Why Black Lives Still Matter

tony5732

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 10:48 am
@ehBeth,
Oh god yes. Once you have people working, interacting, functioning at the same places that becomes the norm. It really does work like that. Even in our police force we have that. There will always be exceptions to every rule, such as a racist, but for the most part it works. Now once you highlight a part of that group and give them special attention, everyone wants attention. Right now BLM put race back into everyday conversation, everyday tv, etc. Now this is a thing again.
tony5732

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 10:55 am
@glitterbag,
Well maybe the problem is that you are old enough to remember actual racist government. It seems to be hard for some senior citizens to keep up with the times. Sundown towns dont exist, there aren't anymore segregated bathrooms and our first black president is just finishing his second term. Mission accomplished like 30 years ago.

ehBeth

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 11:40 am
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:
Right now BLM put race back into everyday conversation, everyday tv, etc.

back?
back into conversation?

Racism has never left the conversation - at least not on Earth.
tony5732

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Not like it is now. The KKK faded a long time ago, and I don't remember the last time before BLM that racist hate groups were even big enough to make the news like this, more less make the news almost daily.
reasoning logic

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 01:13 am
What do the KKK, Corinne Brown and Hillary Clinton have in common?

0 Replies

hingehead

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:25 am
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4b/03/13/4b0313f889c99f5fb3ddd35ee0c42078.jpg
MontereyJack

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 02:08 pm
@tony5732,
I commend to your attention the voter suppression laws that a number of GOP-controlled states have recently enacted which despite their protestations target minority voters. The appeals court judeg who struck down the NC law said it targeted minority voters "with almost surgical precision". That's "racism in government"
to use your phrase, boyo. Racism is still alive and disgusting in the US, you're wrong.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 03:40 pm
@tony5732,
You really seem to have no idea.

That America's significant ongoing racism is in the media now is a good thing. White people need to face up to it. Just because they didn't talk about it doesn't mean it went away.
ehBeth

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 03:51 pm
@hingehead,
this can't be said often enough

hingehead wrote:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4b/03/13/4b0313f889c99f5fb3ddd35ee0c42078.jpg
0 Replies

tony5732

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 05:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Well I would say it was sure as hell going in the right direction. Now its not. Now every time you turn on the news you see a giant swarm of black people messing up everyone's day, you see white cops getting picked off with sniper rifles, you see a group of black people looking for white people to beat up. How do you think this is moving Americas level of racism in the right direction

. The sad part is that a lot of people are getting sucked into this mentality that BLM even represents blacks. It doesn't. BLM is doing for black people in America what 9/11 did for Muslims. Nothing good.
MontereyJack

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 07:41 pm
@tony5732,
You sound exactly, and I do mean exactly, like the people who dissed the civil rights movement of the 60s. They were wrong then. You're wrong now. You don't actually know any African Americans, do you? If you do, you've clearly never had any meaningful conversation with them.
glitterbag

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 08:15 pm
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

Well I would say it was sure as hell going in the right direction. Now its not. Now every time you turn on the news you see a giant swarm of black people messing up everyone's day, you see white cops getting picked off with sniper rifles, you see a group of black people looking for white people to beat up. How do you think this is moving Americas level of racism in the right direction

. The sad part is that a lot of people are getting sucked into this mentality that BLM even represents blacks. It doesn't. BLM is doing for black people in America what 9/11 did for Muslims. Nothing good.

The view you express is nothing short of appalling. It's laughable you think my shortcoming is I've lived too long, but in sad ways that might be true because I never thought I would run into this kind of casual white power bullshit on a forum that is not devoted to skinheads in the 21st century. I hope I never expressed or held such nonsense views when I was as young as you think you are. You are a cautionary tale for parents.

reasoning logic

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 09:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I've lived too long, but in sad ways that might be true because I never thought I would run into this kind of casual white power bullshit on a forum that is not devoted to skinheads in the 21st century. I hope I never expressed or held such nonsense views when I was as young

You may be older than the rocks beside you but I do not remember you running into this kind of casual white power bullshit on a forum that is not devoted to skinheads in the 21st century.
Even so you have come across as one who has less ethical interest than them at times.
tony5732

Sun 11 Sep, 2016 04:41 am
@MontereyJack,
The civil rights movement didn't involve sniping police officers or blowing up gas stations. And yes I know lots of black people. I work with them and have worked with black people and drank with black people all my life. The civil rights movement didn't involve assassinating police officers, and black people didn't have civil rights. They have civil rights now. Also there were black heroes that did things the right way to make changes, and it wasn't the people on the streets robbing crap that got it done. Michael Jackson made changes, Martin Luther King made changes, Bob Marley made changes. Pretty much every black person who broke the stereotype and became great made changes and moved things forward. It wasn't done by the assassination of white police officers and burning gas stations with people inside. It wasn't done by robbing liquor stores.
MontereyJack

Sun 11 Sep, 2016 07:05 am
@tony5732,
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. The riots in many cities, notably Watts in LA were going on at precisely the same time and were a result of years of unequal treatment and pentup fury being acted out, and yes many stores were burned in them. Now, as then, you have a lot of independent actors, some of whom take violent means. BLM doesn't condone them or encourage them. Other hot topics like abortion, also get people killed, where you get the zealots who go out, shoot up clinics and murder doctors who perform abortions. The anti-abortiong groups disclaim all responsibility for them and maintain that their rhetoric was not a contributing factor, and the right refuses to hold them responsible. Same with BLM except racism, as has been well-documented, DOES still exist and permeates black-white relations still, perhaps not as virulent as it once was, but still poisoning the air.
ehBeth

Sun 11 Sep, 2016 07:14 am
@tony5732,
Your casual acceptance of racism is frightening for America.
glitterbag

Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:18 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
I've lived too long, but in sad ways that might be true because I never thought I would run into this kind of casual white power bullshit on a forum that is not devoted to skinheads in the 21st century. I hope I never expressed or held such nonsense views when I was as young

You may be older than the rocks beside you but I do not remember you running into this kind of casual white power bullshit on a forum that is not devoted to skinheads in the 21st century.
Even so you have come across as one who has less ethical interest than them at times.

Perhaps because this is not a 'white power' forum, but the occasional racist still arrives to warm us of BLM. It's too bad you have distorted my comments. That does seem to be par for the course for you, I can't tell if you are just befuddled or you intentionally mischaracterize others comments.

If you want to use English in a way that others will understand, here's a few handy tips:
People have ethics, actions and people can be unethical or ethical, you can say someone has no ethics, but when you say 'one who has less ethical interest than 'et al'' you are not speaking English and are mangling the definitions. 'Ethic' is not an adjective. You should examine your own ethics before you malign others.
reasoning logic

Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:35 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
If you want to use English in a way that others will understand, here's a few handy tips:
People have ethics, actions and people can be unethical or ethical, you can say someone has no ethics, but when you say 'one who has less ethical interest than 'et al'' you are not speaking English and are mangling the definitions. 'Ethic' is not an adjective. You should examine your own ethics before you malign others.

Ethics seem to have more value to me than speaking or writing proper English.

Logic easily allows one to understand simple spelling and or English mistakes.
Does it make you feel good to correct other people's mistakes? You do realize that even you make these simple mistakes.

Quote:
Perhaps because this is not a 'white power' forum, but the occasional racist still arrives to warm us of BLM.
glitterbag

Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:49 am
@reasoning logic,
Yes, we all make mistakes. Are you under the impression that you can say insulting things to other posters without some push back? It you can't handle the inevitable, try to avoid behaving like a complete tool.
reasoning logic

Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:54 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Are you under the impression that you can say insulting things to other posters without some push back?

Not at all. I think quite often we just simply misunderstand each others intentions.