farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:57 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I think Obamacare and the rising enforced payments and the tax penalty for not paying an enforced payment was the last nail in the Clinton coffin
Actually, the ACA, if repealed, will have our health system go right back to the Insurance Industry . Everyone recognizes that the rising cost of health care is independent of the ACA or not.

I would hve rather seen ACA get modified into a single payer, (something GOP would NEVER back). The GOP will, if ACA is repealed, leave us with a big hole of NO CARE for tens od millions and nothing to replace it. (Trump has spoken in bumper stickers about busting ACA but no mentioning of anything to replace it)
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:03 am
@giujohn,
Brexit hasn't happened. We still don't know what the outcome will be or what sort of Brexit we'll get. We do know that sterling has plummeted and that the new chancellor has to deal with a £25billion shortfall. And that's just fear of Brexit.

Quote:
In a football match, it is not usual to start 3-0 down.

But, in economic terms, that is effectively where the government is as it approaches the Autumn Statement at the end of the month.

The previous Chancellor, George Osborne, set the government three rules it would adhere to, an attempt to show a sceptical public that it was bearing down on the country's deficit (the amount a country spends on public services versus the amount a country earns via tax receipts) and being tough on the accumulation of debt (the overall amount a government owes).

All three have been broken or abandoned - the cap on welfare spending, the pledge to reduce debt as a proportion of national income and the promise to balance the books (so ending the deficit) by 2020.

The last target was dumped after the result of the referendum brought forward a raft of economic downgrades for the UK economy which - if they come to pass - will lead to a reduction in government income and make eliminating the deficit even more problematic without further tax rises and public sector cuts.

That is the unhelpfully cut-up pitch on which the present Chancellor, Philip Hammond, is playing ahead of his first major economic outing, the Autumn Statement in two weeks' time.

Today's report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies reveals the difficulties ahead.

It suggests that given the slowdown predicted in the economy the chancellor will be dealing with a public finances outlook £25bn worse than predicted in the Budget last March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37904668

Farmerman gave you some good advice. Stick to talking about doughnuts.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:03 am
@farmerman,
Trumps plan is based on repeal and replace ACA. He wants HSA's for everyone and cross state line insurance agencies.

...One Blue Cross to rule them all and in the darkness bind them...

The ACA already has it's hands so far up the insurance companies ass that it looks at their tonsils. I completely agree with the single payer idea. Maybe Trump will see the wisdom of that, maybe not. But, Obamacare is done as we know it now.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:04 am
@izzythepush,
Here's some advice don't bother commenting on American politics because you got it all wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:06 am
@giujohn,
How would you know? You made a lucky guess, that's all. You talk about Brexit like it's a done deal, only someone completely ignorant of World events could make such a grave error.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
I gave Obama 2 years to impress me and he failed to do so. Lets hope that those on the left do the same thing for Trump. Give him some time to get started and if it turns out to be the **** show they thought it would be, then feel free to bitch and complain and then plan on taking either the House or Congress in 2018. It's a pattern that has started to developed here in the US.

Dems will control one of the houses of Congress by 2018 and even the entire Congress by 2020. Will Trump win in 2020? I have no fricking clue.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:10 am
@giujohn,
Please do not take my thread into the gutter. You too Farmerman. You both have interesting things to say without trying to snipe others.
giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:11 am
@izzythepush,
It wasn't a lucky guess I was going by that Chinese psychic monkey who predicted the election by hugging the cardboard cutout of trump... LOL LOL hahahahaha
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:15 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Please do not take my thread into the gutter. You too Farmerman. You both have interesting things to say without trying to snipe others.

Well the problem with that is I'm not the one that went to the gutter first... There are people in this forum that are allowed to break the rules with impunity and he seems to be one of them... I'm just defending myself as best I can.
Having said that I will respect your wishes and refrain from responding to his divisive nature.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:16 am
@giujohn,
I know, but I have some users ignored and do not see their posts... You should do that as well, it really is what the feature was intended for.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:36 am
I think a man from China just wished that we'd live in interesting times.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:37 am
Yeah, let's live with it. Trump wasn't my man, but I liked Hillary even less. I see Trump as a Conservative and bendable. That border wall with Mexico will probably not be realized. Them Mexicans will start learning to swim and start coming out on the shores of California and Texas. Stock markets are always plagued with bad advices, and a Trump presidency is just another boogaboo scare tactic used by the opponents.
Angelgz2

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:58 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
So, is it the Hillary supporters that we need to worry about after all?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-protest-trump-20161109-story.html

Certainly. Those liberal youngsters have no concept of respect, and obviously don't understand democracy. The majority has spoken and they can't live with it so choose violence. Students from UCs seemed to be the majority. That's why I say those kids shouldn't vote at all, until there is evidence that they are mature enough to make responsible choices.

Yet, no one is arrested for this unregistered, somewhat violent protest with evidence of vandalism and theft. It's funny you can yell "Not my president" to a white guy and you are okay, but if you yell "not my president" to black Obama then you are a racist or have committed hate crime.

This is the world we live in.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 10:59 am
@seac,
I'm hoping we can be vigilant - watch what he does and speak powerfully during midterms if we are displeased.

The American public has been lax with voting forever. I think this turn of events may wake some people up.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 11:41 am
@McGentrix,
I understand and I respect your views. There are two things I don't do here at a2k... I don't play the thumbs down game and I don't ignore anyone.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 01:58 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The fact that they made a lot of mistakes doesn't change the fact that her strong alliance within political circles, media, Wall Street, and heads of state around the world has created what was the most powerful political machine since Boss Tweed.

But, yeah. She sucked at politics. She basically rode her husband's coattails as far as they'd take her.

I look forward to the first female president now -- hoping she gets there on her own gas.

Edit-- I definitely see the similarity between Trump and the Andy Griffith character. I hope he can stall his meltdown for four years.

Let's not forget, Trump has proven one great point already. You dont need to suck the public and corporations dry on capaign donations to win. He practically spent nothing and got blasted constantly for how much he didnt spend as if thats in some way a bad thing.

So all those corporations that dumped millions into Hillarys pockets got screwed. The only person who made money on that front were the producers of her ads.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 04:42 pm
@McGentrix,
Mein furher, I can walk!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 04:50 pm
@McGentrix,
I wouldn't count on much gracious acceptance of the results by Democrats. They are already flooding social media with "Remind everyone that Hillary won the popular vote!"

But I would also not count on too much humble reserve from Republican legislators. They may have the blank check the Dems had when Obama was elected. We'll see if Trump gives them free reign the way Obama did with their friends across the aisle. I don't think it's as sure a thing as it was with Obama.

Just as the world didn't end when Obama was elected and re-elected, it won't end because Trump has won.

I do think though that he will at least try harder than any recent president to make good on his campaign promises. He may not be able to achieve them, but it won't be the typical "I know I promised this stuff during the campaign, but now that I've won...." bullshit we've all become used to. He's not a career politician and so all of the typical dodges and lies pulled by career politicians are not second nature to him. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's quite proud he's not a career politician and will be actively trying not to act like one. This doesn't mean that the way he acts will be wonderful, but at least it won't be depressingly predictable.

He's a crazy SOB but he will be an interesting one.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 11:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The protests and crying is crazy. It's just like everything else that has happened to Trump this campaign...

Trump had to agree to back who ever gets the nomination so as to not split the vote and allow the Dem to win. He did that. When he got the nomination, he was abandoned by all those that made him agree to back the nominee. Disgraceful.

Trump was asked if he would accept the election result and he said he'd see. That it would depend on what the results were and such. All the leftists had a **** fit about that and now look at them. In the streets protesting and complaining about the results of the election. Disgraceful.

At least Hillary Clinton had the class to give her speech. I bet the hotel room she was in was a wreck though.
roger

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 11:06 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Trump was asked if he would accept the election result and he said he'd see. That it would depend on what the results were and such.

Well, he won, so I guess he will accept the results. Mighty open minded of him, ya ask me.