The new Democratic party. What will it look like?

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 06:37 am
A few progressive Dems trying to save the party from the inside.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/11/democratic-leaders-party-election?CMP=share_btn_fb

Still watching the fate of the current DNC...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 07:08 am
Bernie's plan for the Democrat party!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/opinion/bernie-sanders-where-the-democrats-go-from-here.html?_r=0&referer=https://t.co/xuMr0I4dbr

Where do we go from here?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 07:58 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Bernie's plan for the Democrat party!

It was nice hearing from Bernie. Thanks for sharing.

It's An Exciting Time To Be Alive and as Hillary would say, "Together We Can" this is what DEMS and REPS should try to do now.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 09:43 am
We are starting to see what the new RNC will look like.

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
Myron Ebell is the director of the Center for Energy and Environment at the Competitive Enterprise Institute. Sometimes called a climate "denier-in-chief," he has long had ties to the fossil fuel industry. Ebell has called for abolition of the EPA and wants to scrap the Paris climate treaty, a deal Trump has vowed to withdraw from.
LABOR DEPARTMENT
J. Steven Hart is a former Justice Department special assistant in charge of processing federal judicial nominations under President Ronald Reagan. He is the chairman of Williams & Jensen, a tax and business lobby group in Washington. His biography says he was named one of Washington's top lobbyists by Washingtonian magazine and The Hill newspaper.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 09:48 am
What a sick Christmas ad.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 09:56 am
Bernie's empire strikes back

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/bernie-sanders-empire-strikes-back-231259
Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 12:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

The revolution picks up steam. They intend for the party to be a hella more progressive.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 05:42 pm
It will be interesting to see. Conventional wisdom at this time is that Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren will become power players.

I would think the Clinton faction will be largely purged although members like Podesta have made a lot of relationships over the years and know a lot of secrets. I guess it depends on whether anyone thinks they can help them in their own careers.

Not quite sure how it works other than the ability to draw votes and money and to bestow favors have to be very important elements. To that end, it may be the major donors who decide who they are going to anoint.

Majority Leader of the Senate isn't a hugely powerful position but at the federal level it's the highest held by a Democrat and so Schummer will have a voice in where the party goes.

Democratic Governors of large states that went for Clinton, like Gerry Brown and Mario Cumo will probably flex their muscles, assuming neither is at then end of a State term limit for the job.

Terry McAuliffe may be tied too closely to the Clintons to have on going influence, although you can bet he will be maneuvering like hell. Virginia did go Blue, but, heck, he may in jail with in the next couple of years. He's a bigger crook than the Clintons, if that's possible.

Still, a lot of other people within the Party that are generally not well known by most of us are going to have to want it to lurch Left if that's to happen.

I hope it does because I think it will make it less likely that they regain many disaffected Democrats who voted Trump, but also because I would really like to see a contest between candidates who are clearly conservative and clearly progressive face off. I guess though we'll have to wait 8 years for that, unless Trump is such a disaster that he gets seriously challenged from the Right in 2020.

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 05:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I hope like hell that Nina Turner, Tulsi Gabbard, and maybe DeRay McKesson can get some spots.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 10:09 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I suspect there will be a lot of rethinking among Democrats in the months ahead. At the moment the Sanders/Warren wing of authoritarian progressives, dedicated to giving everyone free stuff that others pay for, is the dominant core left standing. However that may change as Democrats assess what has become of their former constituencies. How that may turn out I don't know. I don't think the Democrarts ould be wise to simply let the Progressives rule. The example of the now almost defunct British Labor party under the control of its unelectable extreme left wing and Jeremu Corbyn should dissuade them.

It is ironic that just weeks ago it was the Republican party that appeared headed for a breakup. A somewhat naive, but intransigent wing of House Republicans, vaguely associated with the former Tea Party wing, appeared to be willing to bring the House down (literally) in their frustration to get some action. The Democrats played them skillfully with a combination of Obama's Presidential vetoes and Harry Reid's refusal to bring anything from the House to a voite in the Senate. Now with a relatively moderate (in his social & economic policy views, President elect Trump, and the departure of Harry Reid (and the Democrat majority in the Senate) they may be pacified and find a productive synthesis in which they can move forward in a concerted way. A lot will depend on how skillfully (or poorly) Trump plays the entrenched Republican Barons in the Congress.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 08:44 pm
@mark noble,
The conservative democrats converted to republicans because of the black vote. Check your history. Notice that Hillary has a 2 million vote advantage over tRump at this time. Note the protests all over the U S over tRump's presidential [WIN]? I am willing to bet this will be remembered in 2018 and 2020. I know if I am still around I am doing my damnedest to remind the voters of this stolen election. I cant help but wonder if the republicans took a page out of tRumps book and performed some voter fraud themselves.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:07 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
I am doing my damnedest to remind the voters of this stolen election.

Me too. I have been sharing this theft from Bernie for quite some time. I wonder if it had anything to do with the general election results.
Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
Damn straight it did.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
Bernie is gone. Learn to live with it. When you voted for tRump you screwed over yourself and Bernie.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:20 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
When you voted for tRump you screwed over yourself and Bernie.

Have you ever wondered if you might have the same problems as the rest of us when it comes to preconceived notions? Idea
I did not vote for trump, I think he will be similar to Hitlary.
Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:29 pm
@RABEL222,
Actually, the establishment Dems are cannibalizing one another, and Bernie has emerged as the elder statesman, calling the shots on your dirty little corrupt cabal.

Try to keep up with reality.
revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 02:35 pm
One thing I noticed with the Clintons and their political allies is that all them were all sort of, well, old. So I really doubt any of them will be part of any "new" democrat party. Bernie is not a democrat so I am not sure he will be a leader in the democrat party, but I imagine he will be around and his voice will be heard. I read a good article today in the NYT and basically it said while the left has all the social issues down; we have been ignoring the economic issues and those who have been left behind such as those who live in states with factories shut down or states and in particular the county I live at it where we used to be coal country, everybody worked in coal in the mines back then and now they have been left high and dry and coal companies have for the most part stiffed the workers on their pensions and things which of course has been blamed on Obama and democrats. We need unions back, unions that work for the people not union leaders or whatever.

Pulling Democrats Back to ‘It’s the Economy, Stupid’

Quote:
Other Democrats are more explicit about their concerns with Mr. Sanders’s broadsides, especially on trade, which both Mr. Sanders and Mr. Trump used to great effect in the campaign. It is an issue that highlights regional differences between Democrats from states that have been hit hard by manufacturing plants’ being shut down and replaced overseas, and those from states that depend on a robust export market.

“I don’t think you can be anti-trade,” said Gov. John Hickenlooper of Colorado, who is mentioned as a possible 2020 presidential candidate. “In the modern world, we need consumers overseas for our products as well.”

The now-dormant Trans-Pacific Partnership, noted Senator Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, was backed by every agricultural commodity group in her state.

“We’ve got to have a market for our products,” said Ms. Heitkamp, who has implored her party to have a more robust rural agenda.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 04:01 pm
@revelette2,
Irrespective of his morality and ethics, Bill Clinton is deserving of the accolades he has received for being a very shrewd, very insightful, and very skilled politician.

When he first ran for and won the presidency he very accurately read the mood of the country.

A decent a man as Bush the Elder is and as incredibly high as his favorables were after the first Gulf War it was relatively easy to cast him as an out of touch old patrician who was not prepared to lead the US through the challenges that faced it and the world at the end of the 20th Century.

I would suggest that George H W Bush was the last viable 20th Century candidate and time caught up with him before the century even turned. Bob Dole was a dinosaur who somehow escaped the tar pits to get clobbered by the first of the 21st Century candidates, Slick Willy Clinton.

Bill Clinton created the mold with his appearances on popular late night TV, his saxophone solo in shades and the use of Fleetwood Mc instead of Kate Smith for his campaign theme. Neither Gore nor Kerry could come close to his charisma or his political acumen. He knew when he ran against Bush Sr. that while voters may have been looking for a more modern president, they weren't looking for a more radical one. His leading the Democrat Party towards the center and focusing his message on the economy won him the election (with a lot of help from nutty Ross Perot). His Sista Soldja moment was calculated and politically brilliant.

Most of us have now heard the reports that Bill continuously argued that Hillary was ignoring a key demographic --- working class whites and he was, of course, right. With 20/20 hindsight, plenty of Democrat strategists have all now put their finger on the flaw but at the time they all nodded, smiled and ignored Bill. Hillary may have been willing to use Bill to attract nostalgic Dems in their 50s and 60s, but she wasn't going to let him steer her campaign.

In the end Hillary proved herself to be a 20th Century dinosaur, despite all of the pretense of representing the modern 21st Century woman. The Dems should have taken lessons from Bob Dole's failure and Barrack Obama's success and never let her crawl out of the tar pits.
maporsche

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 04:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Regardless of her losing, there's a reason that it took until 2016 for one of the major parties to nominate the first presidential candidate and she deserves credit for breaking that barrier.

I can't even think of a female politician of either party who is on deck for 2020 (or 2024 for Republicans).
revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 04:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree, we have moved too far to the left. Not that I think we should ignore social issues but social issues are not as important as the struggling poor in rural states and inner cities as well.
0 Replies