What made you smile today?

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:22 pm
Smile: my big bro just got a new computer AND OBLIVION! Whoohoo!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:56 pm
Wonderful news, dag! Congrats and best wishes on your new adventures.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:00 pm
Dissertations are bitches. I'm glad you got rid of having to write one. Congratulations!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:06 pm
Oh, Dag, I'm verrrry happy for you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:01 am
dagmaraka wrote:
BEST news ever. really, the BEST

I had dinner over at my professor's house. She's my third reader (dissertation committee member). She tells me :"So, we've decided to give you the PhD...."

I stare, my jaw drops to my knees.

She tells me that the department just made a change in their policy that one can get a PhD by publishing three articles or book chapters... I have published way more than that over the years, so it should be a matter of formality. At most i might have to publish one article or so, as some of what I published was in Slovak. It was better than any Christmas I remember in my lifetime.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! WOOO-HAH!!!!!!!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:34 pm
Belated congratulations, Dag. Many of us have been following your quest for this for quite awhile. I can't recall, though, what your doctorate is in.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 04:53 pm
went to the library this afternoon to pick up a stack of books for the rainy weekend - and what did i find ?

"write if you get work - the best of the bob and ray show "

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9e/49/0db1c6da8da01c5004ea0110._AA240_.L.jpg

i openend up the book , started reading and just laughed myself silly .
imo bob and ray were better than many of the new comedians - just straight humour !
hbg
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:20 pm
Bob and Ray. They were funny. I am a bit surprised that their humor can be appreciated in book form vs actual audio.
Have you run across the "reporter" character they had, the not too bright Walley Baloo (sp)? His skit would always start with him in mid-sentence.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:50 pm
john :

here it is : "biff burns interviews stuffy hodgson " .

i'm certainly enjoying it . i should thank them for helping me learn the english language .
remember "wally , the wordman and mr. wise owl" teaching the alphabet and the numbers to the kiddies and winding up in a fight ?
i'm sure that's where i learned the word "knuckle sandwich" - i didn't learn it in high-school .
hbg

this should be fun :

http://shop.npr.org/images/products/26/28875-80.gif
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 06:03 pm
Having fun in the A2K Word Games forum!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:24 pm
My doctorate is in memory, I think.... something related, can't recall.

Have a meeting with a committee member on Friday. We'll see what's next.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:38 pm
That's great news, Dr. Daggles!

~~~

I survived the first night of Egyptian folklore dance. We seemed to have jumped up a level since last week. I must have missed something in the description. S'ok - it's so much fun - maybe I can LMAO for real?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 04:47 pm
I just posted this on Flickr, when someone was looking through my photos and commented, "Greate picture but dont you worry about your camera. It dosent look for a safe street." But it fits right in here:

---

Nope, have never worried in that neighbourhood.

Though my camera was stolen, last summer. But that was in some tourist place at the Fertö lake, when we were on a cycling holiday there. Must have been in a restaurant or terrace we stopped at. It sucked - I'm using a borrowed one now. :-(

If anything, I feel more uneasy out in the high-rise suburbs, the rougher ones I mean (there's nice ones too). It just feels more inhospitable there, and you've got skins and stuff. Though then again reality has a funny way of reversing on you.

Yesterday I was at the Kispest/Kobanya metro stop, at the very end of the blue line, surrounded by towerblocks. I was just passing through, but they have this overpass there, a grotty yellow seventies monstrum of a thing, full of dimly lit winebars, grilled food stands and cheap shops, always bustling with tired commuters and somehow muddy-looking. I love it: it's like a time capsule into Kadar-era goulash communism. Very proletarian.

Anyway, I was passing through and was shocked to see they're busily tearing it down. Just part of it is still up, they already sawed off the far ends. Modernising. So I quickly went round to take a bunch of quick snapshots, cause it was dusk already. These two guys who had been hanging around approach me, one as tall as a house with a Dirty South haircut, the other a short and stocky skinhead, both all in black. And looking displeased. What was I doing? What was I taking photos of? Of this trash? Was I going to show around these pictures and say, look this is what Hungary looks like?

I said no,no I have much prettier pictures of Budapest too! But it's just I always liked this place, and now they're tearing it down. Hm. Where was I from? Holland? Well, what about us, the skin asked? You? Yeah, us, can you take a picture of us too? And then we'll write down our email address, and you can send us the photo!

It was the tall guy's address, named after his nickname, "Giraffe". They willingly posed for two photos (which I probably flubbed), one of 'em with the one guy on the phone when he was called: "yeah no because we're just talking to this guy from holland, he's taking our picture.."

Lesson in there somewhere. I love this country :-D
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 04:49 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
I had dinner over at my professor's house. She's my third reader (dissertation committee member). She tells me :"So, we've decided to give you the PhD...."

I stare, my jaw drops to my knees.

She tells me that the department just made a change in their policy that one can get a PhD by publishing three articles or book chapters... I have published way more than that over the years, so it should be a matter of formality. At most i might have to publish one article or so, as some of what I published was in Slovak. It was better than any Christmas I remember in my lifetime.

Damn Dag! Wow! That's quite something! That must be about the biggest gift of your life, at least except for all the amazing ones still coming!

But - it's well deserved. Couldnt happen to a more deserving pro!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 05:06 pm
Yay Dag!!!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:18 pm
I'm smiling about ehBeth in Toronto and dadpad in Oz helping Dag in Boston find a place to live in The Hague. Ain't A2K grand? Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:29 pm
yes....it is a gift....

now....accommodation in The Hague...any ideas, nimh? :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:30 pm
mac11 wrote:
I'm smiling about ehBeth in Toronto and dadpad in Oz helping Dag in Boston find a place to live in The Hague. Ain't A2K grand? Very Happy

i know, right? I shouldda known this should be the place to start!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:32 pm
Oh, oh, an update, too: The committee member, bless her soul, that gave me the news also emailed the other two members, saying that she's signing off on my requirements for defense being fulfilled and as my 2nd reader AND as the Director of Graduate Studies she recommends to schedule my defense in August.....

isn't she just awesome? love the woman. she's nuts, but i love that too.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:58 am
dagmaraka wrote:
yes....it is a gift....

now....accommodation in The Hague...any ideas, nimh? :wink:

Hey. Hmm, well I left the city 18 years ago, so I dont know anyone who lives in town anymore. But - I did write you an email a while ago when I heard you were going to The Hague, to say that my sister lives in Delft, a hop and a skip away, less than 10 mins by train. You should definitely look her up. Anyway, I know she has at least one customer in the Hague (she's a fundraiser/grantwriter now), so it might be worth checking through her. Lemme know by email what you're looking for, roughly. Maybe her husband, the musician, might know people too.

All in all the Hague shouldnt be very hard to find accomodation in - at least, it's not like Amsterdam or Utrecht (also cause there's no university).
0 Replies