Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sounds to technical argument for me to care about.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:06 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

If you want to use that definition, who is the authority you are protesting against? The American people?

Obviously...at least the ones who voted for Trump. Expression objection, or displeasure, is NOT the same as calling for the end of democracy.

I express my objection to you all the time, for example. It doesn't mean I want to take away your right to speak.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:08 pm
@maporsche,
True. I have no issue with your form of protest. It's healthy.

But you have to agree that not all of the protests were the same.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's perhaps American English? Headlines in the UK and other English speaking countries/English language publications used "protests"/"protesters" as well.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I remember that show in the 80s, life style if the rich and famous and they featured a young Trump. I was pretty young watching it but still had the impression he was smug and pompous. I think this is what rubs the sjw croud the wrong way. They cant help but get upset, theyve been taught thats how you get your way.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yes seriously.

Irrespective of the dictionary definition, common understanding of the word as used in our society is that a "protest" is directed against a perceived injustice, and not just an outcome with which you are not happy.

The dictionary changes based on the common understanding of words. That's why we get dictionary words like Grrrl or Chillax.

If you'd rather I use the synonym 'demonstration' then I'd be happy too. It makes no difference to what was actually happening on the streets.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:17 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
If you'd rather I use the synonym 'demonstration' then I'd be happy too. It makes no difference to what was actually happening on the streets.
Quote:
http://i64.tinypic.com/4rxok3.jpg
(Source:BBC screenshot) Wink
McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
German is a really messed up language man. Look how they used "protester" and "demonstrator" at the same time. You'd never see that in English. Besides, with it that dark out, who would see what they are demonstrating? I hope they weren't demonstrating how to use a new cooking knife set. That could be hazardous.
maporsche

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:38 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

True. I have no issue with your form of protest. It's healthy.

But you have to agree that not all of the protests were the same.

I do disagree though McG.

A handful of people doing something untoward in the middle of a protest involving thousands does not define an entire protest. It simply does not. This would be true during a protest involving the 2nd amendment or abortion just as it's true here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:45 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
German is a really messed up language man. Look how they used "protester" and "demonstrator" at the same time. You'd never see that in English.
It wasn't from a German BBC-website (there is none) but from that in the UK > http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/headlines/37934461

You really should teach the English to use proper English, McG:
Tens of thousands of post-election protesters plan further action across US
Quote:
Tens of thousands of Americans were planning further protests and acts of dissent against the election of Donald Trump on Thursday, after a wave of demonstrations across the US in which dozens were arrested.

Protesters were preparing to gather in major cities for a third night after crowds descended on Trump buildings in New York, Chicago and Washington into the early hours of Thursday to rail against the shock victory of the property tycoon following his bilious campaign.

But it's used in the USA as well:
Thousands across U.S., including in Detroit, protest Trump victory

Anti-Trump Protests Planned Across US After Election Results
Quote:
In addition to New York City, where people demonstrated against Trump on Wednesday, more protests are planned in cities in blue, red, and swing states.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 03:00 pm
@maporsche,
I sure hope you kept that in mind where there was "violence" at Trump rallies. Or did you just assume a few bad apples ruined that whole bunch?
maporsche

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 03:27 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

I sure hope you kept that in mind where there was "violence" at Trump rallies. Or did you just assume a few bad apples ruined that whole bunch?

I've never commented on Trump's rallies except for words that may have come out of Trump's mouth and how I thought it was wrong when I saw a dude punch a person on video.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 04:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I am sorry Walter. I was have a laugh at your literalness's expense. I realize that it wasn't German... I was also jesting about how complicated the English language is for foreign speakers in that we have so many words that can all be used for the same idea.
Builder

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 09:44 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
He is like the Character in Elia Kazans "A Face in the Crowd", a demagogue.
Will he show us anything beyond the campaign?? I hope so, but Im not betting the farm on it.

Elections are usually lost, rather than won.

Hillary's advisers told her that she would save billions on advertising with Trump as an opponent.

She was too complacent in the end, and too much like Madelaine Albright on foreign policy for real women to think she was anything other than a political animal.

My personal take on the results are; if you don't give people real choice, they'll make it clear that your "option" isn't an option at all.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 11:11 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I was also jesting about how complicated the English language is for foreign speakers in that we have so many words that can all be used for the same idea.
We have the very same words in German (and since I know Latin and French, I'm aware of the [original] meaning of those).
McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 11:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you for being you Walter...
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 08:57 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
I protested on the streets of Chicago last night.

Do not take this as an endorsement of Trump, but:

This is why we have the Electoral College. True Democracy has never worked anywhere, and it's not what the Constitution calls for. If we had it, you city folks would have had all us country folks drinking hemlock long ago.
Lash

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 09:06 am
@Builder,
There's a pretty good article banging around out there about how Clinton and the DNC could lose to Trump in addition to the narrative about the progressive exit.

The Dems made their name as the party of the working man and woman: the party that stood up for average citizens. The Dems have definitely lost that identity. Of course, how Donald J Trump picked up that mantle is a bit bewildering. He shits in a golden toilet for crissakes.

Again, for me, Trump is a big loud rude middle finger from middle America to the establishment.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 09:11 am
@Leadfoot,
There's no reason on earth why you can't move to the popular vote. Your system is archaic. You sound like the people who were opposed to the 1832 Reform Act.

I know you don't have a lot of history and are reluctant to meddle with what little you have, but don't kid yourself that the alternative to your system is chaos, it's not.

As for drinking hemlock, the vast majority of democracies in the 21st Century do not practice capital punishment. You don't have to look to ancient Greece for comparison.
giujohn

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 09:32 am
@izzythepush,
How ill-informed you are. In a true democracy all you need is a majority even a plurality in order to push through any agenda. If we had a true democracy given how easily the sheeple are led in this country we would probably still have slavery. We are a nation of 50 sovereign states United under one flag. A true democracy can work within each state because elections, their outcome and effect are closer to the people. But when it comes to the national level in a true democracy the smaller States would never have a say. The system works just fine and has been for 240 years and we don't need for any foreign interests telling us how to run this country.