No Justice, No Peace

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 08:51 am
@snood,
Bad apples are starting to be the norm.
snood

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 08:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I do believe there are more good cops than bad. But I also believe the good cops are the ones with the most power to stop the murders and abuses by the bad cops, and they are choosing to remain silent.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:02 am
@snood,
I do, too.

But cops have the ultimate stand your ground defense. All they need to do is say they saw a gun and it seemed the victim was going to attack and stick to it.

Cops are also trained to pull their weapons first and fire in three round volleys. They are taught no de-escalation techniques or strategies.

They investigate themselves and pull a blue curtain over themselves and their own.

Good cops become bad cops by training and association with bad cops.

A good start would be to demilitarize the cops and remove all military weapons. decorations and vehicles.
snood

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Cops are also trained to pull their weapons first and fire in three round volleys. They are taught no de-escalation techniques or strategies.

It's REAL important not to traffic in misinformation. On my part time job as armed hospital security, I've taken handgun classes alongside law enforcement people. They most certainly ARE taught to de-escalate. There are four other levels of confronting a threat that come before ever drawing your weapon. And I've not seen anything about "three round volleys".
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:07 am
@edgarblythe,
I've been living in the same country as you.

Of course rioting is nothing new, regardless of race, but rioting was not a tactic approved and deployed by the mainstream Civil Rights Movement. If you have evidence otherwise, please share.

You're way off base when you charge that I am trying to assert you and snood want riots.

What I have said and will repeat is that saying riots are understandable and using volatile slogans like "No Justice, No Peace!" is too close to excusing riots.

I might be wrong but it sure seems that you are making the case that things will not change without continued rioting.
giujohn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:20 am
@Krumple,
I would be very interested to know what your definition of abuse and aggression was in your situation and just how objective you are being... and I'd also like to know what kind of crime they were investigating.

And lastly my question to you would be if you were the victim of this crime would you want the police officer investigating it to be aggressive in his investigation or to be ambivalent in his approach to catching the offender who victimized you.
giujohn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:25 am
@snood,
Much like when you remain silent over the inordinate number of blacks killed by other blacks as is the case in Chicago.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

A good start would be to demilitarize the cops and remove all military wespons

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

3 round volley???

When did you go through the police academy?

Seems to me that "military" equipment came in handy in the Florida nightclub shooting huh?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:33 am
@giujohn,
The police have a very tough job to perform. I would never want to be one, but just about everyone I know has run across a "bad cop" or two during the coarse of their lives. This could range from being insulting to brutality.

I have to imagine that cops in high crime areas, after a while, become jaded, cynical and even prejudiced.

Maybe a solution is to keep any cop's exposure to the mean streets limited to no more than 10 years. Of course this would deprive the neighborhood of highly experienced cops who haven't suffered ill effects from being exposed to constant criminality.

It's a pretty tough nut to crack and despite what we all may want to see there is no way the police forces in this country can eliminate all of the bad eggs. No organization or institution could do so and depending upon how hard they tried they might be eliminating some good eggs too.

I'm not sure very many people know what the statistics are in terms of cops being charged and convicted of crimes. I think that needs wider distribution.
giujohn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:33 am
@snood,
Ah... it all makes sense now... Another frustrated wannabe cop.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 09:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I worked a lot of years as a police officer. I started in the early 70s, six years in the army as military police and ended as Patrol Supervisor for a large military installation in Texas. I then went on to the civilian police department in a large Metropolitan City in the Southwest I've also been a federal law enforcement officer for Department of Homeland Security.

In all that time I was a cop the only force I've ever had to use, other than wrestling people into handcuffs, was I remember I had to mace a very large intoxicated six-foot-four 300-pound Indian. And I have made arrests for everything from shoplifting to murder.

I've done that using what we call officer presence. I made them think that compared to me, Attila the Hun was a pussy and I let them know in no uncertain terms that I was fully prepared to escalate the use of force and I did come very close to employing deadly force on two occasions.

When I had started on this particular Police Department in the Southwest they had not had a police officer killed since 1955. There was an election going on and the Democratic candidate was trying to gain the endorsement of the police department on a Law & Order platform. He was elected and one of the first things he did was the commute all death sentences to life in prison including those who killed police officers. In a few short years after that this Department lost six officers including my training officer.

The difference nowadays compared to when I was a cop is it used to be the norm that most cops never even had to pull their gun out of their holster once in their entire career. But now we have a society that is anti-cop fueled by politically correct politicians a slanted media and groups like BLM who Foster the notion that it's cool to oppose the police officer and then video it and put it on Facebook. In all my time as a street cop I can only remember two or three High Speed police chases... Now you see it on TV several times a day.

I believe that if you want to lessen the number of people who are shot by police officers the formula would be that resisting arrest should rise to the level of a felony with a sentence on the first offense of 5 years mandatory and 10 years for subsequent offenses. If a weapon is present it should be an automatic five-year additional sentence to be served consecutively not concurrently with other charges. And while it may not eliminate completely the problem it will certainly give some of these idiots out their pause before they decide to resist and that may just be enough time to save their own life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 10:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
No Black Lives Matter people are saying it is okay to riot. It is not in their book of approved tactics. Nobody on this thread is calling for riots. But spreading blame for riots to ones who are not responsible is an irresponsible tactic to turn public opinion against an organization (BLM).

I have only said that rage rises because institutional racism is immoveable and relentless. Generations of it. Not just something that occurs on occasion. Some don't handle the fear and anger the same way a reasonable guy like you would handle it in the same situation. (Or would you?) BLM did not instill that rage and they did not advocate giving in to violence. Making them the whipping boy might feel good, but it is inaccurate.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 10:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
The cops are not always even in high crime areas when the bad ones shoot without reasonable cause.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 10:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
As for the statistics you asked for:

Between April of 2009 and December 2010 there were over three thousand police officers criminally charged for misconduct on complaint, which resulted in over 1000 convictions.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 10:31 am
@edgarblythe,
During several BLM marches we all heard them chanting for the death of police officers... the result was several dead police officers.

Saying that it's not in their playbook is absolute bullshit and means absolutely nothing.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 11:33 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I do believe there are more good cops than bad. But I also believe the good cops are the ones with the most power to stop the murders and abuses by the bad cops, and they are choosing to remain silent.

I agree with that. I also believe that is a statement that could with equal accuracy be made (with suitable changes in references) about several other groups also peripherally involved in this discussion. Indeed this may point the way to a real solution if all had a will to do so.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 07:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
At this point we are going around and around with the same arguments.

I've repeatedly said I don't believe the people who are truly seeking justice are engaged in the violence. If they are, whomever they are, they are wrong and they are stupid because it will never work.

If those who seek justice are not involved in stoking or committing the violence we have seen then they should be prepared to condemn it.

I don't believe I've referred to BLM in this thread but if they or other activists are not involved in stoking or committing the violence we have seen then who has been? Criminals and anarchists, as I have suggested, and they are doing the activists no favor.

Marching down the street calling for cops to be killed encourages and promotes violence. If BLM wasn't part of those events then they are not guilty of stoking violence. If they were, they are. It makes no particular difference to me which is the case. I don't have an ax to grind with BLM beyond the fact that, in my opinion, those who speak for them tend to be incoherent, and/or intellectually immature. They will succeed or not based on their ability to change public opinion. Right now I don't see them doing very well in that regard, but they are free to try. I don't, however, feel obligated to listen to their demands though because I agree that there is a problem that needs to be solved.

I will not accept or excuse rioting, looting the destruction of property and injuring and murdering others. If you will not either, we are in agreement.

momoends

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 01:03 am
@giujohn,
"It is estimated that doctors kill (or to use the term that is all the gog in this thread...murdered) close to a half million people in the United States by medical malpractice. Now if black people are 13% of the population it follows that 65000 black people are probably killed by doctors each year. How many were killed by white doctors?"---- so, according to this... police killing those people was malpractice, right?
momoends

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 01:06 am
@giujohn,
it works... Seguridad Social
giujohn

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 05:37 am
@momoends,
No.