Why Black Lives Still Matter

tony5732

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 08:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Ok that's a case for trump being a racist, not what blacks have to lose by voting for him. There is a difference. If Trump gets into office nobody really knows what will actually happen.

Trump doesn't owe money or favors and he is not part of the establishment and he doesn't have a last name legacy, or a political history, or political experience in general.

Hillary gets into office we DO know what will happen. She will spend money we don't have, start social programs we can't afford so people get free stuff and vote her in a second term and continue spending money we still don't have so the Democrat party can buy more votes and continue to run us a couple more trillion dollars in the hole. She will lie when she can and tell the truth when it's convenient. That's a Democrat.
hingehead

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 08:32 pm
@tony5732,
what a completely awesome reason to vote for someone 'We don't know what will happen'.

Gee, we should ask him. But he won't tell us, or his story changes each time.

Trump doesn't have a last name legacy? JFC! It's his entire business model.

You aren't one of the world's deep thinkers are you?

glitterbag

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 09:06 pm
@hingehead,
At 11PM or 23;00 hours EST news outlets report Colin Powell email's calling Trump a national disgrace, and the birther movement 99% racist. And just to put a cherry on top, he calls Trump a global pariah.

cicerone imposter

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 10:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Yup. Saw that on tv tonight, and Colin Powell's words carries a lot of weight in this country. He's not only a war hero, but he continues to be highly respected.
glitterbag

Tue 13 Sep, 2016 10:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have a great deal of respect for Colin Powell.
hingehead

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 05:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
Even weirder, Powell is highly respected Republican.

Remember his 'pottery shop rules' warning to GWB?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 06:12 am
@tony5732,
Quote:
Re: bobsal u1553115 (Post 6266291)
Ok that's a case for trump being a racist, not what blacks have to lose by voting for him.

You wrote that without breaking your wrist??????

Why would electing tRump a documented racist be at least even money for PoC, but electing Clinton with no record of racism be disastrous?

When Wilson, a racist, became President he segregated the US and brought on Jim Crow after which it got even worse during Coolidge and Hoover.

And yes, I know - Wilson was a southern Democrat.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 06:14 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Re: cicerone imposter (Post 6266755)
I have a great deal of respect for Colin Powell.

Me, too. Except for that My Lai thing.
ossobucotemp

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 08:59 am
@bobsal u1553115,
PoC?
cicerone imposter

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 11:38 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Facts about My Lai Massacre.
Quote:
Wiki Loves Monuments: The world's largest photography competition is now open! Photograph a historic site, learn more about our history, and win prizes.
My Lai Massacre
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the massacre. For the hamlet called Mỹ Lai, see Sơn Mỹ. For the documentary, see My Lai (film).
Mỹ Lai Massacre
Thảm sát Mỹ Lai
My Lai massacre.jpg
Location Son My village, Sơn Tịnh District of South Vietnam
Coordinates 15°10′42″N 108°52′10″ECoordinates: 15°10′42″N 108°52′10″E
Date March 16, 1968
Target My Lai 4 and My Khe 4 hamlets
Attack type
Massacre
Deaths 347 according to the United States Army (not including My Khe killings), others estimate more than 400 killed and injuries are unknown, Vietnamese government lists 504 killed in total from both My Lai and My Khe
Perpetrators Task force from the United States Army Americal Division
2LT. William Calley (convicted and then released by President Nixon to serve house arrest for two years)
[hide] v t e
Massacres of the Vietnam War
Huế Châu Đốc Bình An/Tây Vinh Binh Tai Tinh Son Bình Hòa Phong Nhị and Phong Nhất Hà My Đắk Sơn My Lai
Tiger Force Operation Speedy Express Winter Soldier Investigation Vietnam War Crimes Working Group
The Mỹ Lai Massacre (Vietnamese: thảm sát Mỹ Lai [tʰɐ̃ːm ʂɐ̌ːt mǐˀ lɐːj], [mǐˀlɐːj] ( listen); /ˌmiːˈlaɪ/, /ˌmiːˈleɪ/, or /ˌmaɪˈlaɪ/)[1] was the Vietnam War mass killing of between 347 and 504 unarmed civilians in South Vietnam on March 16, 1968. It was committed by U.S. Army soldiers from the Company C of the 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 11th Brigade of the 23rd (Americal) Infantry Division. Victims included men, women, children, and infants. Some of the women were gang-raped and their bodies mutilated.[2][3] Twenty-six soldiers were charged with criminal offenses, but only Lieutenant William Calley Jr., a platoon leader in C Company, was convicted. Found guilty of killing 22 villagers, he was originally given a life sentence, but served only three and a half years under house arrest.

The massacre, which was later called "the most shocking episode of the Vietnam War",[4] took place in two hamlets of Sơn Mỹ village in Quảng Ngãi Province.[5] These hamlets were marked on the U.S. Army topographic maps as My Lai and My Khe.[6] The U.S. military codeword for the alleged Viet Cong stronghold in that area was Pinkville,[7] and the carnage was initially referred to as the Pinkville Massacre.[8][9] Later, when the U.S. Army started its investigation, the media changed it to the Massacre at Songmy.[10] Currently, the event is referred to as the My Lai Massacre in the United States and called the Sơn Mỹ Massacre in Vietnam.

The incident prompted global outrage when it became public knowledge in November 1969. The My Lai massacre increased to some extent[11] domestic opposition to the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War when the scope of killing and cover-up attempts were exposed. Initially, three U.S. servicemen who had tried to halt the massacre and rescue the hiding civilians were shunned, and even denounced as traitors by several U.S. Congressmen, including Mendel Rivers, Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee. Only after thirty years were they recognized and decorated, one posthumously, by the U.S. Army for shielding non-combatants from harm in a war zone.[12] Along with the No Gun Ri massacre in Korea twenty years earlier, My Lai was one of the largest single massacres of civilians by U.S. forces in the 20th century.[13]

Atrocities have been committed by every country in every war.
hingehead

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 06:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He's not only a war hero

(who didn't get captured...)
0 Replies

tony5732

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:06 pm
@hingehead,
Well, you can play Russian roulette, or shoot yourself. Pretty simple concept, no deep thinking required.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:06 pm
@ossobucotemp,
People of color.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Colin Powell and the 1968 massacre of 347 Vietnamese at My Lai....

http://www.consortiumnews.com/archive/colin3.html

There are very specific reasons why Powell will never run for President of either major US political party. One of them is his participation in the cover-up of the My Lai massacre in Vietnam in 1968.

Behind Colin Powell's Legend -- My Lai

QUOTES:

On March 16, 1968, a bloodied unit of the Americal division stormed into a hamlet known as My Lai 4. With military helicopters circling overhead, revenge-seeking American soldiers rousted Vietnamese civilians -- mostly old men, women and children -- from their thatched huts and herded them into the village's irrigation ditches.

As the round-up continued, some Americans raped the girls. Then, under orders from junior officers on the ground, soldiers began emptying their M-16s into the terrified peasants. Some parents desperately used their bodies to try to shield their children from the bullets. Soldiers stepped among the corpses to finish off the wounded.

The slaughter raged for four hours. A total of 347 Vietnamese, including babies, died in the carnage that would stain the reputation of the U.S. Army. But there also were American heroes that day in My Lai. Some soldiers refused to obey the direct orders to kill.

As the assistant chief of operations for the Americal Division (23rd Infantry Division), Major Colin Powell put the final nail into the My Lai cover-up.....

After that cursory investigation, Powell drafted a response on Dec. 13, 1968. He admitted to no pattern of wrongdoing. Powell claimed that U.S. soldiers in Vietnam were taught to treat Vietnamese courteously and respectfully. The Americal troops also had gone through an hour-long course on how to treat prisoners of war under the Geneva Conventions, Powell noted.

Oh, by the way, that was Powell's SECOND tour in Vietnam. His first tour consisted of the following activities:

QUOTE:

In 1963, Capt. Colin Powell was one of those advisers, serving a first tour with a South Vietnamese army unit. Powell's detachment sought to discourage support for the Viet Cong by torching villages throughout the A Shau Valley. While other U.S. advisers protested this countrywide strategy as brutal and counter-productive, Powell defended the "drain-the-sea" approach then -- and continued that defense in his 1995 memoirs, My American Journey.
tony5732

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't really think Trump is racist. There is a STRONG case that says he is, and there a lot of really good reasons why people think he is racist, but I honestly think he just likes money.

Let's say he's a racist though. He's still better than Clinton. Clinton, whether you want to call her racist or not, has 100% chance of taking us in the wrong direction. She is attached to a long line of government politicians (Republican and Democrat) who have been driving this country into a hole for years. There is NO reason to assume Hillary would do anything different than cater to the same organizations that fund big-wig politicians, push the same failing ideas, and drive us into a further hole.

There is NO telling what Trump is actually going to do. In my opinion, it's better to go with a bet you might not win than a bet you know you will lose. Give an outsider a shot, nobody else has been doing it right.
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:29 pm
@tony5732,
Quote:
Well, you can play Russian roulette, or shoot yourself. Pretty simple concept, no deep thinking required.

Sorry Tony, I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
cicerone imposter

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal, Thanks for bringing to daylight Powell's shameful acts in Vietnam. It has modified my respect for the man. We spent much time in Saigon, and all the Vietnamese treated us well; they were always friendly at the hotel, shops and restaurants. They also have a very good museum in Saigon, "The War Remnants Museum." They have US armaments including planes, bombs, and many pictures taken by Japanese photojournalists.
We have traveled from Hanoi down to Saigon, and we saw none of the destruction of the war in the cities and villages we visited. The platform where the helicopters saved many people was still there.
One of my favorite places was Hoi An, an old village on the east coast where Japanese and Chinese businesses flourished at one time.
My memory is fading very quickly at my age, and I know I'm missing telling of some interesting things we experienced there.
0 Replies

tony5732

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:40 pm
@hingehead,
I am saying Clinton is a guaranteed fail. (Loaded revolver). Trump is a wild card (Half loaded revolver). You have no choice but to put one gun to your head and pull the trigger (deal with Clinton or Trump). I choose the half loaded revolver. (Trump)
cicerone imposter

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:57 pm
@tony5732,
I have another description for Trump. He's a thin skinned, racial bigot, no depth of knowledge in foreign affairs, and has no clue about our Constitution.
His wall will cost tens of billions of dollars just to build it, and the upkeep will be horrendous.
Hillary has devoted her life for women and children. Trump devoted his life to scam others. Ever hear of Trump University? It was not a university.
Your choice isn't a half loaded revolver. It's his finger on the nuke button.
ossobucotemp

Wed 14 Sep, 2016 08:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
That's what I guessed, but that didn't make sense to me in the sentence structure, and the acronym has a bunch of other online explanations. Eh, never mind.
0 Replies