izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 02:33 pm
@McGentrix,
You wouldn't, it's a bit above your pay grade, which is why you resort to crude xenophobic slurs.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 02:38 pm
@Baldimo,
You're not very good at remembering things.

Quote:
A University of Maryland study on American public opinion found that:
Fifty-seven percent of mainstream media viewers believed that Iraq gave substantial support to Al-Qaeda, or was directly involved in the September 11 attacks (48% after invasion).
Sixty-nine percent believed that Saddam Hussein was personally involved in the September 11 attacks.
Twenty-two percent believed that weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq. (Twenty-one percent believed that chem/bio weapons had actually been used against U.S. soldiers in Iraq during 2003)
In the composite analysis of the PIPA study, 80% of Fox News watchers had one or more of these perceptions, in contrast to 71% for CBS and 27% who tuned to NPR/PBS.[20]

In an investigation of the news coverage of Colin Powell's 2003 U.N. address, rhetorical scholar John Oddo found that mainstream journalists "strengthened Powell’s credibility, predisposed audiences to respond favorably to his discourse, and subtly altered his claims to make them seem more certain and warranted."[21] In 2003, a study released by Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting stated the network news disproportionately focused on pro-war sources and left out many anti-war sources. According to the study, 64% of total sources were in favor of the Iraq War while total anti-war sources made up 10% of the media (only 3% of US sources were anti-war). The study stated that "viewers were more than six times as likely to see a pro-war source as one who was anti-war; with U.S. guests alone, the ratio increases to 25 to 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_coverage_of_the_Iraq_War

Next time try doing a bit of research before you start spouting your usual nonsense.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 02:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Just reminding that there has been a "Germany" since 1871 ... when Germany became unified.

Seriously, you can't be at all surprised that Baldy didn't know that.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 03:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You being German, know your history better then I do, until 1990, there were 2 Germany's. As I'm Izzy points out, I'm ignorant of things outside my own country Rolling Eyes .
giujohn

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 08:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
That's a good idea.
So the world would have to rely just on twitter tweets to get informed by US-government?

Wouldn't it be better to establish an equivalent to the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda and establish a control and coordination over all aspects of communication and media?

Your snide Nazi flavored comment aside...What's the problem with Trump posting to the Internet and letting the MSN do with it as they will? There's no need to have a daily INTERACTIVE press briefing where the reporters (and I use that term loosely) preen, pontificate, posture,and bloviate for the camera, trying to make news(instead of reporting the news)by coloring the President in a bad light and becoming the story.

Until they act impartially, I say **** em! No questions allowed! They can submit their questions in an email and wait for a response if it is deemed worthy of one.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 10:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Me too!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 10:56 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
You being German, know your history better then I do, until 1990, there were 2 Germany's.
Between 1945 and 1949 there where four allied occupied zones which finally became the in 1949 the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic. These were re-unified in 1990.

The unification of Germany was in 1871. (Between 1806 and 1871 there was nothing like "Germany". And before 1803/1806 was "Holy Roman Empire of German Nation" with dozens [at certain periods hundreds] of independent countries.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:13 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
No questions allowed! They can submit their questions in an email and wait for a response if it is deemed worthy of one.
President Donald Trump’s press secretary, Sean Spicer said that over 45 million people follow him on social media; that he can have a direct conversation, he doesn’t have to have it funneled through the media.

Fine. 90 percent who don't rely on those forms of communication are irrelevant.
But wait .... they can get the tweets via the media.
Problem solved.
layman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You should just be happy that there is a Germany, Walt, and not be talkin about **** that happened in the 1800's.

After Hitler, you're lucky the country wasn't completely nuked, and then later re-settled and re-seeded by Russians and Americans. The whole German language is lucky to still exist.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:59 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
After Hitler, you're lucky the country wasn't completely nuked, ...
Germany wasn't partially nuked.

layman wrote:
The whole German language is lucky to still exist.
Well, some are trying hard to get rid of it. But since it's the official language in six countries, spoken by roughly 100 million native speakers - who knows?
layman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 01:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Germany wasn't partially nuked.

One word, Walt: Dresden.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 02:34 am
@layman,
Well, that's new. I'd always thought, it was a British/American aerial bombing attack .(Some 800 British bombers had dropped more than 1,400 tons of high-explosive bombs and more than 1,100 tons of incendiaries on Dresden, the bombers of the U.S. Eighth Air Force dropped more than 950 tons of high-explosive bombs and more than 290 tons of incendiaries on Dresden. Later, the Eighth Air Force would drop 2,800 more tons of bombs on Dresden in three other attacks before the war’s end.)

My great-grandmother, grandmother, aunt, her newly born baby and my niece's nurse died one year earlier during one of the bomb raids on my father's hometown when my grandparent's home was bombed- but no nukes there either.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 03:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
By that logic, if Dresden was half nuked then so was Washington, in 1814, when the Whitehouse went up in flames.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 07:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, that's new. I'd always thought, it was a British/American aerial bombing attack .(Some 800 British bombers had dropped more than 1,400 tons of high-explosive bombs and more than 1,100 tons of incendiaries on Dresden, the bombers of the U.S. Eighth Air Force dropped more than 950 tons of high-explosive bombs and more than 290 tons of incendiaries on Dresden. Later, the Eighth Air Force would drop 2,800 more tons of bombs on Dresden in three other attacks before the war’s end.)

My great-grandmother, grandmother, aunt, her newly born baby and my niece's nurse died one year earlier during one of the bomb raids on my father's hometown when my grandparent's home was bombed- but no nukes there either.

War sucks and we shouldn't even talk about it in such sarcastic terms as Layman is.

I do believe he is using "nuked" as a metaphor as the Urban Dictionary might describe

Quote:
nuked
What happens to something (or someone) that gets so utterly destroyed or blown up that, no matter what, cannot possibly be in any worse condition.

in other words, completely dicintigrated from existence.
player 1: dude, I used the shoop da whoop gun on it, and it disappeared.
player 2: u completely nuked it, dude.

I know that you have problems with metaphors and take most things literally. That's why I am sharing that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:37 am
@McGentrix,
My bad. I didn't learn English with the Urban Dictionary. (And I doubt, anyone knew about it here 60 years ago)
layman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well (lucky for you) we didn't even have nukes at the time, either, at least not ready to go. You can't riff off a word that aint even come around yet.

Of course quaint phrases like "fat man," and "little boy" had been around for a spell, so...
layman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:52 am
@layman,
Some historians like to speculate that we wouldn't have used nukes on Germans. Because we're racist, of course, and would never use such a terrible weapon on "our own."

I don't think Blood and Guts Patton would buy that, though.
giujohn

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

giujohn wrote:
No questions allowed! They can submit their questions in an email and wait for a response if it is deemed worthy of one.
President Donald Trump’s press secretary, Sean Spicer said that over 45 million people follow him on social media; that he can have a direct conversation, he doesn’t have to have it funneled through the media.

Fine. 90 percent who don't rely on those forms of communication are irrelevant.
But wait .... they can get the tweets via the media.
Problem solved.

Sounds like a plan...Good enough then. We are in agreement.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:59 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Well (lucky for you) we didn't even have nukes at the time, either, at least not ready to go.
I wasn't born then.
And I do think that my family (none of them a Nazi) did pay for what the Nazis did.

Additionally, my father was mock executed after being taken POW om March 30, 1945 - being a surgeon-lieutenant, Geneva Convention ...
layman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:59 am
@giujohn,
Trump will soon have fleets of cars in every city, town, and village in the country with bullhorns attached to the roof. He will get his message out.

I can kinda hear it now...something like.

"Cheese-eaters, don't be stupid! Extend your miserable lives for a while. Surrender now!"