The continued reference to Mary Cheney by the Dems

Magus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:51 pm
Time constraints?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:53 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
How about it? If it's relevant to the topic or to a question he was asked and there's some reason for it, I'm not opposed.

That's my point. It's neither relevant or appropriate.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
Then why did Cheney bring it up when campaigning?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:04 pm
I don't know.

My guess is that he felt some advantage in breaking the news first on his terms than being asked about it and having to react to it.

I think Cheney handled it brilliantly in his debate with Edwards. Edwards clearly tried to rattle Cheney by mentioning it. I think Cheney really caught him off guard when he answered "I would simply like to thank the Senator for his kind words about my daughter and my family" and then turned to him and said "Thank you".
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:07 pm
I love all this squeamishness about sexuality all of a sudden. To think that a person's sexual behavior should be referred to in a political discussion. That's simply shocking!

After the Clinton years, anything goes in this regard. Those who used it against him can be thanked for that...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:33 pm
Re: The continued reference to Mary Cheney by the Dems
CerealKiller wrote:
Personally I think it's dirty politics when Kerry and Edwards continue to bring up the fact that Mary Cheney is a lesbian. It isn't any of their business, but yet they keep talking about it.

but ck, cheney put it out there first, and on his own terms;

DAVENPORT, Iowa, Aug. 24 -- Vice President Cheney spelled out his differences with President Bush on the volatile issue of gay marriage Tuesday while making his most revealing public comments so far about the sexual orientation of his gay daughter.
Asked his position on the subject at a town hall meeting here, Cheney replied: "Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue that our family is very familiar with. . . . With respect to the question of relationships, my general view is that freedom means freedom for everyone. People . . . ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to."

CerealKiller wrote:
I wish Cheney would have put Edwards in his place by saying his daughter's sexuality was none of his business.

i might agree with you if they were saying someyhing like" cheney's daughter is a big ol' bull dyke".

but what i heard was support for her and other gays and lesbians.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:36 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I love all this squeamishness about sexuality all of a sudden. To think that a person's sexual behavior should be referred to in a political discussion. That's simply shocking!

After the Clinton years, anything goes in this regard. Those who used it against him can be thanked for that...

i agree d'art. i suspect that there's gonna be a similar discussion as relates to veterans and medals and who did what. thanks to swifties.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:11 pm
Don't - I saw that interview. The reporter actually mentioned Mr. Cheney's daughter was gay and then asked him the question. Consequently, Mr. Cheney answered in the manner he did.

Personally, I think this will backfire in a major way against Kerry/Edwards and Edwards' wife, all three of whom have felt it necessary to weigh in on this again and again.

I don't think many Americans enjoy seeing anyone's offspring brought into a political campaign against their will and they certainly recognize Kerry's sleazy and cowardly way of bringing it up.

Kerry's mother was right. He has absolutely no integrity.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:19 pm
Kerry's mother? She must have a cold heart.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:43 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
Edwards clearly tried to rattle Cheney by mentioning it.

Never let facts get in the way of your opinion huh.

Sozobe already quoted the actual transcript here, posting twice that Edwards only ever "mentioned it" after THE MODERATOR HAD ASKED ABOUT IT. Edwards did not spontaneously come up with the issue - he did not "bring it up" in order "to rattle Cheney"; the moderator asked about it and both Cheney and Edwards had to say something to the question, and Edwards was very polite in his answer.

Now if you want to go off on Kerry bringing it up last night thats another thing - I understand the point he was trying to make and I dont think it should be anything that one needs to be embarassed about being mentioned, but yes, he at least did spontaneously mention it all by himself. In the case of Edwards you are just whistling in the wind.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:48 pm
panzade wrote:

Don't believe everything you see posted, Pan ...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:54 pm
Ya'll need to stop hitting that partisan poison pipe, and think about this one. Of course it's wrong to bring the off spring into it. Would you want your child to have to suffer this type of public attack... from the leaders of our land? Do you want to hear questions like these in the future?

Mr. Kerry, how can you stand there and talk about family values when we have eyewitnesses that will testify that both your daughters lost their virginity before they were 15?

Mr. Bush, how can you stand there and say you're anti-abortion when your daughter's had 3 of them?

While free speech guarantees that the press can be so tasteless when reporting on public figures, taste, decency and common sense should keep the candidates themselves from going there. The press made much of Jimmy Carter's colorful brother, but I don't recall Ford, Bush or Reagan ever bringing him up. Have ya'll noticed that Bush isn't bringing up Teresa Kerry's numerous follies? Why? Because it's in bad taste, that's why... and that should damn well be enough when we're talking about someone's kids.

D'Art there is a big difference between referencing a President's behavior and referencing his offspring... think it through.

No worries though folks. This kind of foolishness polices itself. Some open-minded mothers and fathers have no doubt been turned off by Kerry's lack of tact, and while you stand here defending his er in judgment, his campaign people are no doubt figuring that out. The litmus test for this one is quite simple: Will it turn more people off than on? I doubt it's turning anyone on. Idea
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:58 pm
nimh wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:
Edwards clearly tried to rattle Cheney by mentioning it.

Never let facts get in the way of your opinion huh.

Sozobe already quoted the actual transcript here, posting twice that Edwards only ever "mentioned it" after THE MODERATOR HAD ASKED ABOUT IT. Edwards did not spontaneously come up with the issue - he did not "bring it up" in order "to rattle Cheney"; the moderator asked about it and both Cheney and Edwards had to say something to the question, and Edwards was very polite in his answer.

Now if you want to go off on Kerry bringing it up last night thats another thing - I understand the point he was trying to make and I dont think it should be anything that one needs to be embarassed about being mentioned, but yes, he at least did spontaneously mention it all by himself. In the case of Edwards you are just whistling in the wind.

The fact is Mary Cheney isn't the only lesbian on planet earth. Edwards can make his point about gay marriage or whatever without giving her special mention.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:02 pm
The point is Republicans have been trying to keep homosexuals in the closet..and if the goose is really a gander then there should be no shame for either party to embrace loved ones...and hopefully stop the hypocrisy spewing from Republican mouths...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:02 pm
Public attack? How on earth is this a public attack?

Kerry mentioned Bush's girls too, was that an attack?

And Bush mentioned Kerry's...

Mary Cheney was MENTIONED, as someone who has been very much at the center of this. Cheney disagrees with Bush. That's a story, and she comes up often, from many quarters (not just Dem). Kerry mentioned her in only positive terms (I guess unless you see homosexuality as inherently negative, which I don't think you do, Bill), and mentioned her in terms of putting a human face on the question of whether homosexuality is a choice.

Where was the attack?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:04 pm
CK -- THE MODERATOR GAVE HER SPECIAL MENTION!!!

It was clearly in terms of Cheney's "family's experience", and the moderator was herself referring to Cheney's OWN comments about Mary!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:14 pm
panzade wrote:

Pan - I know from your posts that you'll be voting for Kerry/Edwards and of course, that's fine.

What I'd like to say here is that I can state almost categorically that Vice-President Cheney would never have brought up any child of Edwards or Kerry no matter what their sexual orientation or anything else that might have made a mother or father uncomfortable.

Neither would Lynne Cheney have. You might not like their politics or their party affiliations, but these are decent people who, unlike Kerry and Edwards, will not stoop to anything to win. I think it's clear from the look of pain on Mr. Cheney's face when Edwards mentioned his daughter, Mary - not for what he said, but for the fact that he ventured into an area that was off limits.

There was absolutely no reason for any mention of Mary by either Kerry or Edwards and positively no reason for Edwards' wife to make the claim that Lynne is ashamed of her daughter.

Both President Bush and Vice-President Cheney love their families and it's that very priority that would preclude them from ever attacking or, yes, even mentioning family members of their opponents.

There are numerous reasons I could never vote for John Kerry, but they've always been based on his policies. Now I find him and those in his campaign that agree with him despicable. Forget that he'd be disastrous as a president - I agree with Lynne Cheney that he's a very, very bad man.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
Wow.

It makes no difference at all to you that the moderator of the debate specifically brought this up, and it was a response from Edwards?

Really doesn't, does it?

<gives up>
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:27 pm
Bill is right. This will police itself and backfire, but it's more than just a "lack of taste". It's a matter of common decency and now we know that the Kerry/Edwards team has exactly none.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:27 pm
sozobe wrote:

<gives up>

In a way I kind of pity them. Their candidate has lost all the debates, and they have nothing to divert attention with but bold faced lies.
0 Replies