I ate meat. How can I get my friends to move on?

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 01:44 am
I started being a vegetarian July 1, 2011. I broke down and ate meat November 25 and 26. )= After those two days, I have NOT ate meat. Since then, I have not craved meat. (= I find the taste disgusting, which has made it easier for me to be a vegetarian, because I don't miss it nor crave it.

So I'm just wondering, how do I get my friends to understand I'm still a vegetarian, because when I do, my friends say, "oh, you ate meat. you're not vegetarian anymore". Sh*t happens and you have to move on and get over it, but they just won't let it go. I'm human. I'm not perfect. I've accepted the fact that what I did was wrong, I've moved on. Why can't they? It is MY life.

Btw, when people, like adults, ask how long I've been vegetarian, do I say since July or November? I get this question a lot.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 01:54 am
@32013,
Some philosophers argue "my life" is an oxymoron. Think about it !

...and some philosophers argue that "self" is a dis-unified argumentative committee. Think about that too!
roger

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 02:45 am
@fresco,
Others might argue we are being invited to sign up for a vacation plan. I did not click the link, but you might. Report back if it seems interesting.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 03:51 am
@32013,
32013 wrote:
I started being a vegetarian July 1, 2011.
I hope u don 't become a humanitarian.

David
roger

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 04:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Now, that's funny, David.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 06:23 am
@32013,
32013 wrote:
I started being a vegetarian July 1, 2011. I broke down and ate meat November 25 and 26. )= After those two days, I have NOT ate meat. Since then, I have not craved meat. (= I find the taste disgusting, which has made it easier for me to be a vegetarian, because I don't miss it nor crave it.

So I'm just wondering, how do I get my friends to understand I'm still a vegetarian, because when I do, my friends say, "oh, you ate meat. you're not vegetarian anymore". Sh*t happens and you have to move on and get over it, but they just won't let it go. I'm human. I'm not perfect. I've accepted the fact that what I did was wrong, I've moved on. Why can't they? It is MY life.
Just explain it the same as u did in your first paragraf hereinabove.
If thay don't accept what u say,
its because thay r just being mean, for the fun of it.
(That means that thay r being sadistic, at your expense.)
Get some better friends, if u wanna; maybe some meatatarians.

32013 wrote:
Btw, when people, like adults, ask how long I've been vegetarian,
do I say since July or November? I get this question a lot.
(I surmise that u r not an adult ??)
Either say November, or give them the full explanation (which is very short).
I suspect that when thay ask, thay probably r thinking in terms of years, not months.

WELCOME to the forum, 32013!

Do u wanna give us your first name, or a nickname
for us to call u by ??

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 06:51 am
Your friends may never let it go, because you reject their lifestyle, making it seem to some you hold yourself superior. They will use this for the equalizer. The question ought to be, How can you move on?
jespah

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:01 am
@edgarblythe,
Your friends are carping on unnecessary nonsense. You started being a vegetarian in July. You had a lapse. Big freakin' deal. If they can't let it go then they are obsessing over trivia.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:04 am
Why are your friends so obsessed with your eating habits?

Why are you so obsessed with what they think?

If this is some kind of "betrayal" in their minds, time to move on to friends who accept you - no matter what diet you choose to follow.

The whole thing seems petty to me, but what do I know?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:05 am
Let's shoot some sumbitch . . . that'll learn 'em . . .
jespah

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:05 am
@Setanta,
And then have burgers?
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:09 am
@jespah,
Oooo . . . long pork . . . yum ! ! !
jespah

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:14 am
@Setanta,
Silly dude.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:24 am
In England, there is a tradition of taking the piss. You need to give the piss, and learn how to take the piss. You'd not fare well in an English pub.

If you're bothered by your friend's jabs, you are taking yourself too seriously.

A
R
T
Mame

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:40 am
Just quit thinking and talking about it. Not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. Surely you have something more interesting in your life than that.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:41 am
@32013,
Get some new friends. And tell people whatever you want. Slipping up doesn't negate a lifestyle of choices, just proves you're human and not some walking vegan promo board.

Congrats on sticking with it as long as you have. That's not an easy lifestyle from what I understand.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:48 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
In England, there is a tradition of taking the piss. You need to give the piss, and learn how to take the piss.
You'd not fare well in an English pub.

If you're bothered by your friend's jabs, you are taking yourself too seriously.

A
R
T
What a dum thing to say!
This has nothing to do with urination
any more than it has to do with English bars.

What does she need to know about English bars ??????

David
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 10:03 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Some philosophers argue "my life" is an oxymoron. Think about it !

...and some philosophers argue that "self" is a dis-unified argumentative committee. Think about that too!

Worst. Advice. Ever.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 11:23 am
@jespah,
Thank you! Exactly what I was thinking so what...if that is all they find fault with you talk about your shallow idiots. So what - those are the type of people I'd love to eat a bloody rare thick steak in front of their faces.

Your friends should not care whether you are a meat eater or a veggie - it is a personal decision.
Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 11:24 am
@Setanta,
Aha eating that right now in a enchillotta