revelette2

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 08:10 am
I guess now that he is elected they gave Trump back his twitter account. Among other things he is using it to promote himself with lies. I am shocked.

Trump took credit for saving a Ford plant that was never in any danger in the first place.

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 08:29 am
A spokeswoman for the company clarified in a statement on Thursday that Bill Ford had actually told the president-elect that the production of one type of vehicle, the Lincoln MKC SUV, would be staying in Louisville. Ford had previously considered moving that production line to Mexico so that the company could ramp up production of the better-selling Ford Escape.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 11:37 am
@giujohn,
Ford has repeatedly said it has no plans to close any U.S. plants and likely could not do so under the terms of the current United Auto Workers contract that expires in 2019.
Quote:
Spokeswoman Christin Baker said Ford "confirmed with the President-elect that our small Lincoln utility vehicle made at the Louisville Assembly plant will stay in Kentucky".

"We are encouraged that President-elect Trump and the new Congress will pursue policies that will improve U.S. competitiveness and make it possible to keep production of this vehicle here in the United States," she added, in a statement.
Source
revelette2

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 11:47 am
@giujohn,
One production of a vehicle is not a whole company along with their employers losing jobs like Trump claimed. It was small scale of a production of one vehicle which was an expansion, it was never going to result of loss of jobs or the plant shutting down.

Quote:
CNN’s Christine Romans: “This Plant Was Never Moving To Mexico … Always Going To Stay In Louisville .” CNN chief business correspondent Christine Romans explained that Trump is “taking credit for keeping an entire auto plant from notifying Mexico a plant that wasn't moving anyway,” adding that Ford “signed a legally binding contract” with the United Auto Workers to create “$700 million of new investments at that plant in Louisville” and promised to “keep employment near the current level of 4,700 workers.” Romans pointed out that the company might have considered moving “the small scale production of the Lincoln MKC” to Mexico, but “this plant was always going to stay in Louisville.” She added that “this is the second time” Trump has falsely taken credit for a Ford business decision that he had no actual influence over. From the November 18 edition of CNN’s New Day:

Quote:
NY Times: Ford’s Proposed Change “Had Not Been Expected To Result In Any Job Losses.” According to The New York Times, “Ford had not planned to close the Louisville factory,” but rather, “it had planned to expand production of another vehicle made in Louisville, the Ford Escape.” The Times added, “the change had not been expected to result in any job losses.” From the November 18 Times report:

Quote:
NPR: Ford Confirmed This Week That “Trump’s Election Has Not Changed The Company’s Plans.” According to a report by NPR, Ford already confirmed earlier in the week that “Trump’s election has not changed the company’s plans” regarding its production facilities. NPR added that “plant closings are covered by collective bargaining agreements” with the UAW and “it’s not clear if plants could be closed before those agreements expire.” From the November 18 article:

source

Links and transcripts at the source.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 11:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I know, now, I was getting to that. I am just really slow I usually research while I am posting.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 08:11 am
The real story behind that exaggerated Ford tweet from Donald Trump

Quote:
During a conference call with analysts Thursday morning, Ford Motor Company Chief Financial Officer Bob Shanks was asked how President-elect Donald Trump's trade policies might affect the automaker's decisions on investing in Mexico or in the United States.

Shanks said that he couldn't speculate on trade. He pivoted, instead, to Trump's plans to cut taxes and spend more on infrastructure, saying they could “build a stronger, more vibrant, growing economy and provide an environment where it makes economic sense to build back up manufacturing jobs here.”

Less than 11 hours later, Trump was bragging on Twitter that he helped stop Ford from moving an entire factory from Kentucky to Mexico.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
✔ ‎@realDonaldTrump

Just got a call from my friend Bill Ford, Chairman of Ford, who advised me that he will be keeping the Lincoln plant in Kentucky - no Mexico

Quote:

Donald J. Trump
✔ ‎@realDonaldTrump

I worked hard with Bill Ford to keep the Lincoln plant in Kentucky. I owed it to the great State of Kentucky for their confidence in me!

The tweets were exaggerated: Ford's contract with the United Auto Workers prevents it from shutting down the factory in question, the Louisville Assembly Plant, or from laying off workers there without engaging further talks with the union. The company clarified that it had merely decided not to move production of a single vehicle, the Lincoln MKC, out of Kentucky.

At the same time, the company said Friday that the coming Trump presidency did give it an incentive to keep Lincoln MKC in Kentucky. “We are encouraged the economic policies he will pursue will help improve U.S. competitiveness,” Ford spokeswoman Christin Baker said, “and make it possible to keep production of this vehicle here in the U.S.”

The events stirred a flurry of confusion on social media that lasted through Friday, and they underscored two fast-emerging realities for U.S. business in the coming Trump era. It appears that large companies such as Ford could, at least to some degree, be set to invest more domestically if Trump and Congress cut its taxes. It also appears that Trump will seize opportunities to claim credit for those investments, and to cast them as victories even if they result in no new U.S. jobs.

In the case of Ford in Louisville, “No one really thought that plant would close,” said Bernard Swiecki, a senior automotive analyst at the Center for Automotive Research in Michigan, who tracks North American automakers' investment decisions. “These moves are not at all akin to saving the plant. That was never under consideration by anyone.”

What was known publicly before Thursday's developments was that Ford had already announced plans to move production of the Lincoln MKC out of Louisville. Its contract with the UAW called for it to make up that lost production — and ensure no jobs would be lost in Louisville — by producing more Ford Escapes, the other vehicle assembled in the plant. The Escape is the far more popular model: Ford has sold more than 258,000 of them this year through October, compared with just under 21,000 MKCs.

The contract does not say where the MKC production would go. Ford officials said late Thursday that they had intended to move it to Mexico. Union officials said Friday that the company had never indicated that to them. Reports last year suggested a plant in Chicago might pick up the MKC production.

Ford did announce plans to move a different line of production — small cars, including the Ford Focus — from Michigan to Mexico. It said it would ramp up other production in Michigan to ensure no workers lost their jobs from the move. Trump criticized that decision repeatedly on the campaign trail, but the company reaffirmed this week that it is going forward with that move.

So why did Ford cancel a relatively modest, previously unannounced plan to move Lincoln production to Mexico, while maintaining its larger-scale plan to move small-car production there?

Privately on Friday, Ford officials suggested that their decision to keep Lincoln production in Louisville was influenced in part by the likelihood that Trump will sign a large cut in corporate income tax rates and move to scale back fuel-economy standards issued under President Obama, which automakers have called onerous. Those policies would affect the financial calculus the company uses when deciding which cars to produce and where to produce them.

Swiecki suggested another factor: Ford's softening sales growth. The company is on track to sell fewer vehicles this year than it did in 2015, a demand reduction that could mean there was no need to move the MKC production to enable the plant to churn out more Escapes.

A joint letter to Louisville plant workers from UAW and Ford officials on Friday seemed to hint at that.

“The company's plan has been to balance out the current model of the Lincoln MKC to allow for additional capacity for the Escape,” it read. “The company has since reevaluated that plan based on changing business conditions.” The letter said the company's chairman, Bill Ford, had spoken with Trump on Thursday and “let him know of the change in plans.”

Some automotive writers suggested that with the move, Ford officials were offering Trump concessions in hopes of dissuading him from following through with a campaign threat to levy tariffs of up to 45 percent on imports from countries such as Mexico and China. In his call with analysts, Shanks, the company chief financial officer, suggested the company does not know how seriously to take those threats.

“I don't want to speculate” on the impacts of Trump's trade policies, Shanks said. “I just don't know, we don't know, none of us know.”

“So,” he continued, “I just keep coming back to the fact that it's clear that at least from the campaign positions that Mr. Trump took that they are focused on growth, they are focused on bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S., they are focused on building a stronger, more competitive infrastructure, which I think that's great for the country, as well.”
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 11:46 am
So then it looks like behind the scenes Trump had an influence on Ford's decision.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 09:42 am
Trump might come right around and say something different, but so far...

Trump won’t pursue case against Clinton, Conway says

I just hope the rest of what he campaigned on bites the dust the same way.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 09:44 am
Trump Foundation apparently admits to violating ban on ‘self-dealing,’ new filing to IRS shows

Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump’s charitable foundation has apparently admitted to the IRS that it violated a legal prohibition against “self-dealing,” which bars nonprofit leaders from using their charity’s money to help themselves, their businesses, or their families.

That admission was contained in the Donald J. Trump Foundation’s IRS tax filings for 2015, which were posted online Monday evening at the nonprofit-tracking site Guidestar. A Guidestar spokesman said the forms were uploaded by the Trump Foundation’s law firm, Morgan, Lewis and Bockius.

But hey, who can trust the liars of the press?
revelette2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 09:50 am
Willing to oppose Trump, some Senate Republicans gain leverage
Quote:

A small number of influential Republicans in the Senate are threatening to block appointments to Trump's administration, derail his thaw with Russia and prevent the planned wall on the border with Mexico.

The party held onto control of the Senate at the Nov. 8 election but by only a thin margin, putting powerful swing votes in just a few hands.

That empowers Republican Senate mavericks such as Rand Paul of Kentucky and Ted Cruz of Texas. Both were bitter rivals to Trump in the 2016 Republican presidential primary.

Paul, a libertarian lone wolf, says he will block Senate confirmations if Trump nominates either former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani or former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton to be secretary of state.

South Carolina's Lindsay Graham has started publicly outlining places he might be willing to oppose Trump. He is against the Mexican border wall and is delivering warnings against Trump's intention to revoke legal status for undocumented immigrants brought here as children - although that would not require congressional approval.

Graham, a traditional Republican foreign policy hawk, strongly disagrees with Trump's attempt to improve ties with Russia.

"I am going to be kind of a hard ass" on Russia, Graham told reporters recently. "We can’t sit on the sidelines" and let cyber attacks blamed on Russia "go unanswered."

The early stirrings of opposition from Senate Republicans are a sign that the New York businessman, who has never held public office, might run into harsh political realities soon after taking office on Jan. 20.

Other Senators who might defy Trump are Arizona's John McCain and Jeff Flake, Nebraska's Ben Sasse, Florida's Marco Rubio, Maine's Susan Collins and Alaska's Lisa Murkowski, said senior Senate aides and lawmakers.

These lawmakers have ruffled feathers in the past and some have a good political reason not to fear Trump: Paul, McCain, Murkowski and Rubio do not have to run for reelection until 2022. Graham, Collins and Sasse will have to face the voters in 2020; Cruz and Flake have an earlier election, in 2018.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, whose job is to keep the Republicans in line, knows the challenges ahead. A senior Republican aide said McConnell is “loathe” to spend time trying to move bills that lack the needed Senate votes.

Thank goodness.
giujohn

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 09:53 am
@revelette2,
So have they tied this obvious mistake/ interpretation of the convoluted IRS regulations directly to Donald Trump or the many accountants and lawyers that handle the foundation's business?
giujohn

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:02 am
@revelette2,
Well then these rhinos will suffer the same consequences that the Democratic Party experienced when the people who were underestimated in this last election demonstrated their opposition to business as usual by the establishment... right now it's all Bluster and we'll see what happens when Trump calls their Bluff. They didn't stand up to Barack Obama I doubt seriously if they'll do so to president Trump
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:08 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

But hey, who can trust the liars of the press?

Who can indeed. Ity appears the Trump Foundation admitted it. When will the Clinton Foundation do the same?
Baldimo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:24 am
@revelette2,
You say thank goodness but I'm one of those who said the from the start that no matter who controlled congress, they would be able to limit Trump while he was in office. Of course that flies out the window when it comes to EO's/EA's, you know the "pen and a phone"... With the GOP taking Congress, they would have controlled Hillary as well. The only nightmare scenario I saw was Hillary as President and a Dem Congress.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:43 am
@giujohn,
One of the selfdealings was melania's purchasewith foundation funds ofa six foot painting of the donald which hangs in one of his golf clubs. Hard to pin that onhis accountants
georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:45 am
@MontereyJack,
I wonder if it cost more than Chelsea's wedding?
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:45 am
@georgeob1,
The clinton foundatio brouhaha was basically another ttrump gop lie from startt to finish.
giujohn

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:49 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

The clinton foundatio brouhaha was basically another ttrump gop lie from startt to finish.

Well that's just bullshit... How do you account for the FBI's ongoing criminal investigation of the foundation if it was all just the GOP Trump lie?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:51 am
@georgeob1,
You ha e anything other than innuendo that the clinton foundation paidfor chelseas wedddding? And dont give me any **** about speech playments. The fees were in line with what other ex politican)s like failed w bush are getting.
giujohn

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:53 am
@MontereyJack,
Half a million dollars for a 30 min. speech? When did Bush ever get that much?