The new Democratic party. What will it look like?

McGentrix

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 12:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

]That's a kind of "alt-history" I suppose.

The (late) feudalism was the origin of capitalism, becoming what is now known as 'capitalism# in the eleventh century (see: the role then played by mercantile élites with innovated new forms of business organisations).

Speaking of "alt-history"...

Modern capitalism fully emerged in the early modern period between the 16th and 18th centuries, with the establishment of mercantilism or merchant capitalism.

It has changed a LOT since then.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 12:21 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Modern capitalism fully emerged in the early modern period between the 16th and 18th centuries, with the establishment of mercantilism or merchant capitalism.

It has changed a LOT since then.
No doubt that it changed, like every- and anything else.

Perhaps, we Europeans have a different look to when (9th century in the medieval Islamic world) and where (Medieval countries) emerged.

Adam Smith's "mercantile system" referred to economic thoughts and policies from the sixteenth to the late eighteenth centuries, but "capitalistic" merchants had been acting already earlier. (Teh first known German "capitalists", the Fuggers, started there business in the 14th century - following the earlier Italian and French traditions.)

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 02:02 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
[Were I an ex-President, I'd likely do the same thing. I have no grudge about Obama turning his life into a fortune now. He is a citizen again now and I hope he enjoys the life of a good capitalist. /quote]

I have know grudge either but I do ponder ethical questions where others could care less a bout your love onese.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 09:40 am
1964: Berkeley students march to demand free speech.

2017: Berkeley students riot to demand free speech be denied.

2017: A tolerant liberal is as rare as a moderate muslim.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 10:33 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3q3mycVUAAr9ox.jpg:large
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 09:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
back east coal is a dead fuel and no amount of BS is going to revive it. Fracking is almost 50 times cheaper per BTU and we have "wet gas" and "dry gas" for either plastics or fuel.

Yes, but what happens if environmentalists outlaw fracking and force us to reduce nuclear power?

In that case the demand for coal will skyrocket.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 09:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Snopes is not what it used to be.
I trust the site on internet fraud, but there's no reason to believe that they don't have a political bias.

I've seen Snopes spout lies to cover up violations of the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 09:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Does any know how credible the Observer is? I found a very interesting read there today. It went into detail about how corrupt the Obama foundation is and many other people involved.

It depends on your view of the Trump family I guess.

"The New York Observer is a news website which focuses on the city's culture, real estate, media, politics and the entertainment and publishing industries. Its owner Jared Kushner is Donald Trump's son-in-law and a senior advisor to him."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Observer
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:18 am
The new Demmunist/de-moKKKer-Rat party, what will it look like??

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16427664_1557248204304449_6693663432244734532_n.jpg?oh=ad074c09d1596f535be8d5a8daab65d8&oe=5947B696
0 Replies