Why Black Lives Still Matter

snood

Thu 22 Sep, 2016 07:49 pm
Why do you guys keep feeding this bottomless troll?
hingehead

Thu 22 Sep, 2016 07:50 pm
@snood,
In case some idiot thinks that no response is tacit agreement.
giujohn

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 07:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You think calling someone a homosexual is an insult. That's your bigotry in a nutshell.

Yes... where I come from calling somebody a prostitute isn't in so but then again hey I guess you guys over there in Britain have different 'values" or lack thereof.
0 Replies

hingehead

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 04:33 pm
Terry Crutcher's killer charged with manslaughter and now this:

ATLANTA OFFICER KILLS BLACK WOMAN, INJURES CHILD, FOLLOWING BREASTFEEDING ARGUMENT

http://baltimoregazette.com/atlanta-officer-kills-black-woman-following-breastfeeding-argument/
ossobucotemp

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 04:42 pm
@hingehead,
Cripes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 04:54 pm
@hingehead,
what the hell is going on there?

it's like watching an entire country go insane

__

I don't actually think it's everyone but I'd sure like to see more non-POC become publicly active.
ossobucotemp

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 04:58 pm
@ehBeth,
more ****, this time Boston adjacent - there was a link in that article -

http://thebostontribune.com/boston-police-officer-kills-black-man-marijuana-cigarette/
ehBeth

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 05:01 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Do American police not know how to shoot to disarm/disable vs shoot to kill?
snood

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Do American police not know how to shoot to disarm/disable vs shoot to kill?

Well, that's a problem. All firearms training that I know of teaches people to shoot to "stop the threat". They don't say "shoot to kill", but that's the general idea. They tell you to "aim for center mass" and fire until there is no more threat. I've never heard of any firearms instructor teaching anyone to "wing" someone, or to "shoot to disable".
ehBeth

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 05:14 pm
@snood,
We hear a lot about de-escalation training here - and police get annual refreshers on that. Is it commonly done in the US?

I'd heard something about an American city bringing in Canadian (and other) trainers for that, but I can't seem to track it down.
ossobucotemp

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 05:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Apparently not, I think that's not a working concept, unless the person is pale. Not that I know, maybe different police regimes vary.

I don't know what is going on these days with hispanics and the police but figure there is trouble there too. I know Albuquerque is a famous mess, but I'm not my old agitating self for personal reasons at this point.

I'm odd, have long liked: first, mysteries by British authors, and then moving on to authors from all over the place re police and legal procedurals. As I've said before, I liked Blue Blood by Edward Conlon; it's his memoir re being a NYC cop. (Just now, I took it out of the GoodWill carton). But I've long not understood shoot to kill as the immediate mode.

Top down..
ehBeth

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 05:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKoSEV5ByXV/
ossobucotemp

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 05:42 pm
@ehBeth,
very good point by Isaac Hayes III. Good catch by him.

We seem to have an escalating whole culture of blowing thugs (pardon me, that is the ongoing jargon) up.

Top down.
ehBeth

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 05:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
It was the same thing at the time of the capture of the Boston Marathon bomber. One of them seems to have inadvertently killed the other - and then he was captured alive.

All I can think is that ME bombers aren't black enough to kill.
ossobucotemp

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
That's a concept that hadn't occurred to me.

Did I ever mention I don't like bombs? Family history...
0 Replies

snood

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 06:26 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

We hear a lot about de-escalation training here - and police get annual refreshers on that. Is it commonly done in the US?

I'd heard something about an American city bringing in Canadian (and other) trainers for that, but I can't seem to track it down.

Yes, but de-escalation training has to do with trying to "talk down" the situation to cool emotions and avoid getting physical (or using a weapon).
Specifically, it's called the "Use of Force Continuum", and it's pretty standard.
It goes like this:
1 - Officer Presence - the idea that the mere presence of an armed officer deters crime and diffuses a situation
2- Verbalization - issuing calm, nonthreatening commands (let me see some form of i.d., etc)
3- Empty-Hand Control
a. Soft technique - holds and grabs
b. hard technique - punches, strikes, kicks
4- Less-than-Lethal Methods
a. blunt impact
b. chemical
c. taser device
5- Lethal Force - only if life or limb of officer or others is threatened

American Cops seem to get to Level Five very quickly when the suspect is a black man.
giujohn

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 07:00 pm
@snood,
Quote:
American Cops seem to get to Level Five very quickly when the suspect is a black man

Spoken like a true race-baiter.
Fortunately the statistics don't back you up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 07:25 pm
@snood,
I'd like to find the statistics on how often the lower levels are used. The reports we hear from retired police from the US certainly aren't encouraging.
McGentrix

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 11:19 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Terry Crutcher's killer charged with manslaughter and now this:

ATLANTA OFFICER KILLS BLACK WOMAN, INJURES CHILD, FOLLOWING BREASTFEEDING ARGUMENT

http://baltimoregazette.com/atlanta-officer-kills-black-woman-following-breastfeeding-argument/

Based on this account, that's straight up murder and I hope he goes away for the rest of his life. Will be interesting to see if there is video footage.
hingehead

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 04:43 am
@McGentrix,
Well there's a bunch of eyewitness accounts. Probably that counts for something.
0 Replies