Baldimo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:55 am
@giujohn,
Don't forget that Laura Bush also wasn't Sec of State.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 11:02 am
@giujohn,
Ther are figures online of spech pyments. You pay w and basically you get a few golf anecdotes and a chance for a selfie witth a b list ex-pres.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 04:45 pm
So much for Breitbart shilling for Trump.

They published a pretty straightforward account of DeVoss, her family's wealth and contributions to the Clinton Foundation, a implied snort in the direction of draining swamps...

Interesting to see if Trump will continue to renege on campaign promises and what fallout may result. I wonder how cool Bannon and Trump are right now.

I also wonder how Trump voters feel about watching the dominoes fall against them.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/23/trump-announces-gop-mega-donor-betsy-devos-education-secretary/amp/?client=safari
layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 05:32 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Interesting to see if Trump will continue to renege on campaign promises...

Like what? (Not) Prosecuting Clinton? He's just playin her, in the hope that Obama won't feel the need to pardon her for offenses she "didn't commit." Trump certainly won't interfere with the DOJ's decision to prosecute her and Billy for Foundation fraud.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 06:14 pm
@layman,
I'm not so sure about that. There is a certain inconsistency in Trump's pronouncments, and he seems to shoot from the hip fairly frequently.

I believe it would have been much wiser in the instance of Hillary's issues for Trump to remain silent and allow the investigation and legal process come to some preliminary conclusion, without political interference. This woud give the public some closure o9n the matter.

Obama may well issue a pardon before his term expires but Trump by his intemperaqte words, may have lifted that burden off his shoulders. In the event that the process called for some prossecution of Hillary Trump could always pardon her then.
layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 06:18 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. There is a certain inconsistency in Trump's pronouncments, and he seems to shoot from the hip fairly frequently.

Well, yeah, sure, but still.....
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 06:49 pm
@georgeob1,
According to the NYT:

"It had all the trappings of a high-level rapprochement: President-elect Donald J. Trump, now the nation’s press critic in chief, inviting the leading anchors and executives of television news to join him on Monday for a private meeting of minds.

On-air stars like Lester Holt, Charlie Rose, George Stephanopoulos and Wolf Blitzer headed to Trump Tower for the off-the-record gathering, typically the kind of event where journalists and politicians clear the air after a hard-fought campaign.

It is not unusual for journalists to agree to off-the-record sessions with prominent politicians, including President Obama, as a way to gain insights and develop relationships.

[editorial comment: The chumps, them]

Instead, the president-elect delivered a defiant message...Mr. Trump, whose antagonism toward the news media was unusual even for a modern presidential candidate, described the television networks as dishonest in their reporting... He criticized some in the room by name, including CNN’s president, Jeffrey A. Zucker, according to multiple people briefed on the meeting who were granted anonymity to describe confidential discussions... it seemed the meeting was being used as a political prop."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/business/media/trump-summons-tv-figures-for-private-meeting-and-lets-them-have-it.html?_r=0

Played like a fiddle, eh?

roger

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 09:37 pm
@layman,
I would be surprised if persons could be pardoned for anything they hadn't been convicted.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:00 pm
@roger,
Presidents can indeed can indee pardon people in advance of any conviction or even proffering of charges.
roger

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 02:16 am
@georgeob1,
Wow! License to kill.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 08:18 am
@Lash,
She has donated to Clinton, I looked it up before commenting.

I don't know if I would necessarily call her a mega donor considering how much the foundation is worth, but she did donate between $10,000-$25,000 to the Clinton Foundation. The foundation has accepted money from other sources I am sure they have disagreements on. I know the Clintons are not for privatized education. However, Devos is heavily into corporate companies and privatized schools making a profit. So it is not such a surprise he nominated her. I doubt Clinton would have, the donation of the above amount notwithstanding.

Betsy DeVos, Trump’s education pick, is a billionaire with deep ties to the Christian Reformed community

Here Are The Corporations And Right-Wing Funders Backing The Education Reform Movement
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 08:22 am
CNN Highlights The "Unprecedented Opportunity For Pay To Play" In A Trump Administration

Quote:
JIM SCIUTTO (GUEST HOST): As president-elect Donald Trump tries to build his inner circle, he's making little to no effort to separate himself from his old circles, that is, his business ties, and the questionable lines of conflict of interest seem to be growing by the day. I want to bring in CNN's Christina Alesci. So Cristina, Trump does not seem to be just toeing the line of conflicts of interest as he defined them during the campaign himself, he seems to be setting himself up for crossing these lines wholesale as president.

CRISTINA ALESCI: Yeah, Donald Trump doesn't seem to be fretting too much over this topic, and you know, Jim, that's probably because there are very few laws that actually bar him from running his business even after he takes office. There is one exception, and it has to do with ties to foreign business people, and by extension their home countries. Now, over the last week, several incidents are now under the microscope.

There is a lot more to the Trump Argentina story

Foreign press reports—available only in Spanish—reveal a tangled web of family, business, and power.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 01:00 pm
@layman,
I think we may be in agreement here. Trump's meeting with the self-appointed masters of the media universe, who apparently presumed they would there have the opportunity to school the unruly Donald in the appropriate way of dealing withg their esteemed selves, was probably a master stroke.

Instead of meeting those expectations it appears he confronted them with their lies, slanted and selective reporting of events and evident political opposition to his candidacy. The observable fact that he had won the primary and election contests in major partl through bypassing the media by means of extensive personal appearances; the use of social media; and sometimes outrageous and attention grabbing statements, itself constituted an implicit threat to the power and privilege of the assembled luminaries, each as conscious of their personal prominence and position as the Donald they so despise.

It was brilliant. He needs to balance these actions with outreach to others who opposed him, but it appears that, so far, he is doing that as well.
layman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 01:13 pm
@georgeob1,
This is not particularly relevant to your well-articulated insight, but I found it interesting: The NYT says

Quote:
He criticized some in the room by name, including CNN’s president, Jeffrey A. Zucker, according to multiple people briefed on the meeting who were granted anonymity to describe confidential discussions..."

Ya see how the 'integrity" of the press works?

1. They agree to talk "off the record."
2. One (or more) of them displays their utter bad faith and breaches that agreement, and thereafter,
3. The press then exploits that bad faith by "granting anonymity" to them and citing them as sources.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 01:21 pm
@layman,
I agree, and I suspect others see it as well. That too was a briliant element of the event. It was truly delicious.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 08:35 am
Republicans Divided Between Romney and Giuliani for Secretary of State

If the choice is between those two, I would hope it is Romney, but going by lately, doubt it will be.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 08:54 am
How long before the white working class realizes Trump was just scamming them?

While we’re still analyzing the election results and debating the importance of different factors to the final outcome, everyone agrees that white working class voters played a key part in Donald Trump’s victory, in some cases by switching their votes and in some cases by turning out when they had been nonvoters before.
And now that he’s about to take office, he’s ready to deliver on what he promised them, right? Well, maybe not so much:

"President-elect Donald Trump abruptly abandoned some of his most tendentious campaign promises Tuesday, saying he does not plan to prosecute Hillary Clinton for her use of a private email system or the dealings of her family foundation, has an “open mind” about a climate-change accord from which he vowed to withdraw the United States and is no longer certain that torturing terrorism suspects is a good idea."

The billionaire real estate developer also dismissed any need to disentangle himself from his financial holdings, despite rising questions about how his global business dealings might affect his decision-making as the nation’s chief executive.

And it’s not just that; at the same time, the Trump administration and congressional Republicans are getting ready to move on their highest priorities, cutting taxes for the wealthy, scrapping oversight on Wall Street, and lightening regulations on big corporations.

Imagine you’re one of those folks who went to Trump rallies and thrilled to his promises to take America back from the establishment, who felt your heart stir as he promised to torture prisoners, who got your “Trump That B***h” T-shirt, who was overjoyed to finally have a candidate who tells it like it is. What are you thinking as you watch this?

If you have any sense, you’re coming to the realization that it was all a scam. You got played. While you were chanting “Lock her up!” he was laughing at you for being so gullible. While you were dreaming about how you’d have an advocate in the Oval Office, he was dreaming about how he could use it to make himself richer. He hasn’t even taken office yet and everything he told you is already being revealed as a lie.

During the campaign, Trump made two kinds of promises to those white working class voters. One was very practical, focused on economics. In coal country, he said he’d bring back all the coal jobs that have been lost to cheap natural gas (even as he promotes more fracking of natural gas; figure that one out). In the industrial Midwest, he said he’d bring back all the labor-intensive factory jobs that were mostly lost to automation, not trade deals. These promises were utterly ludicrous, but most of the target voters seemed not to care.

The second kind of promise was emotional and expressive. It was about turning back the clock to a time when immigrants hadn’t come to your town, when women weren’t so uppity, when you could say whatever you wanted and you didn’t feel like the culture and the economy were leaving you behind. So Trump said he’d toss Hillary Clinton in jail, force everyone to say “Merry Christmas” again, and sue those dastardly liberal news organizations into submission.

And of course, there were promises — like building a wall on the southern border and making Mexico pay for it just so they know who’s boss — that claimed to serve a practical purpose but also had an important expressive purpose. And now one by one Trump is casting them all off.

So what are we left with? What remains is Trump’s erratic whims, his boundless greed, and the core of Republican policies Congress will pursue, which are most definitely not geared toward the interests of working class whites. He can gut environmental regulations, but that doesn’t mean millions of people are going to head back to the coal mines — it was market forces more than anything else that led to coal’s decline. He can renegotiate trade deals, but that doesn’t mean that the labor-intensive factory jobs are coming back. And by the way, the high wages, good benefits, and job security those jobs used to offer? That was thanks to labor unions, which Republicans are now going to try to destroy once and for all.

Had Hillary Clinton won the election, the white working class might have gotten some tangible benefits — a higher minimum wage, overtime pay, paid family and medical leave, more secure health insurance, and so on. Trump and the Republicans oppose all that. So what did the white working class actually get? They got the election itself. They got to give a big middle finger to the establishment, to the coastal elites, to immigrants, to feminists, to college students, to popular culture, to political correctness, to every person and impersonal force they see arrayed against them. And that was it.

So what happens in two years when there’s a congressional election and two years after that when Trump runs for a second term? Those voters may look around and say, Hey wait a minute. That paradise of infinite winning Trump promised? It didn’t happen. My community still faces the same problems it did before. There’s no new factory in town with thousands of jobs paying great salaries. Everybody doesn’t have great health insurance with no cost-sharing for incredibly low premiums. I still hear people speaking Spanish from time to time. Women and minorities are still demanding that I treat them with respect. Music and movies and TV still make me feel like I’m being left behind. When Trump told me he’d wipe all that away, he was conning me. In fact, in many ways he was the fullest expression of the caricature of politicians (everything they say is a lie, they’re only out for themselves) I thought I was striking back against when I supported him.

Those voters may decide to vote for a Democrat next time. Or they may be demobilized, deciding that there isn’t much point to voting at all. The nearly all-white areas where turnout shot up in 2016 might settle right back down to where they used to be.

Or maybe Trump will find a way to actually improve the lives of working class voters. That’s theoretically possible, but absolutely nothing he has done or said so far suggests that he has any idea how to do it, or even the inclination. So he may try to keep the fires of hatred, resentment, and fear burning, in the hopes that people forget that he hasn’t given them the practical things he said he would.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 04:10 pm
@revelette2,
Poor Revelette. She appears convinced that those who voted for Trump didn't understand what they were doing or why. Unfortunately for her the evidence suggests they were seriously fed up with the current Administration and the perceived direcvtion in which the country was going, and thoughtfully voted their self interest.. It is sadly amusing to observe how quick the avid consumers of progressive political thought are to blame others for the failures of their political programs and ideas. It's going to be a long four (or eight) years for her.
layman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 04:14 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It's going to be a long four (or eight) years for her.

And they will do their best to make it even harder on others. The prospect of 4 years of hearing disingenuous whining from the leftists is not an appealing one.

Of course no one is forced to listen. That kind of din gets filtered out and ignored pretty quickly. Are they still protesting in the streets 24/7? I think they are, but who knows? No one pays attention any more.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 04:34 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

It's going to be a long four (or eight) years for her.

And they will do their best to make it even harder on others. The prospect of 4 years of hearing disingenuous whining from the leftists is not an appealing one.

Of course no one is forced to listen. That kind of din gets filtered out and ignored pretty quickly. Are they still protesting in the streets 24/7? I think they are, but who knows? No one pays attention any more.

I suspect you may have put your finger on it in your second paragraph. They have been whining for a very long time already, and it appears are losing large segments of their audience as a result. The 4% rise in the S&P since the election is, itself, a preliminary indicator of rising confidence in restored normal levels of economic growth. I expect the whining and rationalizations will continue for a while and with more of the same results.
0 Replies