FBI reopens case on Clinton private email server

Baldimo

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 11:57 am
New emails have surfaced and the FBI is reopening their investigation into Hillary Clintons private email server.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/politics/fbi-reviewing-new-emails-in-clinton-probe-director-tells-senate-judiciary-committee/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 8,452 • Replies: 239

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 12:30 pm
I am guessing the investigation will last longer than two weeks. In fact, Republicans will keep it going four to eight years for certain. In fact, I expect about a dozen concurrent investigations, beginning with emails and Benghazi, but including Whitewater and Vince Foster.
Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 12:41 pm
You know it's Friday during an election year when the FBI spews an info dump.

Last big FBI dump was Friday before Labor Day.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 12:53 pm
@Brand X,
From the traction I have seen already on this announcement, I don't think this will be a normal weekend for news coverage. They had cleared her and have now reopened the case? That's big news, even for a Friday.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 12:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
...and the truth about Ron Brown!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 01:56 pm
@Sturgis,
or JFK jr.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 01:59 pm
@Baldimo,
I agree. As scrutinized as Comey has been it must be something significant.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:50 pm
It's something they found on Anthony Weiner's phone.

His (ex?) wife is a top Clinton aide. It's probably an email from her that was sent through that server.
Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:58 pm
@boomerang,
The Clinton's problems always lead back to a wiener.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 07:54 pm
@Brand X,
This was dumped by the republican arm of the FBI in an effort to keep the house and senate republican and even possibly elect a republican president with a Russian vicepresident named Putin. 11 days before the election! That FBI crook should be brought to court for screwing around with the election. Only Russians, or republican FBI men are allowed to screw around with american elections.
roger

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 07:56 pm
I find myself wondering who will still be working for the FBI after Clinton is sworn in.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 08:03 pm
@roger,
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/email-leak-clinton-1.3826265

Quote:
Clinton calls on FBI to release information about new emails

Quote:
"If they're going to be sending this kind of letter that is only going to Republican members of the House, they need to share whatever facts they claim to have with the American people."

At a short news conference Friday evening, Clinton said no one in her campaign had been contacted by the FBI.

"It's imperative the bureau explain this issue in question, whatever it is, without any delay," she said.

When asked if she knew what information the FBI was referring to, Clinton told reporters, "Your guess is as good as mine.

it's hinky from right to left and back again
0 Replies

AC14747

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 06:59 am
@RABEL222,
The Republican arm of the FBI? What did they do kidnap the director and force him to issue the statement? Was it the leftist arm of the FBI that forced comey to say on one hand she was guilty but on the other hand we're not going to charge her?
AC14747

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 07:01 am
At this point my prediction is that Hillary just lost the election.
revelette2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 09:34 am
I knew if I waiting a day, it would be less sensational.

Emails in Anthony Weiner Inquiry Jolt Hillary Clinton’s Campaign

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The presidential campaign was rocked on Friday after federal law enforcement officials said that emails pertinent to the closed investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server were discovered on a computer belonging to Anthony D. Weiner, the estranged husband of a top Clinton aide.

In a letter to Congress, the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, said the emails had surfaced in an unrelated case, which law enforcement officials said was an F.B.I. investigation into illicit text messages from Mr. Weiner to a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina. Mr. Weiner, a former Democratic congressman from New York, is married to Huma Abedin, the top aide.

Mr. Comey's letter said that the F.B.I. would review the emails to determine if they improperly contained classified information, which is tightly controlled by the government. Senior law enforcement officials said that it was unclear if any of the emails were from Mrs. Clinton’s private server. And while Mr. Comey said in his letter that the emails “appear to be pertinent,” the F.B.I. had not yet examined them.

By the end of a day that brought stinging criticism of Mr. Comey from both Democrats and Republicans, he appeared on the defensive, saying in an internal email to bureau employees that he had felt obligated to inform Congress, and “we don’t know the significance of this newly discovered collection of emails.’’

More at the source. Bolded added by me.

I think Comey is acting in an overabundant caution to republicans in congress which is a shame because it only adds fodder for the Trump campaign while adding no information to form any decision when it comes to voting. I agree completely with the Clinton's campaign words of sharing what they have with the American people before they go to vote. If they feel they can't, they shouldn't have shared anything at all until they at least looked at it. How in the world do they even know if it pertinent if they haven't even looked?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:10 am
@AC14747,
AC14747 wrote:

At this point my prediction is that Hillary just lost the election.

I predict she still has it easily won. The reason I believe this is that you can't find me a single person whose mind has been changed by the fact the email scandal has been re-opened.

I believe that Hillary is a political figure who twists the rules to get what she wants. The email story doesn't change that at all. I believe that Trump is a Buffoon and a dangerous bully who plays around with White Supremacy.

For most of us, in a choice between these two, Hillary is the obvious winner.

In less than two weeks you will see that I am right.

Miller

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:51 am
@AC14747,
No way! If anything, people are beginning to see the Trump game for what it is.

Trump is such a joke, he makes Mr. Weiner look like a gem.

Take a look at the front page of the NYPost for today, for another view of the Weiner-Man! His poor wife....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:54 am
Latest piece of news floating around, is the possibility of President Mrs Clinton appointing President Obama to the Supreme Court, should she be elected as our next President. ( Which of course, she will be..).
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 11:42 am
I am thinking at the end of the day they had better have something to justify this "October surprise" or there is going to be an awful lot of mad people, not in the way they might think either.

Justice officials warned FBI that Comey’s decision to update Congress was not consistent with department policy

Quote:
Senior Justice Department officials warned the FBI that Director James B. Comey’s decision to notify Congress about renewing the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server was not consistent with long-standing practices of the department, according to officials familiar with the discussions.

Comey told Justice officials that he intended to inform lawmakers of newly discovered emails. These officials told him the department’s position “that we don’t comment on an ongoing investigation. And we don’t take steps that will be viewed as influencing an election,” said one Justice official who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the high-level conversations.

“Director Comey understood our position. He heard it from Justice leadership,” said the official. “It was conveyed to the FBI, and Comey made an independent decision to alert the Hill. He is operating independently of the Justice Department. And he knows it.”

Comey decided to inform Congress that he would look again into Hillary Clinton’s handling of emails during her time as secretary of state for two main reasons: a sense of obligation to lawmakers and a concern that word of the new email discovery would leak to the media and raise questions of a coverup.

If I was Comey, I might be sending out feelers for alternative jobs.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 12:15 pm
@revelette2,
Comey finally tears away from the iron hand of the Obama administration and does his actual job.

Justice officials warned FBI that Comey’s decision to update Congress was not consistent with department policy

Quote:
Senior Justice Department officials warned the FBI that Director James B. Comey’s decision to notify Congress about renewing the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server was not consistent with long-standing practices of the department, according to officials familiar with the discussions.

Comey told Justice officials that he intended to inform lawmakers of newly discovered emails. These officials told him the department’s position “that we don’t comment on an ongoing investigation. And we don’t take steps that will be viewed as influencing an election,” said one Justice official who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the high-level conversations.

“Director Comey understood our position. He heard it from Justice leadership,” said the official. “It was conveyed to the FBI, and Comey made an independent decision to alert the Hill. He is operating independently of the Justice Department. And he knows it.”

Comey decided to inform Congress that he would look again into Hillary Clinton’s handling of emails during her time as secretary of state for two main reasons: a sense of obligation to lawmakers and a concern that word of the new email discovery would leak to the media and raise questions of a coverup.

If I was Comey, I'd feel proud that I got out from under the corrupt Justice Department.