Never forget. Some need a reminder. Powerful video clip

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:09 pm
bashtoreth wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:
I voted for Clinton and then Gore.

Xena

Could you please elucidate why you cast these two votes.

Butterfly ballots....

Now, there's a good answer.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:00 am
McGenTrix exhorts us to be ZEALOUS.

Like Zealotry is a GOOD thing...

If I remember correctly the Zealots were an ancient Jewish faction (from about 6 AD until the fall of Jerusalem) who fomented discord and violence with the Roman Occupying Forces.
The were TERRORIST Troublemakers whose antics caused much grief for innocent by-standers (collateral damage)... which culminated in the Revolt of 66 AD and ultimately in the Romans' reprisal... the Destruction of the City in 70 AD.

The Iraqui insurgency could claim to be modern-day Zealots...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:01 am
No - he exhorts you to be OVER-zealous!!!!!

Which is, by definition, over the top, even for a zealot!!! Lol! But - it is way beyond a joke.

And of course, you are right.

Zealotry is a huge part of the problem.

God only knows what over-zealotry does...
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 05:57 am
"Those who would trade their liberty for the illusion of security deserve neither."

Funny thing about liberty in this country, people sure have complained about losing it, but because we have the military of the willing, you are constantly assured you will have liberty and freedom. And the beauty of it is, you dont have to earn it, you have others in this country willing to die for it, to give up their freedom for it, and defend it, to make the ultimate sacrifice.

The sad thing about it is there are only a small number of people willing to do that in this country, and those people that are on that small list of people are treated quite poorly. People call them uneducated, ignorant, brainwashed, unable to make it in the "outside world". They have been spit on, called baby killers, condemned for doing the job they have been sent to do.

What liberties have the American people lost? With our military here in this country, that alone is security, one is not forced to join the military in this country, that job is taken up by 1.56 million americans. Another 26.4 million americans are retired military vets. Such a small number out of the 294,583,387 people who live in this country.

Nice trade off isnt it? Only 1.56 million americans volunteer give up alot of their freedoms so that the other 293.1 million people can have theirs? Wow arent we so lucky....

Soldiers trade in their 'Liberty for the Security of their country"... and yet they deserve neither? Interesting.........
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:28 am
<Takes hat off for a moment out of respect for Armyvet35>

You tell um girl!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:36 am
Soldiers trade in their 'Liberty for the Security of their country"... and yet they deserve neither? Interesting.

Where did you read anyone saying that soldiers did not deserve liberty or security?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:59 am
Probably this tired old quote, D.

Magus wrote:
Those who would trade their liberty for the illusion of security deserve neither.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:25 am
You guys slay me:

From the Nashville city paper.

Those of a libertarian bent are given to misquoting Benjamin Franklin when they warn our new war on international terrorism might cost us some of our constitutional freedoms.

If you've seen news coverage about such issues as increased airport security, you've probably heard some wag say something like "those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither," as they decry things like hand searching of bags at airports.

They're quoting Franklin, but not exactly what Franklin said.

Franklin, a signer of our Declaration of Independence, said, "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Freedom from having your bags searched by hand before you board an airplane is an obsolete luxury, not an essential liberty. And liberty without security isn't liberty at all.

The reality is America's freedom and liberty have been made secure for more than two centuries by the threat of, and sometimes the direct application of, police force against domestic threats and military force against international threats. Today once more, a foreign enemy threatens our way of life and our very lives. Putting up with tighter security at the airport and giving the FBI the tools it needs to identify and root out terrorist cells in this country do not compromise our essential liberty - they secure it. After all, without life, liberty is meaningless.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:04 am
Magus wrote:
McGenTrix exhorts us to be ZEALOUS.

Like Zealotry is a GOOD thing...

If I remember correctly the Zealots were an ancient Jewish faction (from about 6 AD until the fall of Jerusalem) who fomented discord and violence with the Roman Occupying Forces.
The were TERRORIST Troublemakers whose antics caused much grief for innocent by-standers (collateral damage)... which culminated in the Revolt of 66 AD and ultimately in the Romans' reprisal... the Destruction of the City in 70 AD.

The Iraqui insurgency could claim to be modern-day Zealots...

You need to get a dictionary, look up zeal and then look up zealot. You will discover that they are not the same. Imagine that. Two words, look the same, but mean different things.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
Great post Panz! Welcome to the side of reason! :razz:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:41 am
Bill, you knucklehead! I was pointing out how the esteemed Vet had mangled Franklin to beg for respect for the American soldier.

I've already posted my disdain for this administrations shabby treatment of vets. And I can't abide the fact that the clueless lower middle class are used as cannon fodder for nation building expeditions to the Middle East.
I'm proud of our military tradition, but I'm not proud of the way it's being squandered for a political message

BTW Bill...I am moderate enough to agree with Franklin.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:57 am
Panz, you're the knucklehead! :razz: I know exactly who your are and what you stand for. Take a look at my quote to see how and who mangled Franklin originally. Laughing

Note: It was neither an esteemed Vet nor even a conservative. :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:12 am
Bill, you knucklehead! I was referring to the erudite and esteemed poster named Armyvet(note the capital V in Vet) who had mangled Franklin to make her point that our soldiers were getting no respect.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:20 am
bashtoreth wrote:
...I have no clue what the best policy is. I'm just an ignorant citizen. I should just leave it to the people who know what they are doing.... Can anyone point me in the right direction? LOL

Not anyone in this thread, that's for sure.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:24 am
Damn it Panz, you are the knucklehead! She was quoting Magus's misquote from 3 pages ago (click here, knucklehead! :wink:).
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
That was NOT a "mis"quote.

It was a STATEMENT of personal opinion.

There is NO "security", there is just an ILLUSION of security, carefully constructed, to assuage people's anxieties.
Thanks to Ideology, technology and reality... anyone of us could be swirled into the eddies of tragedy at almost any time.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:31 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Damn it Panz, you are the knucklehead! She was quoting Magus's misquote from 3 pages ago (click here, knucklehead! :wink:).

Quote:
Bill, you knucklehead!

should i get (re)involved in the namecalling...nah...i'm still sore from my first cherry pop... Very Happy Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:34 am
boys boys... soldiers are citizens of this counrty

what applies to the rest of society still applies to us Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:34 am
LOL...I'm practicing being as good with ad hominem attacks as Bill is...all in good fun. My respect for Bill is unfounded...I mean unbounded.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:35 am
Omigod... I leave for two weeks and start looking around a2k. Here's yet ANOTHER newbie with a freaking agenda.

Save me!
0 Replies