The new Democratic party. What will it look like?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:19 pm
@georgeob1,
Victor Hanson wrote a very interesting and enlightening article in National Review about this Californian fact. Highly recommend it. Apparently Hanson has long family ties to the State (and rural area) and is loath to leave what he describes as a society rotting from within. Can't imagine he will endure for much longer.

I have family in California: A retired college professor brother with a Phd in Economics, his daughter a partner in a law firm that specializes in Hollywood Celeb clients, and his son, a doctor. All of them are liberals, however their left-wing zeal diminishes in the order I've listed them.

I love them all but my brother and niece came dangerously close to damaging our relationships after the election. Thankfully they came to their senses after a few playdoh sessions and all is OK (Unless they are members here and identify me by my referencing them Laughing ).

The "kids" live on the coast and my brother lives in Palm Springs for half of the year. All of them adore California and except for a few complaints about high costs of living (which they all can overcome) they wouldn't change their beloved State much at all.

Their thinking about politics and by extension California, could not be more different than my own. Since I too was afflicted with liberal thought until the age of 30, I believe I know how they have come to think as they do, but obviously they are not willing to accept my explanations for the positions they hold. Every once in a while I see signs from my nephew that he is evolving, but he lives in such an Echo Chamber that I'm sure it's difficult for him.

What is heartening is that despite our polar opposite views on issues that a lot of people would describe as very important, we still have very caring relationships and can easily manage to spend time with one another that doesn't involve political discussions.

Still I would very happily visit them all in another country if California were to secede.

For quite some time it has been conventional wisdom that things happen in California and then spread East. To some extent this has been true, but its unlikely that the States to California's East (especially those that have attracted disaffected Californians) are going to embrace the suicidal policies of the Golden State.
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Since I too was afflicted with liberal thought until the age of 30, I believe I know how they have come to think as they do, but obviously they are not willing to accept my explanations for the positions they hold.

I'd love to hear this Laughing , assuming they are general reasons and not unique/specific to your family.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:32 pm
@maporsche,
Your laughing emoticon somehow causes me to question your sincerity.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:36 pm
@Frugal1,
What is unfortunate is that Schumer entered post-election DC as a longtime friend of Trump who initially talked about working with him where possible. Clearly, he knew Trump wasn't the monster he's been painted as by the Left, or he is entirely without any principle at all and was happy to befriend a monster for the benefits he derived.

Suddenly he has morphed into Rabid Obstructionman.

Could it be that he has decided to jettison his principles in favor of support from the mad Trump Haters?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Your laughing emoticon somehow causes me to question your sincerity.

No, I'd really love to hear what your opinion is on why people are/remain to be liberals.

I anticipate it to be hilarious (hence the emoticon). I'd love a good laugh.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:42 pm
@maporsche,
You're loving a good laugh helps explain your reliably laughable response to most posts.

Enjoy your giggles.
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I will. I do.

Your picture is of a clown, you must enjoy making people laugh.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 04:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thanks. An interesting story. I've lived in many places but California has been my home for the past 11 years, and I was fortunate enough to have bought a home in the Bay area about 28 years ago. San Francisco still has engaging residues of its former Irish, Italian, Chinese ethnic flavors, but the continuing trend is towards a monotone, dull, sappy, tasteless broth of political correctitude.

I frequently have to catch myself in commenting on things, particularly with new arrivals who appear to overcompensate for the "california scene".

Beneath the surface it is degenerating into two very distinct worlds; one of gritty crime, near poverty, injustice, and, for the immigrants in it (who generally work very hard) victimization; the other of neat, picturesque towns like Carmel, Mill Valley, Palo Alto, La Jolla and others, filled with prosperous folks of ambition and refined tastes & appetites, who speak, ever so correctly, of justice and equity for those who they carefully keep at a great distance from themselves.

Still there are places with some character and real variation (I hesitate to use the word diversity because it no longer has much meaning) and that's where I usually hang out.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 04:22 pm
@georgeob1,
I was, frankly, surprised by Hanson's report of the extent of crime outside the coastal cities.

It's a beautiful State, but as with France, I love California, I just can't stand Californians

Actually this isn't entirely true either. I've met quite a few very decent people in California. Unfortunately there is very little rational thought going on in the governance of the State or most of its cities.

Just imagine if it was weather-wise a lot more like North Dakota...everyone would leave...especially the homeless.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 04:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I should add that, just as the way one could identify a Trump supporter (out here at least) during the recent campaign, was to note the guy who kept his mouth shut in a conversation, there are still some scenes, clubs and venues that are refreshingly incorrect and similarly identifiable. One is the "Triple I" club - a club for Irish, Italians and Jews that meets about monthly at the IAC (= Italian Athletic Club) on Washington Square ( very little athletics there however). I recall at my first appearance some years ago: I was seated next to a VP from Wells Fargo bank on one side, a well-known Jewish Poatroness of the Arts on the other, while the guy across from me, with the dyed chest hair and the gold chain, was a retired pimp.
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:47 pm
@georgeob1,
funny though, around here it was pretty much the other way around. Trumpies were usually the loudmouthed ones who always "knew wht ails a liberal", or "all the liberals are commies and disloyal"
It was kinda scary if you went to a bar for an orange sooda and a piece of cheese.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:25 pm
@farmerman,
Well you know what they (increasingly) say about cheese eaters !

I heard the same thing from a friend who lives near Gettysberg. The coastal thing is indeed becoming more pronounced.

That said, there do appear to be some just emerging new trends among the various "groups" that the PC folks love so well suggesting some apparently diffusing voting patterns. Could it be that we are drifting (slowly) towards becoming a nation of individuals ?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:51 pm
@farmerman,
if you go to a bar for an orange soda and a piece of cheese you are bound to and deserve to be accosted.
giujohn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:58 pm
@efoster67,
efoster67 wrote:

Calexit? Sounds scary considering how tough the gun laws are in California. If they left the union they would outright ban them. Once a country doesn't let you have guns it's no longer any good to live in.

And they should be easy to conquer 😈
giujohn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

if you go to a bar for an orange soda and a piece of cheese you are bound to and deserve to be accosted.

The world would be a better place if we all eat more cheesecake or pie.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:06 pm
@giujohn,
But not in bars.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:12 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

And they should be easy to conquer 😈

But of course the free state of California would expect the remaining 49 states to come to it's defense if attacked.

We would, of course, but it would be satisfying for a few of us if we allowed Mexican patriots to invade their former possession with AK-47's and unopposed.

Elections have consequences and so do tearing away from the Union.
giujohn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 09:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

But not in bars.

The best cheesecake I ever had was made with beer and cheddar cheese...
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 09:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In actuality we would have a valid reason not to allow the sessession for security reasons. Those treehugging no guns bleeding-heart liberals would be easy prey for any despoctic government who wanted to envade and we couldn't let anyone get a foothold on the mainland.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)