.DenverGov.org, Denver's Beat Poetry Driving Tour connects "On the Road" enthusiasts with some of the Beat bible's main characters: Carlo Marx (aka Allen Ginsberg, who wrote the preeminent Beat poem "Howl" and founded the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics at Naropa Institute in 1974 at Boulder) and Dean Moriarty (aka Neal Cassady).

The charming, womanizing and, at times, thieving Cassady was the driving force (literally) in "On the Road," and he grew up in Denver on the long-gone Larimer of lowlifes as the son of an alcoholic. Along with Ginsberg in the late 1940s, this trinity of all things beatific found itself united in Denver, where Kerouac sketched the first chapter of part three for "On the Road" at a ball field.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 11:46 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

This...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXm696UbKY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efacebook%2Ecom%2Ffriends%2F%3Fid%3D812828733&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Bill, I came back to watch this yet again. Is it possible to watch and not smile? I don't think so.

Thanks for posting this.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 06:52 am
Sweet ...

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:03 am
@nimh,
Aw...
spendius

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 05:24 pm
@sozobe,
farmerman floundering again.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 05:52 pm
@spendius,
[quote="spendius"
farmerman floundering again.
[/quote]I'm so happy to know what makes you smile spendi, it makes me smile.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 06:23 pm
@dyslexia,
I bet spendi has a farmerman doll that he sleeps with.
nimh

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 06:34 pm
Maybe Spendi is a Farmerman doll.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 11:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
You mean the kind you blow up? Gag.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 11:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
You mean the kind you blow up? Gag.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 01:20 am
I saw a perfect rainbow yesterday - every band of every color visible from one end to the other.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 08:00 am
Had a small glitch with my cell phone today & couldn't fix it, so took it in to ask the fellow who sold it to me for a bit of advice. While he & I were trying this & that, with absolutely no success, the young girl in school uniform standing behind me suggested one solution, then another ... fixed in no time! Very funny. Kids & their gadget know how! Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 09:33 am
Four little Roma girls dancing in the stairwell to music from a cellphone.. Smile
Thomas

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 08:20 pm
@nimh,
Smile

Today, when I caught up with my classmates from highschool on various websites, it turned out that two of my three big high school crushes had become teachers. Given my dislike for teachers at the time, that was absurdly ironic, and produced a big, bemused smile on my face.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:10 am
Saw a car with "JUST DIVORCED" written on its rear window.
nimh

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:02 pm
@Thomas,
Ha! Some kind of karma involved there, but I dont know exactly how ...

Maybe having become teachers is their karmic punishment for not having appreciated your crush enough at the time? Wink

What made me smile today - just, stuff! Took a day off of work, met a friend for coffee, proceeded to roam the neighbourhood with her to take photos of me in unusual places/situations. Then went home for more. It was fun Smile
old europe

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:16 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
Took a day off of work, met a friend for coffee, proceeded to roam the neighbourhood with her to take photos of me in unusual places/situations. Then went home for more.

Wait. You went home for more photos in unusual situations?
msolga

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:26 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Saw a car with "JUST DIVORCED" written on its rear window.

Ha! Free at last! Very Happy
0 Replies