The continued reference to Mary Cheney by the Dems

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:03 pm
Personally I think it's dirty politics when Kerry and Edwards continue to bring up the fact that Mary Cheney is a lesbian. It isn't any of their business, but yet they keep talking about it.

I wish Cheney would have put Edwards in his place by saying his daughter's sexuality was none of his business.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 56,585 • Replies: 1,339
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:03 pm
Unless you see something wrong with lesbianism, what's wrong with it?

It really does point out the admin's inability to match their right-wing policies with real life.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
It was a question from the MODERATOR, dude!

Quote:
IFILL: The next question goes to you, Mr. Vice President. 

I want to read something you said four years ago at this very setting: "Freedom means freedom for everybody." You said it again recently when you were asked about legalizing same-sex unions. And you used your family's experience as a context for your remarks.

Can you describe then your administration's support for a constitutional ban on same-sex unions?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:13 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Unless you see something wrong with lesbianism, what's wrong with it?

It really does point out the admin's inability to match their right-wing policies with real life.

Cycloptichorn

Because someone's sexuality is private. That is what is wrong with it.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:15 pm
sozobe wrote:
It was a question from the MODERATOR, dude!

Quote:
IFILL: The next question goes to you, Mr. Vice President. 

I want to read something you said four years ago at this very setting: "Freedom means freedom for everybody." You said it again recently when you were asked about legalizing same-sex unions. And you used your family's experience as a context for your remarks.

Can you describe then your administration's support for a constitutional ban on same-sex unions?

It still is not Edwards or Kerry's business, but for some reason, they keep bringing it up.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:17 pm
Try this litmus test CK. Do you think Liberals who overwhelmingly approve of same sex marriage would try to use the outing of the Vice P's daughter to win votes? It doesn't make sense
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:18 pm
I hate when people have the same avatar, I was wondering why cycloptichorn was arguing with himself...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:19 pm
No, again, the moderator brought it up. Edwards was just answering the question, and answered it graciously:

Quote:
Now, as to this question, let me say first that I think the vice president and his wife love their daughter. I think they love her very much. And you can't have anything but respect for the fact that they're willing to talk about the fact that they have a gay daughter, the fact that they embrace her. It's a wonderful thing. And there are millions of parents like that who love their children, who want their children to be happy. 

Gay marriage - DOMA - Cheney's opposition - Cheney's daughter are all intertwined. Kerry mentioned it in the context of DOMA in the last debate -- again, after having been asked a question on the subject by the moderator.

How is this "they keep bringing it up"? How is this "the continued reference to Mary Cheney by the Dems"?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I hate when people have the same avatar, I was wondering why cycloptichorn was arguing with himself...

Laughing Me too. It was a little more entertaining that way.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Very funny Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:25 pm
CK, I'll tell you what. When the Dems produce a campaign ad that goes:

"George Bush wants to ammend the constitution to prevent gays from getting married. But Dick Cheney HAS A GAY DAUGHTER!!!!" (cue the crescendo)

Then I'll agree with you. Until then, I think this is just more faux outrage from the Republicans. They'd rather talk about this than their candidate's inconsistent debate performances.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:34 pm
sozobe wrote:

How is this "they keep bringing it up"? How is this "the continued reference to Mary Cheney by the Dems"?

Cheney did not bring up his daughter's sexuality and pretty much declined to talk about it.

Edwards and Kerry have been more willing to talk about it than him. Which is still none of their business. They can get their position across without bringing up his daughter. Do you not agree?

My point is why does her sexuality matter? Why did Kerry need to talk about her specifically last night?

I can understand her mother's outrage.

If it had stopped with the Edward's comment, it probably would not have been a big deal.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:37 pm
Cheney trotted his daughter out for public appearances at the NYC convention AND the Veep debate.
THAT makes her a focus of Public scrutiny.

"If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. "
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:43 pm
Magus wrote:
Cheney trotted his daughter out for public appearances at the NYC convention AND the Veep debate.

So I guess you'd be ok with the question "Is that your load all over Monica's blue dress Mr. President"?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:44 pm
He also explicitly brought her up in a campaign appearance when someone asked him about gay marriage.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:45 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
Magus wrote:

So I guess you'd be ok with the question "Is that your load all over Monica's blue dress Mr. President"?

Are you equating homosexuality with a spooge stain?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:47 pm
I don't give a **** if Mary Cheney is the head lesbian product tester for Doc Johnson.....what I care about is the fact that bush/cheney suck and need to get the hell out of washingon
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:48 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:
Magus wrote:

Are you equating homosexuality with a spooge stain?

I'm equating not talking about anyones sexuality with lets let everybodys sexuality be fair game. How about if Cheney talks about the Kerry girls sexuality ?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:51 pm
Personally I think if the candidates got together and talked for ninety minutes about who was f*#king who it'd be one hell of a lot more interesting you gotta admit.......
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:51 pm
How about it? If it's relevant to the topic or to a question he was asked and there's some reason for it, I'm not opposed.
0 Replies