The continued reference to Mary Cheney by the Dems

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:11 pm
snood and I have had our differences for sure but I have to back his statements about paternalistic projections re about what "blacks" feel.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:14 pm
Snood wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, but the later "demand for an apology" notwithstanding, I'd like not to be told by any white people what I should and should not find offensive.

Paternalism and patronization aren't the exclusive domain of any party or demographic.

Amen and amen. May I apply this observation also to Christians, Jews, gays, women, northerners, southerners, etc. etc. etc.?

Re Lash, however, knowing her to be about as un-PC and objective about these things as I am, when a constituency is offended, would you not agree that politicians in general tend to hold the loyal opposition to a higher standard in these things than they hold their own? The GOP Senate majority leader, for instance, was forced to resign over a gaffe less offensive than what Dean said at the banquet.

Then again, I posted a piece (by somebody) this past week suggesting we all need to lighten up and allow a few gaffes as we all think em, make em, and speak em now and then.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:17 pm
Lash wrote:
Yeah. I know you feel that way.

But, I am not buying into the double standard upheld by statements like yours. I can comment about my opinions about whites and white issues--but hands off blacks and black issues.....? Nah.

That's a form of racism to me. I speak to all issues without first adjusting my opinions due to the skin color of the people involved. You are right, in my estimation, about paternalism and patronization not being exclusive to any party. I agree. Not exclusive to any race, either.

I found the statement offensive--it had the demeaning assumption that a uneducated wait staff would be overwhelmingly black. It was insulting. You don't have to be black to be insulted by racist comments.

Lash, you are so freakin' P.C., it's funny.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:20 pm
Might want to check yourself Snood. I'm disappointed in any group that votes overwhelmingly liberal. Statistically, blacks do this. Examine your own definition for Gaffe above and then see if you can find the contradiction in your reaching for the race card against lash in practically the same breath as forgiving Dean for simply stating the truth. I think the issue here is politics, not race.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:31 pm
I will provide refreshments at my seminar on PC. Please make reservations.

Lesson #1-- Complaints against actual racist, sexist, otherist comments are not political correctness.

dys-- and possibly snood. I haven't looked to see the prior page--

If a person of any color, sex, size, or what have you-- is offended when Man A says Sentence A.

It only follows that that same person would also be offended if Man B says Sentence A. Unless that same person is biased or has an agenda against Man A.

It has nothing to do with paternalism. It has to do with honesty.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:38 pm
ehBeth--

I hate disagreeing with you so often. You're so pleasant. Hope to agree with you soon.

(Practicing polite disagreement)

I am almost certain that the PC thing to do in the instance of the disagreement between snood and I----would be to instantly defer to snood, as he is a member of the demographic group at issue.

I disagree heartily with that view.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:56 pm
Hey. I sort of glossed over snood's definition. I thought a gaffe was simply an embarrassing mistake.

Like Trent Lott's gaffe.

Only these mistakes reveal something in their mindset.

Is that wrong? Other opinions?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 07:17 pm
Lash wrote:
Hey. I sort of glossed over snood's definition. I thought a gaffe was simply an embarrassing mistake.

Like Trent Lott's gaffe.

Only these mistakes reveal something in their mindset.

Is that wrong? Other opinions?
I think it's an error to stray too far from the dictionary's definition which is:
Main Entry: gaffe : a social or diplomatic blunder

Opposing groups of partisan folks like to pretend there is more there than meets the eye, but that's usually an un-provable assumption that amounts to nothing more than petty partisan politics.

Example: "Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

While that was probably one of his most widely publicized Gaffes, I don't think it could be said to reveal anything in Bush's mindset. Same goes for the murderer who kept mixing up Osama and Obama after the young Senator's speech. I'm as disgusted as anyone by Kennedy's continued existence, but I don't think that gaffe could be said to reveal anything in his mindset.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 07:29 pm
Oh, and for what it's worth, I think Trent Lott got railroaded for saying something stupid. I thought it was pretty obvious that he didn't intend to endorse what his idiotic choice of words implied. He told an old man he would have made a great President 50+ years ago at his birthday party. It is ludicrous to think he intended to openly be that racist at a public gathering. He may or may not be racist, but I don't think that "gaffe" was any indication at all.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 07:45 pm
Are you kidding? Did Bush really say that?

That has got to be the funniest Bushism yet. I think the only thing that revealed was he was overtired. Or that he was Bush.

I was speaking in WAY too general terms. *Sometimes* gaffes reveal something about someone's mindset. Surely, some are just verbal gaffes.

I got very sloppy. I used Lott as an example of a gaffe that was judged to have an ulterior meaning--but my post reads as though I believed there was an ulterior meaning.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:24 pm
Are you kidding? You really didn't know he said that? I must have heard that clip 100 times! The crowd was eating out of his hand at a campaign stop and he got cocky and started freewheeling (not a good idea for Bush). Laughing I think everyone just laughed and it may have even helped him since it was a harmless error and it showed his human side... which probably served to highlight his opponent's lack thereof.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:14 pm
Lash wrote
Quote:
I got very sloppy. I used Lott as an example of a gaffe that was judged to have an ulterior meaning--but my post reads as though I believed there was an ulterior meaning.

In other words, you committed a gaffe. Smile

The thing is there are those dishonest enough to pluck that gaffe out of context and play it again and again to prove how inconsistent you are or that 'even Lash agrees Lott is a racist' or some other idiotic interpretation of a gaffe.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:54 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Might want to check yourself Snood. I'm disappointed in any group that votes overwhelmingly liberal. Statistically, blacks do this. Examine your own definition for Gaffe above and then see if you can find the contradiction in your reaching for the race card against lash in practically the same breath as forgiving Dean for simply stating the truth. I think the issue here is politics, not race.

You might want to withhold your advice until it's asked for. Think what you like. You're "disappointed"? Are you as "disappointed" in white males for voting overwhelmingly conservative? I think some white people feel the need to define the issues for black people - witness your attempt to tell me when an issue does and doesn't have to do with race. I happen to think race is inextricable from american politics.

Again, some blacks present at Dean's "gaffe" were offended, some weren't. Such is the nature of a group of thoroughly human people. We don't all look alike, and we don't all think alike. I happen to be liberal about some things, but conservative in others. What I read Lash doing (as is often the case when some white person perceives an event as something "blacks should decry" -like everytime Farrakhan opens his mouth) was trying to make some kind of judgement about what right thinking blacks should find offensive. It would have been one thing if he'd just said he thought Dean's comments were stupid, but that somehow wasn't enough.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 03:30 pm
snood--

We all give unsolicited advice, including you and me.

Its Job #1 on a message board.

And, one more time--if blacks (in general) are as sensitive as they seem to be when conservatives, Republicans, and other assorted whites make dumb or thoughtless--or racist comments-----I am very comfortable saying they should be offended when the head of the DNC does the same.

And, I agree with the blacks---and others---who say the Dems use and excuse a large percentage of black voters.

That snood. She is so tempermental.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 04:00 pm
What I'm hearing here is Snood objecting to being lumped in with 'all blacks' instead of being considered an individual with his/her own opinions, thoughts, feelings independent of anybody else.

What I'm hearing Obill and Lash saying is there is a double standard when it comes to perceived racists gaffes committed by Democrats and/or liberals vs Republicans and/or conservatives.

Apples and oranges.

I took note when some time back Lola referred to my gay friends as "uncle Tom's" because they didn't fit her mold of what gay people should think or be like. Now tell me, would that be a slam against conservative gay people or blacks or just me. Smile
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 05:20 pm
snood wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

You might want to withhold your advice until it's asked for.
You're neither the first nor will you be the last person to offer me that advice. :wink: I'm going to separate your questions for clarity in my answers, not to be argumentative, so please don't take it that way.

snood wrote:
Think what you like. You're "disappointed"?
Yes, I am. I am equally perpetually disappointed in the "Madison, WI" vote that consistently votes the same way... and my disappointment is for the same reason that has nothing to do with race.
snood wrote:
Are you as "disappointed" in white males for voting overwhelmingly conservative?
No, I voted "conservative" this time around myself, so why would I be?
snood wrote:
I think some white people feel the need to define the issues for black people - witness your attempt to tell me when an issue does and doesn't have to do with race.
I didn't consider your race in my response, at all, Snood. I would have attempted to persuade a white person the same way for the same reason... which had nothing to do with race.

My reaction to Dean's comment was about the same as yours, btw (yawn). You won't catch me reacting to race mentions unless there is malicious intent. While Dean was trying to slam Republicans, I don't think he was trying to slam Blacks. Nor did I take his comment's as belittling slavery or the struggle for equal rights. Personally, I see no issue to his words that a simple "I meant no offense" shouldn't cover. That being said, I think the collective reaction, be it an overreaction, an underreaction... or dead on accurate reaction should be consistent regardless of Party affilitation of the accused, if it's going to be taken as a race issue.
snood wrote:
I happen to think race is inextricable from american politics.
You're well within your rights to think so. I don't. <shrugs>

snood wrote:
Again, some blacks present at Dean's "gaffe" were offended, some weren't. Such is the nature of a group of thoroughly human people. We don't all look alike, and we don't all think alike. I happen to be liberal about some things, but conservative in others.
We have no disagreement here.

snood wrote:
What I read Lash doing (as is often the case when some white person perceives an event as something "blacks should decry" -like everytime Farrakhan opens his mouth) was trying to make some kind of judgement about what right thinking blacks should find offensive. It would have been one thing if he'd just said he thought Dean's comments were stupid, but that somehow wasn't enough.
I didn't perceive Lash's comments up to that point as a white person commenting on how blacks should feel. I'm probably not as attuned to picking stuff like that up (no judgment there, just a matter of fact). I perceived them as a person commenting on how a group should feel and that the color of the group was incidental, and the color of the speaker irrelevant. Again, any group that collectively voted Kerry overwhelmingly disappointed me. Blacks did this. Is there no politically correct way for me to feel this way about Kerry supporters AND recognize the African American Demographic as such? Where I thought you crossed the line was in implying that Lash's comments meant she was lumping all the blacks into the same category and you continue to do so with your "we don't all look the same" comparison. That's what moved me to commentÂ… because I don't look at blacks that way, yet I am disappointed by their collective (statistically undeniable) loyalty to the Democratic Party. Why isn't that a simple matter of statistical accuracy depicting the only logical conclusion a conservative could draw? Why does it have to be about race?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 06:06 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
What I'm hearing here is Snood objecting to being lumped in with 'all blacks' instead of being considered an individual with his/her own opinions, thoughts, feelings independent of anybody else.

What I'm hearing Obill and Lash saying is there is a double standard when it comes to perceived racists gaffes committed by Democrats and/or liberals vs Republicans and/or conservatives.

Apples and oranges.

I took note when some time back Lola referred to my gay friends as "uncle Tom's" because they didn't fit her mold of what gay people should think or be like. Now tell me, would that be a slam against conservative gay people or blacks or just me. Smile

I'd be saying it is a hell of a mixed metaphor....... Shocked
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 11:56 am
Hey Lash,
If I pointed out to you that I am not a "she" (as I would think is obvious by my avatar, and to anyone who has 'talked' to me on these boards for more than 2 minutes), would that be being "sensitive"?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 01:00 pm
snood wrote:
To some in some circumstances, it seems the definition of 'gaffe', is when one takes heat for telling the truth.

Quote:
"A 'gaffe' is an inconvenient truth spoken at an inopportune time."

-- Michael Kinsley
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 01:01 pm
Not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg, but Snood you do realize you bolded he in your previous post to Lash, who is actually a she, don't you? :wink:
0 Replies