What made you smile today?

Thomas

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 03:50 pm
George wrote:
Miami was a hoot.

We decided to go the beach one afternoon and someone jokingly mentioned
a "clothing-optional" beach (called "Haulover Beach"). Well, we actually went
there. I never thought I'd do such a thing. I put my towel down and thought,
"Now or never". I dropped my trunks and headed for the water.

Isn't it interesting how normal this feels after just a couple of minutes? In my gym back in Munich, the saunas and steam baths were co-ed, clothing optional and almost unknown. I started out being self-conscious about it, and being overweight didn't help there; so I avoided the sauna for the first few weeks. But once I gave myself a push and did go, it felt perfectly normal after just ten minutes. Now that I'm in America, it's the gender-segregated, please-use-towel-in-place-of-fig-leaf regime in my new gym's sauna that makes me uncomfortable. And strangely, this discomfort hasn't gone away yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 03:52 pm
(I almost posted about that, Thomas - I meant the plaque in Santa Fe.)

re smiling - a friend and I talking about watching sports, the imagery.. of thoroughbreds running, clydesdales running, wide receivers catching footballs, Willy Mays catching a baseball, olympic swimmers being water torpedos, my swimming teacher doing the butterfly: mind movies.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 02:08 am
Quote:
http://i35.tinypic.com/2i11q1t.jpg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:56 am
Laughing
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:26 am
Your George Carlin sigline made me smile, Thomas.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:37 am
Nothing.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:16 am
cjhsa wrote:
Nothing.

Sorry to hear that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:44 am
Today sucks. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
You know what Scarlett O'Hara always said...
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:42 pm
Diet Mountain Dew...a smile with every sip!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:56 pm
Tyrius, welcome back.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm
Thanks =]
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:56 pm
A long distance call with a lovely British accent, and a laugh like tinkling bells...
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:07 pm
I took the kids tho the Library and a lady got a reserved copy of " The Three cups of Tea" The lady after her said " Is their anyway I can get a copy of the "Three Cups of Tea". The gentleman at the front desk looking very puzzled said " I have no idea what this book is about but everyone wants it". She sighed and replied " It is summer reading for my Son in High school"

I felt my eyes getting wet and my 8yo son's face lighted up as he recalled how he sneaked in and read parts of that book while I was reading it and then decided to dress up as Greg Mortenson for his end of summer book parade at school.

I only hesitated for a moment before approaching her to offer her one of my copies. I had reordered more copies for gifts lately and because of my recent move they were in some box. I reassured her I will be able to find it. She looked relieved and surprised to discover I live in the same community where she is supposed to drop her son today. I found the book in the very first box I looked in !!! Called her and today while I was at my hair appointment she came and my son handed her the book.

I am still silently smiling, there is hope , people in this ritzy Jewish town are reading about a place where children sit down on bare floor to write their multiplication tables on the dirt with sticks waiting for the teacher who comes every other day. They are reading about how an American Mountaineer turned activist is welcomed in the so called Terrorist areas so their children could read.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:13 pm
Smiling to see Tyrius show up here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:10 am
Rockhead wrote:
A long distance call with a lovely British accent, and a laugh like tinkling bells...

ahhhhh -- that's sweet. Accurate too, but very sweet indeed.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:36 am
Reading here... Razz
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:51 am
applying for college for free!

not needing transcripts!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:30 pm
I got my first social security retirement check.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:39 pm
rjb, Congrats! It's easy to take, isn't it? LOL I've been collecting since 63, and enjoying every month of it even though my wife gets more.
0 Replies