Calories and Vitamins

Mon 31 May, 2010 04:52 pm
I am supposed to be on 1200 calorie a day diet. and they said that i shouldnt go below that, because i may no get the nutrients that i need and my metabolisim will slow. But if i also take vitamins will my metabolisim still slow down? And also I do excercise and my current calorie intake today is 1024 and I've burned off 700 calories do I need to replace them?
Can some one please help me understand diets and vitamins?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 11,620 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Mon 31 May, 2010 06:54 pm
@StaceyRBrown,
geez, we get an ad as an answer, and it gets some kind of ribbon. Big annoyance.

We have many weight loss threads and many useful threads re eating, nutrition, exercise, and fitness.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 31 May, 2010 06:58 pm
@StaceyRBrown,
Yes, if you consumed 1024 calories today and burned off 700 by exercising, you definately need to replace them. What are you on, The Auschweitz Thirty Day Weight Loss Plan?

I don't know a thing about your situation, but you need to start eating.
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 31 May, 2010 09:00 pm
@StaceyRBrown,
Quote:
But if i also take vitamins will my metabolisim still slow down?

Vitamins should not affect your metabolism. Vitamins have no calories.

Quote:
Why does a very low calorie intake slow down weight loss?

Quite simply, your body goes into 'starvation mode'. This mechanism, which is thought to have evolved as a defense against starvation, means the body becomes super efficient at making the most of the calories it does get from food and drink. The main way it does this is to protect its fat stores and instead use lean tissue or muscle to provide it with some of the calories it needs to keep functioning. This directly leads to a loss of muscle, which in turn lowers metabolic rate so that the body needs fewer calories to keep ticking over and weight loss slows down. Of course, this is the perfect solution if you're in a famine situation. But if you're trying to lose weight, it's going to do little to help you shift those unwanted pounds.

So how many calories should I have to prevent starvation mode?

Unfortunately, there's no single answer to this question. As everyone's metabolism varies in the first place, so too will the point when the body starts to use muscle to provide it with calories in a 'famine-type' situation.
As a general rule though, most nutrition experts recommend never going below 1,000-1,200 calories a day if you're dieting on your own.

What's the link between muscle and metabolism?

The metabolic rate - the rate at which the body burns calories - is partly determined by the amount of muscle we have. In general, the more muscle we have, the higher our metabolic rate; the less muscle we have, the lower our metabolic rate. This explains why men, who have a high proportion of muscle, have a faster metabolism than women, and why a 20-year-old has a higher metabolism than a 70-year-old - again, they have more muscle.

Ultimately, muscle burns a lot more calories than fat so when we lose muscle, our metabolic rate drops and we burn fewer calories. In fact, research shows that the body loses a proportionately high amount of muscle with a very low calorie intake and this may considerably suppress metabolism by up to 45 percent.

This explains why it's crucial to do as much as you can to protect your metabolic rate, especially when you're dieting. And this means dieting sensibly with a suitable, rather than a very low calorie intake so that you lose fat rather than muscle.
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/burning_calories/starvation.htm

Why are you on a 1200 calorie a day diet? Are you trying to lose weight? Maintain your weight?

Who is supervising your diet? A doctor? A nutritionist? Have you tried to discuss your questions with them?

What kind of exercise do you do? 700 calories is a lot to burn off exercising in one day--are you sure you aren't overdoing the exercise?

Concentrate on getting 1200 calories a day on a sensible, well balanced diet. Don't worry about replacing the calories you are burning off exercising unless you start losing weight too quickly. If you are exercising a good deal each day, you should discuss this with your doctor, or with the health professional who is supervising your diet. They might suggest increasing your total calorie intake, perhaps to 1500 calories a day to balance out what you burn off exercising. If your goal is to lose weight, you are better off doing that gradually and slowly, aiming for a weight loss of no more than 2 lbs a week. And you should do this under a doctor's supervision.
0 Replies

mackwhite

Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:26 am
@StaceyRBrown,
As you are supposed to take 1200 calories per day but you still taking 1024 and loose 700 during exercise it means your everydays calories should be 1900. You should eat more green vegetbles and fruits.. for your good health.
0 Replies

Jeniifer

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:52 am
Yes, as everyone else suggested I would too recommend you the same thing having the calories as per said to have/day. Also, we are not aware of what you are going through..Can you please share so that we can explore more to even what you should take and what not.
0 Replies

davidmartin414

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 04:54 am
@StaceyRBrown,
HI, Friend's
yes you are right.
0 Replies

Erinf

Mon 14 Apr, 2014 06:05 am
Diet is the food which is consumed by a person to maintain good health. And vitamins are the chemical constituents present in food which are very important for body growth.
0 Replies