Never forget. Some need a reminder. Powerful video clip

Einherjar

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:34 pm
Invading a country requires slightly higher standards of evidence than flaming someone on an internet forum.

And as for Iraq, Saddam giving Nukes to terrorists didn't fit said backgroundinformation. He never did anything he didn't think would benefit himself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:34 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
How does this

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
if we do not approve of bush and his big iraq adventure then we've forgotten 9/11, don't appreciate our military, don't care about terrorism and love the french....could you post more of an ignant, partisan cliche?

rationally follow this?

Xena wrote:
We must never forget...It seems many of us have. This is a reminder for all of us.

Hmmm - simple answer, Finn - have you WATCHED the mindnumbing, atavistic thing - which, with its carefully calculated appeals to the most dangerous to civilization of our primitive emotions and intent to de-activate thought, reminds me, frankly, of things like Triumph of the Will.

Or - though I have not seen much of it, doubtless to the kind of equally mindnumbing and primitive emotion-frenzying agitprop fed to those training to be soldiers of rabid Islamism.

Propaganda designed to make us intoxicated with self-righteous anger and nameless dread is a toxic poison to the world. And one we ought to have learned the dangers of by now.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:37 pm
Oh, and occam, it wasn't a preemptive strike as the insinuation which was found offensive had already been made at the time of the flaming.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:37 pm
hey bill have you ever had a "gut" feeling...i trust mine...:-) some of us are built that way..and then later when our "gut" reaction is proved correct you want to question? sorry love, but that makes no sense to me...my "gut" feeling has saved me on many occassions and i tend to trust it..:-) though it does save me having to say now "I told ya so! "

:-)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:39 pm
I just didn't get that. I mean it was incredibly heavy-handed---won't win any awards--but how anyone could watch that clip and attack the one who posted it in such a rabid, viscious manner really took me by surprise. I didn't think I could be taken by surprise in these environs.

It had some poor choices--but what exactly did people get from it that led to such a response? Did you think they were assigning blame to someone, or what?
0 Replies

bashtoreth

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:39 pm
What?!
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
if we do not approve of bush and his big iraq adventure then we've forgotten 9/11, don't appreciate our military, don't care about terrorism and love the french....could you post more of an ignant, partisan cliche?

I missed the mention of Bush, Iraq, the French, and all the other things that Bi Polar implied were in that animation.... Should I watch it again?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:43 pm
Lash wrote:
I just didn't get that. I mean it was incredibly heavy-handed---won't win any awards--but how anyone could watch that clip and attack the one who posted it in such a rabid, viscious manner really took me by surprise. I didn't think I could be taken by surprise in these environs.

It had some poor choices--but what exactly did people get from it that led to such a response? Did you think they were assigning blame to someone, or what?

Lash - read my post above for why I find this trash so appalling.

Whoever perpetuates it.

Also - I normally despise references to fascism when used against the normal right, but the whole "blood" theme is such a hallmark of nazi and neo-nazi ravings that I find its presence in that thing very telling - that plus the appeal to inchoate emotion, looming dread (think here the music, especially) and national pride.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:44 pm
Re: What?!
bashtoreth wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I missed the mention of Bush, Iraq, the French, and all the other things that Bi Polar implied were in that animation.... Should I watch it again?

spin spin spin...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:47 pm
BPB--

How do you manage to put Bush in this? 911 was an American experience. If Clinton had been President when it happened, how would it be viewed differently? I can ASSURE you the Republicans would still view it the same way we do now.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:50 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Oh, and occam, it wasn't a preemptive strike as the insinuation which was found offensive had already been made at the time of the flaming.
I was mostly just playing with the Bear there, Einherjar. There's nothing invalid in my posts, but there's no need to take them so seriously. If someone had posted the Liberal equivalent to that over-the-top piece, the same argument would have ensued... but on opposite sides of the ball. You tagged it right at flaming... I was just having a little fun with the hypocrisy. :wink:
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:53 pm
Lash wrote:

I think if you read her letter that she reprinted(not sure it was hers) then you may get the vehemence that some of us lashed out at the sender..and whether you get how i feel or not is of no concern to me since i find that how "I" feel really makes no difference to the ones "I" disagree with...some of us remember 9/11 more than we need too..and don't like the fact that a video is made of the tragedy to promote a political agenda.. Rolling Eyes Or is there another reason this filthy video was made that i am unaware of? Shocked There is not one person i know that DOES NOT remember 9/11...
0 Replies

bashtoreth

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:53 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Sorry BPB, your attack and justification may very well have been spot on, but with the available information at that time it was still a "pre-emptive strike ". :wink: You feelin me?

...which is why the constitution grants Congress the power to declare war. Wait! There's a difference between "declare" and "make"? Oh, yeah, I guess there is. The original language of the passage gave Congress the power to "make" war. The reason for the change? According to the notes of Madison, it was to allow the President to defend against an attack without needing the approval of Congress--NOT to allow the president 60 days of galavanting around in places like Vietnam ... Bosnia ... Cuba ... etc. ... and Iraq.

Does anyone know the last time Congress actually declared war?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:57 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I was mostly just playing with the Bear there, Einherjar. There's nothing invalid in my posts, but there's no need to take them so seriously.

Sorry, won't happen again.

Quote:
I was just having a little fun with the hypocrisy. :wink:

I fail to see any hypocrisy.

Oh, sorry about that, was taking you seriously again. Embarrassed

Edited to add emoticon
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:58 pm
Well, Willow, I know some of us just want to plant our opinions and be done with it. You certainly have that right.

I was just really surprised at the reaction...the overwhelmingly negative and threatening posts that directly followed Xena's clip. Sometimes, we like to understand others' reactions--and I was trying to.

But, for sure, don't feel as if I'm trying to compel you specifically to respond. Its just a puzzling phenomena to me.
0 Replies

bashtoreth

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:58 pm
willow_tl wrote:
There is not one person i know that DOES NOT remember 9/11...

Great semantic argument. As if someone who asks, "Have you forgotten Vietnam?" actually means it literally.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:01 pm
Not to mention Poland.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:01 pm
I agree with Bash. That was a very good point, willow.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:03 pm
dlowan wrote:
Propaganda designed to make us intoxicated with self-righteous anger and nameless dread is a toxic poison to the world. And one we ought to have learned the dangers of by now.

I don't have anything to add to this.

I just think that this is the one really important point that anyone's made in this tempest in a teapot thread.
0 Replies

bashtoreth

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
Re: What?!
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
bashtoreth wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

spin spin spin...

NOT spin. I don't support the Iraq war OR President Bush. Throw another cliche out there.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
Remember the 5 minute hate in the novel 1984. That clip reminded me of that.
0 Replies