Those were the days: when was America greatest? When was life in the US best?

Real Music

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 07:48 pm
CNN Experiment: Kids speak their minds about race
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 07:49 pm
@Real Music,
That's an interesting subject, because we Japanese Americans have many races and cultures in our family. James Michener calls us the "golden people" in his book "Hawaii."
glitterbag

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 09:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
i read Hawaii years ago. Michener starts out so slow its almost a struggle but he packed so much history in his book its like getting a Masters in Hawaiian history. and you don't have to write a paper you can relax and let his words wash over you and nourish your soul. Love Michener

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 09:41 pm
@glitterbag,
What I love about Michener's writing is you can "see" the environment so clearly as he tells his story.
AC14747

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 09:52 pm
@maporsche,
The problem with your article is that they are discussing drug crimes...I was discussing violent crimes like murder. And you may make the argument that urban areas are more heavily policed, but catching a murderer is catching a murderer...I don't care where they do it more as long as any murderers are being caught.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 09:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, yes, yes. I still remember the beginning of the book when an undersea volcano erupts, erupts again, an island starts to form and a bird dropping plans a seed and well you know the rest. I've read a lot of Michener over the decades and I think I still have the books in my bookcases. I really should pull them out and reread them. One of his shorter books was 'Kent State', It was compelling.
Real Music

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 10:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What did he fight for and give his life for?

1) Unions
2) Redistribution of wealth
3) Vietnam War opposition

Nope. His political ideology was entirely secondary to his fight for equal rights.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I might be a little rusty with history. Although he always fought for equal rights, he did shift his focus to wealth redistribution and opposition to Vietnam War. I believe this shift was occurring in the later years of his life. He was putting a lot more time and energy into these issues in his later years.

glitterbag

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 10:43 pm
@Real Music,
He was 39 years old at the time of his assassination, he never really had later years. He did oppose the Vietnam war and in 1968 opposition to the war had reached a boiling point. The TeT offensive began on January 30, 1968 and it was a blood bath. King was murdered in April of the same year. His opposition to the war was in keeping with his ministry.
Kolyo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 10:54 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

He was 39 years old at the time of his assassination

Wow.

I just looked him up. He did a lot of work in the mid-to-late-50's too.

When he was still in his 20's.

They didn't stress his youth when we studied him in school.
Real Music

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:04 pm
@glitterbag,
What about MLK focusing on wealth redistribution?
AC14747

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:11 pm
@glitterbag,
It's amazing how easily you can lie to cover up your lack of a substantial counter in the discourse.
Not only didn't I misrepresent the facts neither did the article because the facts comes straight from the doj...and you still have not countered those numbers by proving they are false.
AC14747

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:15 pm
@engineer,
I asked for proof that the numbers were false...you give me a dog site that had absolutely nothing to do with this argument. But I get it...you can't discount the numbers and the play book says deflect put them on the defensive.
roger

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:30 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Yes, yes, yes. I still remember the beginning of the book when an undersea volcano erupts, erupts again, an island starts to form and a bird dropping plans a seed and well you know the rest.

I remember. Oh, how do I remember. He had these volcanoes erupting and re erupting and all that. And then? And then? Why, he came up with an earthquake or something and the whole shebang sunk again! I was beginning to think we would never see dry land again. But we did.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:43 pm
@AC14747,
AC14747 wrote:

It's amazing how easily you can lie to cover up your lack of a substantial counter in the discourse.
Not only didn't I misrepresent the facts neither did the article because the facts comes straight from the doj...and you still have not countered those numbers by proving they are false.

You have me confused with someone else. I don't entertain the racist fantasies of skin heads.
0 Replies

AC14747

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Using your link in Chicago for murder arrests, blacks: 200, whites: 76.

How about we take a test...

Questions:

Who is killing blacks in Chicago?

A. The Mafia
B. The Irish
C. The Amish
D. Blacks

Why are blacks killing blacks in Chicago?

A. It's a blood Feud from 150 years ago
B. They're fighting over who has the best recipe for ribs
C. Gang Turf battles and revenge
D. Drugs
E. C&D

If you want to buy illegal drugs where would you go?

A. Disneyland
B. The police station
C. The HOOD
D. Macy's

Who controls the sale of street drugs in Chicago?

A. The Rotarians
B. The Salvation Army
C. Blacks
D. CNN

WARNING:. Telling the truth will get you labeled a racist!

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:02 am
@Real Music,
Just off the top of my head, I don't recall 'wealth distribution' being a component of Kings message. I know his critics thought he wanted to steal from the rich and give to the poor. I'd have to refresh my memory and review the old newspaper reports, but it wasn't as harsh as his opponents would have you believe. I don't know if I can really convey what a dangerous time it was. Obviously for black Americans but also for whites. Ive described things that i saw or experienced as a small child, but a few of our visiting skinheads say I've gotten too old and possibly Im the only living person to have ever seen white and colored water fountains.

My Dad was an air traffic controller after the 2nd world war and they lived in
Greenland, Newfoundland and when I was born, he was stationed in Iceland. By the time we came back to the States and settled in the suburbs of Baltimore, I was blissfully ignorant of racial tensions until the news showed Southern cities turning dogs and water hoses on peaceful protestors. Those images made my mother cry, it was powerful for me. But our recent racists members want to
believe these things never happened. History will sort out what we are all about.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

http://www.msnbc.com/all/mlks-fight-against-economic-inequality#49742
Quote:
Martin Luther King Jr., registering African-Americans to vote in Greenwood, Miss. on July 21, 1964. Jim Bourdier/AP

Four ways Martin Luther King Jr. wanted to battle inequality

01/19/14 04:15 PM—Updated 01/20/14 08:12 AM

By Ned Resnikoff

Today, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is most often remembered as a crusader for racial equality, not economic justice. But those struggles were inextricably intertwined for the civil rights leader, whose 85th birthday is being honored this weekend. Even during his upbringing, as he wrote in 1958 [PDF], he knew “that the inseparable twin of racial injustice was economic injustice.”

Much of King’s career reflects this belief. The famed 1963 March on Washington’s full name was actually the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. And in the last year of his life, King poured most of his energy into launching the Poor People’s Campaign, an organization dedicated to advocating for economic justice.

While Jim Crow laws are long gone, economic inequality—and especially racially stratified inequality—has intensified in recent years. President Barack Obama has even referred to inequality as “the defining challenge of our time.”

Here are some of King’s proposals, many of which seemed radical at the time.

1. Ratify an economic bill of rights

In 1968, members of King’s premier civil rights group, the Southern Christian Leadership Council (SCLC), drafted a letter demanding “an economic and social bill of Rights” that would promise all citizens the right to a job, the right to an adequate education, and the right to a decent house, among others.

“It cannot take more than two centuries for it to occur to this country that there is no real right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for people condemned by the accident of their birth to an existence of hereditary economic and social misery,” wrote the letter’s drafters. While the SCLC was specifically concerned with the ways in which economic inequality perpetuates racial inequality, they made clear that the rights they proposed would apply to all citizens. It sounded radical at the time.

In fact, the effort echoed a proposal made by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt during his 1944 State of the Union Address, when he called for a “second Bill of Rights,” to guarantee all citizens a “useful and remunerative job” and “adequate medical care.

2. Guarantee everyone a basic income, no strings attached

King believed that every person was entitled to a livable income, whether they worked or not. In the 1968 book Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community? he called for unconditional cash transfers to every American citizen. These cash transfers wouldn’t just be enough to scrape by on, either; instead, King thought that a guaranteed income “must be pegged to the median income of society, not at the lowest levels of income.”

At the time that King pitched the idea, a guaranteed income didn’t sound quite as utopian as it does now. Even President Richard Nixon had a basic income proposal called the Family Assistance Plan, which he unveiled to the nation in 1969. Nixon’s plan failed in part because some on the left thought his offer of $1,600 per year for each family of four was not ambitious enough.

Other countries have since experimented with a guaranteed income closer to the kind King advocated. The people of Switzerland will soon be voting on a referendum to guarantee every Swiss citizen a monthly check worth $2,800 USD.

3. Build a powerful labor movement

King spent much of his career working with labor unions, while also working to push them in a more radical direction. At the time of his assassination, he was campaigning in Memphis, Tenn., on behalf of the city’s striking sanitation workers. He delivered his final address, the famous “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop” speech, to a crowd of predominantly black sanitation workers and supporters of their right to form a union.

The 1968 Memphis strike was not the first time King had reached out directly to the labor movement. He had been delivering speeches before crowds of union members for years, calling for greater cooperation between the civil rights movement and the labor movement.

“The labor movement was the principal force that transformed misery and despair into hope and progress,” he told the Illinois State AFL-CIO in 1965. “Out of its bold struggles, economic and social reform gave birth to unemployment insurance, old-age pensions, government relief for the destitute, and, above all, new wage levels that meant not mere survival but a tolerable life.”

But that same year, King also chided the labor movement of his time for failing to wholly embrace the civil rights movement and racial equality.

“Its sporadic and limited support has been welcome, but in relation to its essential strength, labor has made inconsequential contributions to civil rights,” he told AFL-CIO New York City District 65. “As the struggle unfolds in the north where labor is particularly strong, its omissions will become more evident and embarrassing.”

King’s answer to dealing with labor’s “apathy” wasn’t to abandon unions, but instead to nudge them towards greater social activism and militancy.

“The labor movement, if it is to remain vital, needs to raise the standard of living of all workers, not merely those under its contracts,” he said. “As the relative number of workers in unions drops, the strength of labor will fail if it does not become a social force pressing for greater dimensions of wealth for all those who labor.”

4. Guarantee a job to anyone who can work

The very first right to be enumerated in the SCLC’s economic bill of rights was “[t]he Right of every employable citizen to a decent job.” In addition to a guaranteed income for everyone, those who were willing and able to work would be guaranteed a job.

“I hope that a specific number of jobs is set forth, that a program will emerge to abolish unemployment, and that there will be another program to supplement the income of those whose earnings are below the poverty level,” King wrote shortly before his death.

In recent years, some academics have taken up this call again. Most notably, economists at University of Missouri-Kansas City and Bard College, as well as Duke University public policy professor William Darity Jr., have argued in favor of a government program that would create public sector jobs for anyone who isn’t already employed. A recent poll found that 47% of respondents were at least somewhat sympathetic to the idea.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 02:03 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

He was 39 years old at the time of his assassination

Wow.

I just looked him up. He did a lot of work in the mid-to-late-50's too.

When he was still in his 20's.

They didn't stress his youth when we studied him in school.

Thats too bad, although depending on the age of the students 39 might sound like old age.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 06:41 am
@AC14747,
AC14747 wrote:

I asked for proof that the numbers were false...you give me a dog site that had absolutely nothing to do with this argument.

You mean the official Bureau of Justice Statistics website, the US government site that collects crime stats? To discuss a debate about crime stats?
AC14747

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 08:55 am
@engineer,
Don't be so disingenuous the link you provided allows you to check the arrest rate for individual cities... one at a time for a given year so it is of no use in this argument. I'm still waiting for you to dispute the numbers that I provided to you which shows that for a population of only 13% of the total they are disproportionately represented in large numbers for violent crime. Let me give you a hint you're not going to be able to dispute those numbers with any type of factual counter. Because they are what they are and y'all just aren't willing to accept it for fear of being called a racist.