No Justice, No Peace

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 06:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why can't you grasp that we have compromised with institutionalized racism since the war between the states? Calls for dialog instead of corrective action is merely a stalling tactic. End the racist practices now or face the growing rage. Nobody here is stupid enough to believe that every single cop shooting of a black is race motivated, but recognition of the systemic pattern of racism cannot be brushed off by pointing this out. It is increasingly on camera and impossible to hide.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 06:51 am
These guys under the guise of being reasonable know on some level that if you get the activists to stand down they can begin to dilute the dialog until nothing changes.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 06:58 am
@snood,
Quote:

Quote:
Justice is not obtained in a civilized society through mob violence and destruction.

No one said it is.

And yet the title of this thread is...No Justice no Piece.

And while you don't advocate
violence you can see how it's justifiable.

This is the same refrain that Obama uses that fosters the climate of violence against police that has led to the murder of several police officers, and in one case. ironically, while protecting the very people, like you, who spew this crap.

Your equivocation and unambiguous language is used purposely to mask your true agenda. Your bigoted hatred of police specifically and white people generally it's thinly veiled.

Either that, or you are the true troll in this thread.
giujohn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 07:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Define systemic as used in your argument.

It certainly isn't akin to the systemic violence found within the urban black community as evidenced by the number of murders of black people perpetrated by other black people.

The math doesn't seem to support your conclusion.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 07:19 am
@giujohn,
CORRECTION:

"Your equivocation and ambiguous language is used purposely to mask your true agenda. Your bigoted hatred of police specifically and white people generally it's thinly veiled."

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 09:06 am
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.M726bcf15f5473c0d1b3123fc0710296ao0%26pid%3D15.1&f=1
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 09:37 am
The professional victim
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 10:18 am
@edgarblythe,
Present company, perhaps, excepted, there are people who believe every cop shooting of a black American is either racially motivated or a result of institutionalized racism. It's why with virtually every new incident protesters are out on the street and so are the the "No Justice, No Peace" signs and chants.

Far too many of these demonstrations have devolved into violence, rioting and looting.

Unlike you, apparently, I don't believe the perpetrators of violent reactions are doing so with righteous rage. I think that the vast majority of them are motivated either by criminal opportunism or anarchic politics.

Regardless, when anyone suggests it's understandable, they are dangerously close to excusing it.

I have no problem with demonstrations, as long as they remain peaceful. From what I can tell, the people who are genuinely concerned about this issue, manage to do so.

For the problems to be solved there has to be agreement on what those problems are and that takes dialogue. A group that declares "Meet our demands now or face our wrath!" is obviously not interested in dialogue and really has no chance of seeing the problems solved.

Insisting that people not riot, loot and injure others is not a "stalling tactic." To the degree that these practices are themselves tactics (and I don't believe they are) they are not only useless, they are counter-productive.

The Civil Rights Movement didn't engage in these "tactics," and it's leaders and members weren't brushed off. They weren't ignored, and they were facing institutionalized racism that far exceeds whatever extent it exists now.

If we all agree that every shooting is not an act of racism then the proper response to every shooting is not to criminally charge the cops involved and ignore their rights. A whole lot of people do feel that this is what should happen.

I heard an activist say that he wished that the officer in the Michael Brown case would have been put on trial because America needed the conversation.

That is ridiculous. There was no reason to charge the officer and the DOJ agreed. We're going to railroad an innocent public servant because some people want to see every cop charged or to have a conversation?

The officers in the Freddie Grey case were put through hell and the prosecutors couldn't make a case against any of them.

The officer in the Tulsa case has been charged with manslaughter. She should get a fair trial and if convicted, sentenced to prison time.

The Dallas PD has a pretty good record in this area and yet seven of their officers were murdered. Do you understand that? I sure don't.

We agree on some aspects of the issue but not all. Does that make me a racist or you a radical extremist?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 12:53 pm
I don't know where you have been living, but even prior to ML King there were sometimes riots. As I already posted a while back, riots are not something you wish for, but the pent up rage is bound to explode from time to time, because institutional racism never budges. People like you are trying to pin it on me and snood that we want riots. What we both prefer, I feel safe in saying, is the Black Lives Matter type protests, which are not that different from what ML King was doing. Sometimes the killing of a black person can be justified. But the rage is already there from events that transpired before and people already stirred up due to unrelenting targeting of black people may react with anger. Neutering racist hiring and deployment of bad cops is the first step. Fire the bad ones and prosecute the murderers as a first step and dialog would likely become a possibility.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 12:55 pm
Cherry picking events does not prove a thing.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 01:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't know where you have been living, but even prior to ML King there were sometimes riots. As I already posted a while back, riots are not something you wish for, but the pent up rage is bound to explode from time to time, because institutional racism never budges. People like you are trying to pin it on me and snood that we want riots. What we both prefer, I feel safe in saying, is the Black Lives Matter type protests, which are not that different from what ML King was doing. Sometimes the killing of a black person can be justified. But the rage is already there from events that transpired before and people already stirred up due to unrelenting targeting of black people may react with anger. Neutering racist hiring and deployment of bad cops is the first step. Fire the bad ones and prosecute the murderers as a first step and dialog would likely become a possibility.

If you were to fire all the bad cops there would be ten officers left in the whole country.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 01:04 pm
@Krumple,
I personally know or have known some fine officers of the law. Some are or have been family.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 01:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Fire the bad ones and prosecute the murderers as a first step and dialog would likely become a possibility.

Agree. If it became the rule rather than the exception that cops are convicted of and punished for unjust acts, it would be a huge step toward having some meaningful ongoing dialogue between law enforcement and the communities of color that they (are supposed to) serve and protect.
giujohn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 01:55 pm
@Krumple,
And can you tell us what you were arrested for that you felt was unjustified?
giujohn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 02:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I feel safe in saying, is the Black Lives Matter type protests, which are not that different from what ML King was doing.

I lived through the fifties and sixties and as a teenager in my Upstate New York City I marched in the Civil Rights Movement I don't recall anyone calling for the death of police officers chanting, pigs in a blanket fry em up like bacon, or, what do we want, Dead Cops, when do we want them, now.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 02:16 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:
Fire the bad ones and prosecute the murderers as a first step and dialog would likely become a possibility.

Agree. If it became the rule rather than the exception that cops are convicted of and punished for unjust acts, it would be a huge step toward having some meaningful ongoing dialogue between law enforcement and the communities of color that they (are supposed to) serve and protect

You like to make it sound like police officers aren't being charged or convicted for wrongdoing.

But according to the National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project between April 2009 and December 2010 over 3,200 police officers were criminally charged and over 1,000 were convicted.

And while some of your ilk will complain that police officers are not charged and convicted at the same rate as civilians, the difference is a police officer is acting under color and authority of law, which, as it should, gives the benefit of the doubt to the police officer.

Without that you would never get anyone to agree to become a police officer and put his or her life on the line every day. And then what do you have? Exactly what people in the BLM movement want... Anarchy.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 02:28 pm
@giujohn,
I have been detained by police for being in the wrong place when they were looking for a suspect. I just happened to look similar to the woman they were looking for, but since I had no idea why they were questioning me, I sounded like a typical person pretending their innocence. It wasn't until the witness showed up that I was determined not to be the person they were looking for. But this didn't prevent the police from abusing me and being overly aggressive when it wasn't necessary. I didn't even get an apology from how they treated me before it was determined I was not the person they were after.

So yes I can sympathize with a black male walking through his neighborhood when the cops are searching for a suspect and mistake him for one. Then abuse him until they determine his lack of involvement. However, many times the innocent man never gets the chance to clear himself before they kill him. Meanwhile the cops just shrug their shoulders and come up with lied to justify their behavior.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 03:04 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
I have been detained by police for being in the wrong place when they were looking for a suspect. I just happened to look similar to the woman they were looking for,

I do not know you but I have always seemed to think of you as an intellectual hot lady. Out of curiosity and my study of human behavior, I wonder if you are black, brown, white or something in-between
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 06:26 pm

Georgia Deputies Bragged About Targeting Black Drivers—and That's Just 'the Tip of the Iceberg'

Their Facebook messages showed the deputies mocking Martin Luther King, Jr.
By Travis Gettys / Raw Story
October 5, 2016

http://www.alternet.org/human-rights/georgia-deputies-brag-about-police-brutality

Georgia sheriff’s deputy was fired and another abruptly resigned after an investigation revealed their racist and sexist Facebook messages — which showed they apparently targeted black drivers for traffic stops.

The two deputies, identified as Brant Gaither and Jeremy Owens, served on a special traffic unit on the McIntosh County Sheriff’s Department, where they patrolled Interstate 95 between Savannah and Brunswick, reported the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Their Facebook messages showed the deputies mocking the most famous speech by Martin Luther King Jr.

“I have a dream. That one day my people will not act like animals,” Gaither posted, while Owens replied, “Lol. That’ll never happen.”

At least one post suggested they racially profiled black drivers, whom they referred to using racial slurs: “It’s supposed to rain tomorrow,” Owens wrote. “Might not get too many niggs.”

They also joked about a pregnancy test involving fried chicken and mocked victims of domestic violence, the newspaper reported.

The Southern Center for Human Rights sent a lawyer last week to McIntosh County, where they interviewed residents and witnesses who might have interacted with the deputies or have other information about policing practices by the sheriff’s department.

Their investigation “suggests this may be the tip of the iceberg,” said an attorney with the civil rights group.

Gaither was fired July 25, and Owens resigned the following day.

The racist messages were discovered when another deputy was issued Owens’ old computer, which was still linked to his Facebook account.

The deputy showed the communications to Sheriff Stephen Jessup, who said the posts made him “want to throw up.”

Jessup moved quickly to get rid of the deputies, saying their conduct was unacceptable.

“There is no joke about something like that — period,” Jessup told the newspaper. “It’s total racism.”

Prosecutors said some of the cases involving the pair, who worked together until December, could be dismissed, and the sheriff supports that decision.

Owens, who now works as a police officer in Darien, declined to comment, but Gaither insisted just before he was fired that the posts weren’t serious — and that they weren’t isolated incidents.

“It was just a joke, we all do it,” Gaither said, according to an internal investigation.

Gaither was unable to provide any credible evidence that other deputies engaged in similar behavior, according to the internal investigation.

McIntosh County is the setting for the 1991 nonfiction book, “Praying for Sheetrock,” by Melissa Fay Greene, who tells the story of a notorious white sheriff who harassed black residents into the 1970s.

Jessup is facing a re-election challenge from Charles Jones, the black former sheriff he defeated in 2008.

Travis Gettys is an editor for Raw Story.
snood

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 06:28 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Aw, jeez. More "bad apples".