teen diets

Green Witch

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:40 pm
V-ball - your problem might be your posture. I've noticed a lot of teen girls do not stand up properly. As a young teen I took ballet lessons and I learned how to stand correctly - chest up, belly in. Stand sideways in front of a mirror and pull up from your hip bones until your chest is up and your butt and belly are pulled inwards. Also watch when you sit, your spine should remain straight, if you lean back and let your spine curve your belly will pop out. You can always find a dance teacher to consult with about posture. It is also natural for some women to be pouchy in the belly area, it might go away as you approach your 20's or it might not, but good posture will help.
0 Replies

bo9sports

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 09:10 pm
weight loss
hi yes i am a 14 year old girl and i am 5'8 and i weigh 159 pounds should i go on a diet? and if i need to what is the best diet for me to go on?
right now i feel so so with my body. . Confused but i am not that happy about it
please help me!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 03:22 pm
bo9sports - go back to the begining of this thread and start reading it. All the answers you need are in the first 5 pages or so.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:28 am
v-ball_star,
Green witch made a good point. Posture can do wonders!

When I was in highschool, I loved to play sports. I was used to doing things well....like you....but I was short (5'2). I was self conscious about that (and my big chest doing funny things while playing sports). I joined v-ball and basketball. I got a hard time a lot, especially from myself, bc I wasn't exactly an athletic looking person. But I played through to high school, and did well, and had a lot of fun.

Don't be too hard on yourself, hun. In junior high and high school, it is perfectly normal to sometimes feel 'out of place'. Almost all of us felt that way! I remember looking at the girls around me and comparing myself to them, thinking things like "she's so lucky. Her stomach is so flat" or "she's so lucky. She's tall and so fricking athletic". I would bet you 100 000 dollars that other girls on your team are feeling the same way.

Try the posture trick (it really helps) and keep eating healthy and working out.

Take care
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:41 am
Someone's probably said this, but I just hit the first page and the last. Try running--the neat thing is that it tends to reduce your appetite, strangely enough. Get a good pair of shoes with cushioning. Go as far as you can comfortably, even if it's only a hundred paces or two hundred, don't stop when you're winded, walk till you get your wind back, and trot again, and repeat for a mile. You'll find in even a week you'll be running farther. Pick someplace with nice scenery. A park, a river, around a pond, a bike trail. Get a cheap MP3 player, or just listen to the birds. Being outdoors picks you up too (well, maybe not in February in Boston, but maybe where you are, and April is just around the corner anyway).
0 Replies

totalXbarbie

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:07 pm
my weight
im 15, a little more than i wanna weigh , no diets seem to work, or exercise, or fasting, i try everything, any ideas?
0 Replies

catlover

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:32 am
fat
am i over weight??? im 12 n a half and i weigh 139lbs help if u know any good diets plz tell me my m8z are skinny n keep telling me im not fat when i know i am so will any of u help me so i need diets plz ppl n help Exclamation
0 Replies

catlover

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:35 am
well totalXbarbie i need 2 know hw much u weigh until i can help
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:03 pm
First Catlover, please do not use text message abbreviations; we are old people here and it takes us too long to figure out what you are talking about.

Go back and read the first 6 pages of this thread and you will find the answers to your questions, plus some good links.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:12 am
Green Witch! I love it! I'm a young 20 something American guy and even I can't stand all of the text message garbage that people use! It may be one thing if you are messaging from a phone to use abbreviations- however I thought that there where specially designed programs to help guess words.

PROPER ENGLISH is a wonderful way to get a clear, concise message across to other people!

Enough about that- I noticed a few people talking about posture. I posted on the exercise board that I am/was and avid swimmer/polo player and like many of my breed I do have the trademark rounded shoulders and horrible posture. As an older male, does anyone have any suggestions on improving my posture (I'm specifying my sex simply because I don't think I want to take ballet lessons Very Happy ) If I try to push my shoulder back and "stand up straight" I quickly feel uncomfortable, and I look like trying to puff my chest out and walk around like a tough guy!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:16 am
Another ballet trick is to imagine that there is a string coming out of the top of your head and that someone is pulling on it, straight up. Things tend to fall into alignment as you just try to get the top of your head as high as it can go.

If you don't want to take ballet, is ballroom dancing an option? It's a good skill to have, and they teach posture, too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:17 am
(No tippy-toes, btw, feet flat on the floor, when doing the string trick.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
Re: my weight
totalXbarbie wrote:
im 15, a little more than i wanna weigh , no diets seem to work, or exercise, or fasting, i try everything, any ideas?

I doubt that 1) you are exercising 2) you are eating right and 3) you are overweight.

"Fasting" (AKA, read not eating) doesn't work because your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down, causing any food you do consume to stick to you like glue.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:57 am
By standing up straight and pushing your shoulders back you instantly lose 5 lbs and your boobs get bigger. Ok, so it just looks like you lost 5 lbs and your boobs are bigger...but hey...
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 04:06 pm
Haha!! Well I don't need my boobs to look bigger, that's for sure Smile Something else, well, that I don't think is affected by posutre!
Ahem!

Funny you mentioned the ball-room dancing. That is something my girlfriend brought up about a week or so ago. It is certainly something that I might find pleasant to do with her. Of course I would have to spend a few hours at home depot or at a bar playing pool with my boys! Something manly!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 06:53 pm
southerngent:

Have you tried yoga for your posture? Sitting up in Lotus pose, and doing a nice basic routine can make you Sooo very aware of your posture, if you stick with it.

http://www.yogajournal.com/index.cfm?ctsrc=tnav

It takes some time to get over the feeling uncomfortable in proper posture, but once you get into it ....it feels so much better and becomes second nature.
0 Replies

GradN2007

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:35 pm
My weight
Im a 16 year old male Im 5 feet 11 inches tall and I weigh 190 pounds. I am considered over weight?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:36 pm
I don't know. Do you feel overweight? Look overweight?

I hate questions like that.

They signal the desire to be someone that everyone else wants you to be. An expectation.

So are you happy with your body? If yes, then quite asking stupid questions. IF not, then do something about it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2006 06:29 am
Re: My weight
GradN2007 wrote:
Im a 16 year old male Im 5 feet 11 inches tall and I weigh 190 pounds. I am considered over weight?

Read this thread from the begining, the websites and answers you need are in the first 10 pages.
0 Replies

emilyisme

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:24 pm
Any Ideas?
I am 14. I also weigh about 250 lbs. I need some help. I am 6'0'' and 'larger' genes as my mom puts it, does run on both sides of my family. I would just like to know if anyone out there has any good diet plans or ideas for me. Thanks a lot!
0 Replies