georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:49 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

In your "competition" based school system example where unions are broken, a very likely result would be less money for teachers. Competition means taking funds away from public schools...where do you think those funds go?

Competition means many things; better quality, more innovation, more efficient use of resources and most importantly success in satisfying the customer.

Corporations that lose sight of those things for any reason simply die and disappear from view. Labor unions have killed more than a few. Public bureaucracies and the instutions they govern that do the same simply go on for as long as they can convincingly blame others for their failures or persuade interest groups to tolerate them.

Competition is a cure for both.

Layman gave you a good answer to your question about where the funds go.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:51 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

maporsche wrote:

In your "competition" based school system example where unions are broken, a very likely result would be less money for teachers. Competition means taking funds away from public schools...

Obviously. Less money for public school teachers because there would be less of them. Why? Because they have responsibility for fewer students.

Is there some point you're trying to make with this "insight?"

Riiiiiight. So when these public school teachers are fired, where do they go?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:53 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
No. I only have to deal with the school districts in so much that my property taxes pay for them.

Do you own your own home or do you rent? If you rent then you are not really paying property taxes, you are only paying a portion of those taxes.

Quote:
THAT gives me a say, whether you think I should have one or not. Unless you don't think those who fund public endeavors should have a say in them.

Your opinion on what the school needs should not weigh as heavily as a parents opinion who actually has a child in the school. You really have no skin in the game where the parents are all in.

Quote:
I also have 3 good friends who are teachers here in Chicago, so some of our conversations are around their experiences as teachers.

It's good to know that your opinion on what kids need in school is shaped by teachers and not the parents who actually send their children to school. Sorry Maporsche but I think parents should have a much larger share in the control of local schools than they do. Teacher unions do not care for the children and their decisions for the school are based solely on what the teachers want and not what the parents want for their children. It's the Fox watching the Hen house.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:53 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Wherever they want. It's employment, not wellfare. Moreover, others are involver , namely the children who are their victims.
maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:00 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
No. I only have to deal with the school districts in so much that my property taxes pay for them.

Do you own your own home or do you rent? If you rent then you are not really paying property taxes, you are only paying a portion of those taxes.

I own two homes and a separate piece of land that I pay taxes on. But I object to your comment about renters not 'counting' I guess. It's not like rent only covers the cost of a mortgage and/or expenses...it covers the cost of the owners property taxes too (at least if the investment is sound). Renters pay property taxes too (albeit indirectly).

Quote:

Quote:
THAT gives me a say, whether you think I should have one or not. Unless you don't think those who fund public endeavors should have a say in them.

Your opinion on what the school needs should not weigh as heavily as a parents opinion who actually has a child in the school. You really have no skin in the game where the parents are all in.

Is this approach true in other ways our government spends money? You're not a woman, so does your opinion not count on women's healthcare. You're not in the oil industry, so does your opinion not count on oil subsides? I'm sure there are other better examples, but I've not the time.

Quote:

Quote:
I also have 3 good friends who are teachers here in Chicago, so some of our conversations are around their experiences as teachers.

It's good to know that your opinion on what kids need in school is shaped by teachers and not the parents who actually send their children to school. Sorry Maporsche but I think parents should have a much larger share in the control of local schools than they do. Teacher unions do not care for the children and their decisions for the school are based solely on what the teachers want and not what the parents want for their children. It's the Fox watching the Hen house.

Those teachers are also parents, with children in school. Not to mention the dozens of friends and acquaintances that I have who have children but and are not teachers.

I also do not rely solely on personal experiences or third hand information when coming to a conclusion. My experiences are shaped no more than yours would be if you knew a police officer or a homeless person.
maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:02 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Wherever they want. It's employment, not wellfare. Moreover, others are involver , namely the children who are their victims.

For sure!! I agree 100%.

My point was that the likely outcome of charter schools would be that teachers however many of them there are, in either public or private charter schools will, in the end of things, make less money per teacher than they do now.

So the solution that you're advocating to education costs is, quite simply, pay teachers less money.
Frugal1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:08 pm
I think Trump will make a fine president, absolutely superior to that nasty woman - no question about it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:10 pm
All of this talk is really going nowhere. Students in large cities fail because they are poor students and have little parental involvement. Good students and those with good parental support do better. Most of the time, those parents will find the best school for their children. Often that is a charter school or religious school.

That is why those school typically perform better. If you take poor (not un-wealthy, but inept) students and put them in good schools, chances are they will continue being poor students. They may in fact be detrimental to those around them. Parental involvement is key to 95% of student success and without it most children will do poorly in school. There are always exceptions so please don't drag them out as representational to all of society. Exceptions are exceptions, not the norm.

I had to pay taxes AND tuition for my son to go to a Catholic school until the local diocese decided to shut it down. I'd have preferred to only paid taxes and send him to a better school.
maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:11 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Teacher unions do not care for the children...

I have a really hard time believing that you actually think this.
maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:12 pm
@McGentrix,
Agreed McG.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:21 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
But I object to your comment about renters not 'counting' I guess. It's not like rent only covers the cost of a mortgage and/or expenses...it covers the cost of the owners property taxes too (at least if the investment is sound). Renters pay property taxes too (albeit indirectly).

This is true if you deal in rental housing. If you live in an apt, then you are only paying a portion of the property tax, and not enough of it to really count as paying anything.

Quote:
Is this approach true in other ways our government spends money?

It depends on what level of govt you are talking about. No one really has a say how the federal govt spends money. It's why we elect people to go to DC.

Quote:
You're not a woman, so does your opinion not count on women's healthcare. You're not in the oil industry, so does your opinion not count on oil subsides? I'm sure there are other better examples, but I've not the time.

Womens healthcare, the euphemism for abortion. My only take on abortion is the fathers rights should count on these decisions. This doesn't include rapists or other people who commit sexual crimes but legit men who would want to option of caring for a baby the mother wants to terminate.

How about if you don't own a gun you can't comment on gun laws? Is that a good example? If you weren't in the military, your opinion on military matters should be null. Those types of opinions and decisions?
maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:21 pm
Do you guys believe that having higher/competitive pay in corporate jobs will lead to better workers applying for and ultimately getting hired into those jobs?

For example, if I'm a CEO level candidate and UPS is hiring a CEO at ~15MM/year compensation package and FedEX is hiring one at ~20MM/year it stands to reason that FedEx is going to have a larger number of qualified candidates vying for the job. Right?

Now, why with teachers, or police officers, or firefighters, do we think that this works differently? I mean when I got out of college 15 years ago, I had the opportunity to work in a white collar corporate job making twice as much as a police officer does and more than twice what a teacher does. I chose the corporate gig and so did the vast majority of my colleagues.

Now, when we complain about how bad teachers are or how bad police officers are....do we not think that it might be because some of the better people are going into careers that offer more money/benefits?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:24 pm
@maporsche,
I fully believe this. they aren't paid by the children, they are paid by the teachers who are in the union. Parents don't pay the unions so they really don't care about the parents opinions either. They only care about their clients, the teachers and not those who are not paying their pay checks.
maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:29 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
You're not a woman, so does your opinion not count on women's healthcare. You're not in the oil industry, so does your opinion not count on oil subsides? I'm sure there are other better examples, but I've not the time.

Womens healthcare, the euphemism for abortion. My only take on abortion is the fathers rights should count on these decisions. This doesn't include rapists or other people who commit sexual crimes but legit men who would want to option of caring for a baby the mother wants to terminate.

How about if you don't own a gun you can't comment on gun laws? Is that a good example? If you weren't in the military, your opinion on military matters should be null. Those types of opinions and decisions?

I wasn't thinking of abortion, but more the recent stuff regarding Obamacare and having to pay for IUDs and other birth control measures. Or the complaints of men having to pay for breast exams, etc.

And yeah, those are other examples too.

If YOU don't think childless couples have a right to have an opinion on school boards, do you also think that people who don't own a gun have a right to vote on gun laws? Or that people who aren't doctors should have an opinion on best methods of healthcare? Or that people who can't pass an IQ test should have an opinion on anything?
maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:32 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

I fully believe this. they aren't paid by the children, they are paid by the teachers who are in the union. Parents don't pay the unions so they really don't care about the parents opinions either. They only care about their clients, the teachers and not those who are not paying their pay checks.

Teacher unions are made up of teachers. Policies and contracts are voted on by teachers. Teachers go on strike and lose pay.

Do you think that teachers don't care about students?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:36 pm
@Baldimo,
[snark] Are you in a teachers union? If not, then maybe you're not allowed to have an opinion on a teachers union.[/snark]
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:40 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I wasn't thinking of abortion, but more the recent stuff regarding Obamacare and having to pay for IUDs and other birth control measures. Or the complaints of men having to pay for breast exams, etc.

The ACA is a different beast altogether. My insurance policy isn't the same as a govt program, except for how the govt controls what goes into insurance policies. I'm all for people using BC, but I shouldn't have to carry coverage for something I'm never going to use. That isn't insurance.

Quote:
If YOU don't think childless couples have a right to have an opinion on school boards, do you also think that people who don't own a gun have a right to vote on gun laws? Or that people who aren't doctors should have an opinion on best methods of healthcare? Or that people who can't pass an IQ test should have an opinion on anything?

You are not reading what I wrote. I said if you don't have kids in the school system, your opinion shouldn't carry the same weight as those who do have kids in the school system. Try and keep up and try not to put words in my mouth, it's poor form.

In our society everyone has an opinion on everything. Do some opinions matter more than others? Of course they do.
maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:44 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

You are not reading what I wrote. I said if you don't have kids in the school system, your opinion shouldn't carry the same weight as those who do have kids in the school system. Try and keep up and try not to put words in my mouth, it's poor form.

Jesus, you're another one who doesn't understand that a QUESTION mark indicates that I'm asking a question. I can't be putting words into your mouth (and having poor form) if I'm literally asking you what your 'words' are.

Thank you for clarifying your meaning.
I disagree 100%, but thanks.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:45 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

For sure!! I agree 100%.

My point was that the likely outcome of charter schools would be that teachers however many of them there are, in either public or private charter schools will, in the end of things, make less money per teacher than they do now.

So the solution that you're advocating to education costs is, quite simply, pay teachers less money.

Your assumption about future pay is just that .... an assumption. I see nothing there to necessarily yield one or the other.

Your conclusion is simply illogical and unfounded by the information you postulated.

Whether teachers are paid more or less has nothing whatever to do with the subject being discussed, namely the continuing failure of public education in Detroit (and many other places). It's a safe bet that some Detroit teachers are not being paid enough for what they do and some far too much. Ufortunately all of them have tenure, and between the Board of Education and the intransigent Union, they inhabit a dysfunctional system whose only answer to criticism and failure is efforts to blame others and demands for more money.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 06:43 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that if you placed an entire schools worth of children into a given charter school's program, that those same children would outperform public schools. I severely doubt that to be the case based on the evidence I've seen.

What I read in Freakonomics was that children of parents motivated enough to make the effort of getting into charter schools performed better. Surprisingly perhaps, the applicants that were not admitted performed better than average in conventional schools. All of Levitt & Dubner's research was done within the Chicago school system

maporsche wrote:

The only argument that appears to have some basis in measurable data is the cost per pupil figures that I've seen online. Something like charter schools being 20%-30% less expensive than public schools. The cause most often cited for the less expense per pupil is due to faculty (i.e. teachers) being paid less money.

In your "competition" based school system example where unions are broken, a very likely result would be less money for teachers. Competition means taking funds away from public schools...where do you think those funds go?

Please note that charter schools are public schools. You seem to be making a distinction between public and private schools. Charter schools are not private.