teen diets

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:41 pm
everybody says i am over weight for a 14 yr old (140 pounds) do you have any good teen diets i want more self confidence
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 52,878 • Replies: 276
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:45 pm
How tall are you?
holister hottie

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:49 pm
5 foot 4 inches
Montana

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:09 pm
at that height, 140 is just a tiny bit overweight. I suggest you exercise more to burn some calaries. You could also just watch what you eat and when you eat. I'd cut out the junk food, if you eat any or atleast cut out half of it. also you don't want to eat atleast 3 hours before you go to bed.
0 Replies

bubbagrl 11

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 05:28 pm
Could someone help me too?? i have kind of the same problem as holister_hottie. im 13 and i weight 150 lbs.(!!!) im having trouble dieting right.
i get jealous of my friends because they are skinny, and i want to look like them. im a size 10-almost 15. it makes me both mad and sad that i am having trouble losing weight. please help me someone!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:08 am
Bubbagrl
The trick is watching what you eat, when you eat, how much you eat, but most of all, getting plenty of exercise. Eat lots of fruit and don't eat for atleast 3 hours before you go to bed. Again, exercise is the best way to lose weight. I always found exercise video tapes very helpful. You'd be amazed at how fit you'll become if you exercise for only 30 minutes every day. Also, you'll want to cut back on strarchy foods like pasta, bread, crackers, etc. I use to keep myself on a calarie diet, meaning I would only allow myself so many calaries a day. I had a calarie counter book and I measured all my food and I wouldn't go over the amount of calaries I based myself on and that, along with regular exercise worked great.
Whatever you do, never starve yourself. It's all about eating healthy, exercise and determination. Nothing comes easy, so you have to be willing to work for it ;-)

Good luck to you both.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:45 am
Exercise, stay away from junk food, exercise, keep the carbs low, exercise, don't drink sweetened drinks or soda (empty calories, but little nutrition), drink water instead, eat lots of filling but low calorie foods like veggies and salads, and if I forgot, exercise.

What you want is more bang for your nutritional buck. Learn what foods are high in desirable nutrients, are filling, but don't put on the pounds.

And the mention of exercise. The teen years are rife with anxiety. (Take it from someone who has been there, done that). Often people, when faced with emotionally charged problems, will reach for high calorie, low nutrition, "comfort foods". Exercise is a great way to deal with these anxieties. Getting your heart rate up, and sweating, will release endorphins, which will give a person a wonderful, non-drug induced, "high". You will feel better, and will burn more calories, and fat!
0 Replies

Amber71220

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:32 pm
I need someone to let me know if I am overweight or not. I weigh around 130 pounds (126 to be exact) I'm 13 and i am 5 foot 4 inches.

If so is there any tips yall can give me that can help me loose weight? I have a tredmill and I know I'm going to start excersising a lot more often but I need tips on dieting. My problem is over-eating, mostly junk food and I just can't stop.

Thanks!
0 Replies

teenz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 06:50 pm
I need help
I am a 15 year old girl (i will be 16 in february) I think im obease. Im 5feet tall and weigh between 198-200 lbs. Plz Help Me Some One Sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:29 am
The main thing I have to emphasize to you is that not eating is the absolute worst thing to do to lose weight.
It ends up having the opposite effect becasue your body will sense starvation and will start to keep all the fat that you currently possess in order to make it through the hard times that have hit you.
Eat often, eat small portions, give yourself "treats" on occasion so that you aren't denying yourself the little cravings that lead to binge eating, educate yourself about what foods are unhealthy (just becasue they're veggies, doesn't mean that they weren't cooked in a half cup of oil), don't eat right before bed, and exercise at an intensity that increases your heart rate (of makes you feel out of breath).
Also, increasing the amount of protein can have positive effects (eggs, meat, protein powder, milk etc).
Just stay away from any supplements that claim to make you lose weight. They don't work--and if they did, they would be flying off the shelf, and one company would be very rich, while every competitor copied exactly what they made.
Losing weight is a major committment and it requires major sacrifices...be prepared to be very unhappy on the road to weight loss. But once you're there, you will never go back!

On a final note...never weigh yourself! Muscle is more dense (heavy) than fat, and "weight" can be very deceiving. Just go by how you look, and use your mirror as your gauge for your ideal size.

Good luck.
0 Replies

ocsoftballer

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:25 pm
im 15 and weigh 140Lbs. i was alot bigger when i was 12, 13, and 14. over the summer and stuff ive lost alot of what looked like fat. i also am involved in sports tho so i dont know if that has anything to do with it. i dont think you should go on a diet. if people dont like you for who you are and only look at your looks then i say forget them. when i was bigger i feel the same way. i was down on my self and cared what everyone else thought. once i stopped caring what others thought and got my own opinion, i didnt even realize that i was losing weight. i say give it some time and just exercise some and besides you still have room to grow. dont worry about a diet. your too young to be worried about them.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:57 pm
Well, one thing I have to discourage is the mentality that some overweight people are adopting--and that is big is beautiful.
Being confident in oneself, and having a positive body image no matter what size is one thing, but being at an unhealthy weight, living an unhealthy lifestyle, and justifying it as "I like how I look, why should I change?" is another altogether.
I have encountered many overweight individuals who have justified their constant weight increases in reference to the fact that they shouldn't be forced to conform with Hollywood's idealism. But the fact is, being overweight is unhealthy, and being drastically overweight and unwilling to change is just irresonsible.

Like I said...it is a very tough and trying road to travel...but so is heart peoblems and other weight related ailments.
0 Replies

teenz

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:03 pm
Thank you
Yes in grade 8 (2 years ago) I was trying to become anerexic but it didnt work out. now im trying to try to be a vegitarian. Plz let me know if this is a good choice.
0 Replies

teenz

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:05 pm
also, on this note, i exercise for 60 minutes daily and eat rarely any junk food. i eat every meal but just small portions. now i am a vegitarian so this is even easier.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:15 pm
I lost a lot of fat last summer after I learned how to eat right.

5 small meals a day instead of 3 large ones. You can eat whatever you want but if you take in more calories than you burn in a day you are going to gain fat. But if you eat to little your body holds on to everything like candid0ne said. At my lowest calorie intake I was around 1500 a day at my highest I was around 1900. My wife, who is considerably smaller than I am was at 1200 and 1600. It was enough food to not starve and a small enough amount to burn fat.

Exersice burns calories... watching tv doesn't. Exercise more. take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk places instead of getting rides. Run instead of walk.

Stay away from fad diets like Atkins... they cause more damage than good.
0 Replies

teenz

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:05 pm
ya. i exercise daily on a epiletic machine (easy steper thingy) and am a vegitarian.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:20 pm
Well, like Atkins, omitting foods form your diet can have negative side effects.
If your're worried about the integrity of the meats in the supermarket, get a hold of a local butcher/farmer or buy organic.
Vegetarianism is not healthy IMO.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:12 pm
You shouldnt think in terms of weight, it is deceptive. Muscle weighs far more than fat does. Focus more on body fat percentage. For women, 20%-33% is considered normal/healthy. For men it is about 10%-24%, give or take a bit for both sexes. To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you eat. Sugar is your enemy, simple carbs like white bread and potatos are also bad. Try and eat foods that are low on the Glycemic Index: 12 grain breads, wild rice, unproccessed foods . Avoid spikes in blood sugar(soda pop, skittles, chocolate bars, etc); Fat forms when you have to much energy in your system, when carbs and fat absorb too quickly. 5 small meals a day is good advice.

Saturated fats are to be avoided, but a small amount is necessary. Mono and Polyunsaturated fats are actually good for you, but too much of anything is bad. Lean steaks and chicken are good, I would avoid pork products.

The bottom line is that losing weight is labor intensive, youre gonna have to be dedicated. Spend time preparing good, complete meals. Think ahead, be conscious of what you eat. Multvitamins with all the micro nutrients are a must. Also, it is wise to get your heart rate above 160 for at least 20 minutes a day; that means running around the block 5 times a day. It sucks now, but these habits will serve you well for the rest of your life. You just gotta put your mind to it.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:01 pm
Instigate wrote:
I would avoid pork products.

Why would you do this?

Instigate wrote:
It sucks now, but these habits will serve you well for the rest of your life.

And it's better to get in the habit now than later on when bad habits are more difficult to break.
I simply don't purchase certain items when I buy groceries (chips, soda, candy, butter etc.) ...and I don't even miss them.
It's all about conditioning yourself.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:44 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Instigate wrote:
I would avoid pork products.

Why would you do this?

Pigs are just fatty animals. Ham is OK, but bacon, pork chops, sausages, etc. You can get a lean cut of any animal, but pork just makes me nervous. They're dirty animals; tapeworms, E. Coli, and numerous other parasites are particularly common in pork. I'll only eat it if its overcooked. I'm prolly just paranoid.
0 Replies