Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 07:45 am
I recall that when Obama was elected that I should just deal with that and accept that he was now President. I hope that the people that told me this are accepting of the new Republican leadership in the Executive, Legislative and soon to be Judicial branches of our government.

It will be interesting to say the least. Never before has a non-politician risen to hold such a high office. I honestly think that is a major reason he won. People in America do not take kindly to strangers telling them how to live their lives and that backlash has brought the chickens home to roost. America wants change they can actually believe in.

Trumps lack of any sort of office position will limit expectations on how his Presidency may go. It's a shot in the dark. Will he keep his promises unlike Obama? Will the plan for his first 100 days that he laid out at Gettysburg be a true roadmap? I really hope so. They were a great 100 days.

When does the 2020 election start? Tomorrow?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 29 • Views: 47,734 • Replies: 1,043

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 07:48 am
....well, the Euro will go up and the dollar down now. Enjoy your voting !
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:08 am
@McGentrix,
the best outcome i see is a smashing of the Clinton/Bush era

4 years from now we should see all new fresh faces

Christie and Cruz are not electable, Rubio might be able to come back for a second try, but for the most part i see fresh blood and that is great
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:28 am
@McGentrix,
Im hoping that the loyal opposition does not sink to the level that the GOP did when Obama waw elected.
However, memory's an elephant.

Im actuqlly excited to see a pltform issue that both candidates presented, that being IFRASTRUCTURE RENEWAL and initiation

1We have the world's WORST internet at the world's highest cost

2.Sewage systems are still playing with 19th century technology when weve multiplied our population almost 10 fold along the Eastern waterways

3. Highspeed rail should tke a major front set in

4. Bridges and roads need major overhauls that hadnt occured since the Eisenhower Years when they were first built.

5Water systems are using ancient technology and equipment.

6Sea water desal for the desert southwest and west needs a 2017 invvestment with newest tech that is 90% cheaper and delivers 3 orders of magnitude more water.

I hope the new president drops his
"There is no climate change" bullshit, .There may still be some evidence needed on the effects that we as a species are having on the climate change, but climate change IS OCCURING at a rate that will need addressing

Is Trump an interegnum? or a new horizon?
Obviously, if I hadda listen to pundits, id see that I coulda gotten the same results of this election by coin flipping. Noone had the real answer. The path to Trumps victory began as a plan by a man that I was certain was carrying ADD. Now Im not so sure , but who knows.

He;ll have to do as my president until something better comes along, or unless he shows us some real skills in governing that are not just a bunch of one liners cobbled in a phrase and modified by staffworkers on damage control.

Im not happy but hey, its how the electoral college works.

giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:34 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Bullshit... what about all those people who claimed Doom and Gloom over brexit?
giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:36 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

the best outcome i see is a smashing of the Clinton/Bush era

4 years from now we should see all new fresh faces

Christie and Cruz are not electable, Rubio might be able to come back for a second try, but for the most part i see fresh blood and that is great

Cruz unelectable? I guess you're not really understanding the lesson of this recent election.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:39 am
Hope he handles the infrastructure issues - he spoke passionately about people he met in Flint, and about doing something about it.

At this point, I don't have a lot of faith in him to follow up on promises, but at least he's an unproven liar rather than proven...

I hope he takes the gun away from our heads on Obamacare.

I hope he gets us out of many of these unnecessary wars.

Beyond that, I hope he has a minder to keep him away from shiny buttons.

(PS....Melania Trump as First Lady?)
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:40 am
@farmerman,
Climate change? Of course there's climate change there always has been and always will be... But we have more important things to worry about, things where we can actually affect change... And the climate is not one of them.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:43 am
CNN just reported that there have already been protests and some fires set in Oakland.

So, is it the Hillary supporters that we need to worry about after all?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:46 am
Just watch'n.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 08:52 am
@mysteryman,
Funny... I don't recall any fires being set after Obama was elected. I guess it must be a bleeding heart liberal leftist kind of thing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:08 am
@giujohn,
Thank you Einstein. You stick to opinions on donuts , if theres any donut problems , I will certainly call you.

Your opinion is representative of a long staanding GOP "WAr on SCIENCE".

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:10 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
that there have already been protests and some fires set in Oakland.
there were many examples of voter surpression followed by race riots after Obama was elected.

Try not to be too full of '
"Our side is like the driven snow"
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:26 am
@farmerman,
Science my Italian ass. And your pathetic attempt referring to me, a former 20-year police veteran, as just a donut eater only emphasizes and illustrates your divisive and tolerant liberal bent. And I forgive you because your ass must be really smarting and at this point having to swallow Trump as president LOL.
Lash

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:26 am
Trump had few campaign offices in states he won, even in traditionally Democrat-leaning states --that he won. He had few key staffers during this election season. He had no verbal filter. He insulted. He belittled. He revealed a level of ignorance on policy and basic geopolitical knowledge that made us gasp.

He went up against the most formidable political machine in modern history -- and beat them.

There is a very important lesson in this cataclysmic tectonic shift in American -- and global -- politics.

Brexit is related. Bernie's incredible success is related. The majority of the American public is sick of lifetime politicians who make decisions about our lives for personal profit. We are being ruled from afar. This is a referendum against DC corruption - and it helped to press the point that the poster girl for corruption was on the ticket.

I hope people won't make the mistake of hanging these events on xenophobia or racism, and moving on because it feeds their narratives.

I think Obamacare and the rising enforced payments and the tax penalty for not paying an enforced payment was the last nail in the Clinton coffin.

Wikileaks enabled us to read the corruption of the DNC line for line. The worst imaginings of the public about the Clintons and crony politics are writ large across the internet.

I'm so damn glad to hear CNN finally say that Bernie or Biden should have been allowed by the DNC hierarchy to run. They're saying Hillary was a horrible candidate. Duh.

This is a revolution. No doubt. We all know they don't always turn out as we hoped. Grab your ass and hang on. Good luck, America.

This will be an fascinating time.

maporsche

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:37 am
What choice is there but to accept the outcome?

I'm really, extremely, disappointed, but I couldn't be more curious to find out what actual ideas republicans have to 'Make America Great Again'. God knows we didn't hear any actual plans during the campaign (are there any?).

Republicans have a puppet president and majorities in congress and soon the Supreme Court...I guess we'll see what they do with it.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:38 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Science my Italian ass. And your pathetic attempt referring to me, a former 20-year police veteran, as just a donut eater only emphasizes and illustrates your divisive and tolerant liberal bent. And I forgive you because your ass must be really smarting and at this point having to swallow Trump as president LOL.

But donuts ARE good right? I love the maple glazed ones.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:52 am
@Lash,
Quote:
He went up against the most formidable political machine in modern history -- and beat them

Truly you jest.The "formidable Clinton campaign macxhine'didnt listen to a couple of local Pa college professors who stated that Hillary's people did not recognize that, with states like Pa and NC and Ohio, A HUUUGE "camo cap red state" population exits outside the traditional "Blue zones" (Pa has ofetn been described as the cities of Pittsburgh nd Philly, separated by ALABAMA)
She didnt take care of that, while the Trump NE administrators did. I think the delivery of Pa and Ohio is a testimony to those two guys.

Politics isnt like going to the moon. Simplest things work

1..Clinton fucked up on her own devices for trying to hide what was (really) a totl screw up in how the campaign IT kiddies, set up their networks (turns out Hillary could only hndle an old version blackberry and was unable to work a PC).
Had she admitted early that she was a total boobnick, it would more or less hve blown over (even any mentions of Benghazi because the messages were just dually listed in her address book on the blackberry)

She didnt want to appear like a total moron so she , instead, did a cover up of incompetence (DUMB MOVE-because it looked like Machiavellian intent instead)

2. Making this election as a "TERM 3" of Obama world hurt her (no matter how great his ratings re -and will probably grow bigger with time), she firmly planted her role as the Washington insider (in presidential elections its a bad position to be in except when a president is running for a second term. Its hard to make great speeches about CHANGE, when your what the speech is about

3. Trump, by his style, lured her into saying the same things as he. She became a "me too" platform. People hate "Me too"
They wanted originality. All her original thoughts were covered in too much double speak and people dont like that also. Trump was a consumate salesman. He knew that he was selling something to the lowest IQ in the room, not the PhD;s. He also chose his words like he was talking to the boys.

Although, how he got away with his clarly woman hating rants was a mystery to me. (Ill be reading up on where his crowd psych was learnt.

He is like the Character in Elia Kazans "A Face in the Crowd", a demagogue.
Will he show us anything beyond the campaign?? I hope so, but Im not betting the farm on it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:54 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I recall that when Obama was elected that I should just deal with that and accept that he was now President.

Bit late in the day for that. And now you're saying people should do what you say, not what you do. Has that ever worked?
Lash

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:57 am
@farmerman,
The fact that they made a lot of mistakes doesn't change the fact that her strong alliance within political circles, media, Wall Street, and heads of state around the world has created what was the most powerful political machine since Boss Tweed.

But, yeah. She sucked at politics. She basically rode her husband's coattails as far as they'd take her.

I look forward to the first female president now -- hoping she gets there on her own gas.

Edit-- I definitely see the similarity between Trump and the Andy Griffith character. I hope he can stall his meltdown for four years.