teen diets

fat gotta go

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:22 am
i really need help... I am 5''5 and 155... I need to lose weight to fit into a dress I have that belonged to my mother and she wants me to wear it... She wore it when she was 20 some and I am younger than that and I don't want to disappoint her in not being able to wear it... GOT ANY GOOD TIPS FOR LOSING WEIGHT...
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:25 am
Eat less. Move more.

Don't believe the fad diets out there. They are short term so;lutions that often leave you in a worse state then when you started.
0 Replies

fat gotta go

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:26 am
Thanks any tips on what i should eat and do??
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:41 am
Refer to my earlier post:

Fruits, veggies, water---stay away from a lot of carbs but don't cut them out all together. Eat breakfast; have a piece of fruit and some cold cereal. For lunch a sandwich (minus the mayo and junk) with some fresh fruit or low fat chips (not a lot!). For dinner fish or low fat meat like chicken. Skip the potatoes and have some green veggies instead. The key is moderation. Not elimination. You can have candy...just have 1/2 of a candy bar instead of the whole thing. Or instead of a 10oz steak, get the 6oz. Moderation.

Water water water! Take a multiviatmin and drink low fat milk.

You are not, let me repeat, NOT going to lose the weight you want in a month. Maybe not 6 months (I am not sure what your goal is) but you will lose it and stay healthy.

Cardio is extremely important as is strength training to tighten up muscles that have been covered by a layer of fat. Walk if that's all you can do. Start small and move up from there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:45 am
Re: Milk & Meals
KissyFace22 wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if drinking chocolate milk would be the same as drinking white milk... because a lot of the answers on this site say DRINK MILK! But to be honest I despise milk... I love chocolate milk though, so if I could drink chocolate milk instead of white that would be awesome??

Also... when you say eat 5 small meals instead of 3 what exactly do these meals include and what time in the day should I be eating them? I'm almost 15, 5"5' 1/2 and I weigh about 150 (Competative Basketball Player...so very into physical activity).... Could you give me a few examples of "small meals" that would be healthy and easy to take to school??

Thanks! Very Happy

Since you are active, your meals can include just about anything you want, provided you keep them small. A ham sandwich (minus the mayo) with low fat cheese if you must with low fat chips (small portion) and a piece of fruit. By bringing food from home you are already cutting GINORMOUS amounts of fat from your diet. School food isn't exactly healthy.

Just mind the fat you take in everyday. You are still growing so it's important to get enough. Keep it low fat. You will probably need more carbs than most because you are so active. Suggestion? See your doctor. They can either refer you to a nutritionist or help you set up a "diet" for you. And by diet I mean the kind and amount of food you take in everyday.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:47 am
Sure.

Start with eating 5-6 small meals per day instead of the 3 square that you learned you should eat when you were little.

This helps speed up your metabolism and gives your body a constant supply of energy. If your body has energy there is no need for it to convert calories to fat. I'm not sure how much you are eating already, but try to stay around 1400 - 1600 calories a day.

My meals are usually as follows:

Breakfast = two toaster pancakes with light syrup and one fried egg (dry not fried in butter or fat). This is a good balance of carbs which your body uses for quick energy and protein which is used a bit slower.

mid morning snack = one granola bar (around 140 calories) and either some fruit or some nuts (almonds or macadamia are my favorite).

Lunch = Turkey or Ham sandwich with mustard, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Occasionally I'll also have a small serving of tortilla chips and salsa as well.

Mid day snack = sometimes another sandwich. sometimes chips and salsa with some fresh fruit. sometimes a salad with lowfat dressing.

Dinner = grilled chicken breast (BBQ sauce optional) steamed corn and a dinner roll or peice of bread.

You can change the foods you eat but try to get a good balance of carbs and proteins. Be sure to get good amounts of fresh fruit and vegetables as well as whole grain breads and lowfat meats such as turkey and chicken. Ground turkey makes delicious hamburgers without the fat in ground beef.

Just try to keep each meal to around 300 - 400 calories and make smart decisions about what you eat. No more fast food (although Subway makes delicious low calorie sandwiches) or junk food. it is ok to treat yourself once in awhile and if you shop around you can find delicious lowfat and low calorie alternatives. Snackwells makes delicious cookie cakes that are only 50 calories each. I'll treat myself to one or two every once in awhile. There are also lowfat ice cream sandwiches that are barley over 100 calories that really take the edge off of junk food cravings. just remeber "All things in moderation."

The most important thing you can do besides eating right is moving more. If you can't get to a gym, start taking walks with a friend. Take the stairs instead of using the elevator. Do push-ups, squats, and cruches (NOT FULL SIT-UPS) to help build muscle. Cardio is great for your heart and for calorie burning. Ride a bike, go for a run, roller blade... whatever gets your heart going.

If you want some more support check out this thread:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5813&start=2460

There is a group of us try to cut 10 pounds and we report in and give each other support. By the way... Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 02:42 pm
Update on the milk issue....too much of a good thing can be bad.

Scary Dairy
0 Replies

Nani

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 05:03 pm
Hi, I'm 14 about 5'6 and I weight 197 pounds my goal is to lose about 60 pounds before I start high school this fall. And even though I've read all these other posts and I kinda get a idea of what I should do these other girls are obviously not my more...intense weight so I was wondering two things. One I have never really been the kind of person to just guess I need more structure so is there more of a specific way I can eat? I would really like to know just to know more about the exact amount and things I should eat. Second I wanted to know which types of exercise helps burn the most weight and if there is anything I could do to knock off my stomach fat? Thanks.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:02 pm
Hey Nani,

The amount you eat really depends on the individual. A person with a more active lifestyle will be able to eat more than a person who spends more time sitting down.

Start by cutting out junk food. No candy. No Donuts. NO SODA. No McDonalds... you get the idea. Replace these items with fruits and vegetables and lowfat meat like chicken breast as well as whole grain breads. Dairy is ok but eat it in moderation. It usually has a lot of calories.

Also watch your portion control. Instead of eating everything on your plate... just eat half. DO NOT EAT TO LITTLE. Eating to little will cause your metabolism to shut down and start shedding your muscle mass. Your muscle is what burns calories and the more of it you have the more calories you will burn.

Stop drinking soda and juices which are high in sugar and calories and start drinking water. It is good for you and calorie free.

You can not target just the fat on your stomach. The good news is you will lose fat every where and get healthy in the process. Try going for walks with friends. When you feel up for it start jogging instead of walking. Take stair instead of elevators. Have your parents park far away from the door when you go out instead of waiting for a spot close to the door. All of these things add up and burn calories. Cardio exercise is good to burn fat AND keep your heart healthy.

Don't get depressed if you don't see results right away... it is hard work and not an insant fix. But it is well worth it so hang in there and don't give up. You can do it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:14 pm
Nani - start by keeping a food and exercise diary. Write down everything, even the little piece of cheese or two gummy bears you pop in your mouth without thinking. It will make you more aware of what you are eating and where you can cut down.

Instead of watching TV - go for a speedy walk. Buy a pedometer (any sports store has them for about $15) and do a couple of miles each day. My parents got rid of our TV when I was about 12 years old and I lost 10 lbs that year just by playing outside instead of sitting in front of the tube.
0 Replies

oklahomacowgirl51

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 08:46 am
weight loss
Hey everybody. I was surfing the web looking for some diet information. and then i came to this site. and figured that i could give some. i used to be pretty chubby when i was younger, but i wasn't very active. but when i started to become athletic, the weight just came off. So even if you feel like you can't, join the track team, or basketball team, cheerleading squad, SOMETHING, and i promise you that you will notice a difference. You can exercise all you want on your own, but if you have a team, you will do so much better and accomplish so much more, because you have your team behind you to push you. I'm on the track team, cross country team, and cheerleading squad, and i can always tell a big difference from season to season. And another thing is watch what you eat. I know it feels like you can't stop, and you have these cravings, because i used to feel like that, and then i would feel horrible after i ate all of it. but you CAN, it's just talking to yourself, that's all. When i wanted to do good at state in cross country, the whole time before that and regionals, when i would eat, i would ask myself, will this help me run better? and it just got so easy. You have to learn not to eat for taste, but for fuel. and learn how to eat for energy. Learn when will give you more energy. High Fiber and protien foods will keep you fuller longer, and give you more energy than a cookie that will just give you quick energy. Just talk to yourself, ask if it will help accomplish your goals. Because I've accomplished mine, it worked for me, it took about 2 years, so it's nothing fast by any means. I'm 5 ft 6 and a half inches, and 126 lbs, and i'm not really trying to lose weight, because muscle weighs more than fat, just find a good diet plan to stick with and lose a couple inches off my waist. So if anybody could give me some hints, that'd be great. Sorry this was so long guys.... hope i helped!
0 Replies

GMac04

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 10:06 am
I totally agree with joining a sports team, not only will you be more active but youll constantly be motivated by teammates and coaches. You will make good friends in the process. and most importantly its fun! Good luck.
0 Replies

lulu7

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:22 pm
teen diets
I am 15 yrs old, i have been walking working out a little bit and eating right. it has been almost 2 weeks and i havent lost any weight. am i doing something wrong?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:46 am
Re: teen diets
lulu7 wrote:
I am 15 yrs old, i have been walking working out a little bit and eating right. it has been almost 2 weeks and i havent lost any weight. am i doing something wrong?

What's a little bit? And what are you eating? 2 weeks isn't very long, you might lose 2-3 lbs if you're doing it right.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:47 am
Hi lulu7, welcome to A2K.

Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day each time you weigh? I usually weigh-in first thing in the morning after using the toilet. Also, depending on where you are in your cycle your weight can fluctuate up and down with water weight. Over the course of a month you should see a change from where you started.

Keep on doing what youre doing. It will show up on the scale eventually. Are your clothes fitting any differently?
0 Replies

lulu7

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:26 pm
I have been doin an ab workout from a magazine i seen. I have also been doing the slim fast diet i eat yogurt and fruit for snacks but i have not had slim fast in a while so i have been trying to eat what seems right like wraps... i weigh myself in the afternoon after i have used the bathroom, i asked my mom about not losing weight she said I might jus be bloated and on a plateau and if i keep doin what I am doin I will lose the weight. I would like to lose 20-25 pds do you have any tips for more weight loss? thanks
0 Replies

BrazilianWoman

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:44 pm
I have two tips for the ones who want to be slim:

- go to the nutritionist. You'll learn how to eat.

- work out ( cardio and weight training). It's very important to increase the amount of muscle in your body. For every extra pound of muscle you put on, your body uses around 50 extra calories a day. :wink:
0 Replies

shana girl

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:04 pm
Do I need to lose weight?
Hey I think i'm fat but everyone says i'm fine, I'm 5'6 and my weight is 128
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 03:22 pm
OK one more time:

Here is the site you need shanagirl:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
0 Replies

mschubbyy

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:36 pm
im soo fat

hii ; im almost 15 and i weigh 193 and im 5'10. wats the best diett plan i should go on?? Is south beach diett good for this?? =/

writee backk pleaseee
0 Replies