Kerry is world favorite by 2-1 margin

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:11 am
If Foreigners Could Vote For Kerry

Quote:
Of all the polls that have been released recently, there is one that is so lopsided it makes this Presidential campaign look like a one-horse race.

Senator Kerry would win by a huge margin if the people questioned in this poll could vote in November. But of course they can't because the poll was carried out in 35 other countries around the world. The survey, reported in London's Financial Times, was carried out by the public opinion group Globescan, in conjunction with the University of Maryland. The results are stunning. In 30 of these countries, the public prefers Senator Kerry over President Bush by a two-one-margin.

Only three countries preferred Bush - Poland, Nigeria and the Philippines. In two others, India and Thailand, the public was split 50-50. But in Western Europe, America's traditional allies, only 10 per cent of Germans backed Bush. In France, it was 5 per cent. I cannot recall any other American Presidential election where world opinion was so one-sided.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,911 • Replies: 135
No top replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:38 am
I know I'd vote for Kerry if I could.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 05:30 am
Get out those overseas ballots!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:10 am
I can just imagine the reaction that Kerry is favored by the world over Bush by certain posters.

In my opinion it matters a lot what the world thinks of our President. In spite of the way some think, we cannot live in this world without friends and allies.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:34 am
If the world wants Kerry, that is reason enough for me to vote Bush.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:44 am
woiyo wrote:
If the world wants Kerry, that is reason enough for me to vote Bush.

case in point.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:58 am
Let me see if I understand this...

Diversity is a good thing, as long as we toe the line and do what everybody else wants.

Sorry - I don't buy it.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:14 am
Revel - Sorry to be the one to tell you this but nations do not have allies and friends. They have INTERESTS. We share common interests with England and Canada and many other nations. As soon as those interest conflict with the US interests, guess what, we are no longer allies.

The utopia you pacifists live in of "Buying the World a Coke and Singing in perfect Harmony" NEVER EXISTED!!!

The main reason the "world" likes Kerry is due to his indecisivness and their feeling that THEY can get MORE from the US.

Think about it.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:21 am
The American people prefer President Bush on points of honesty, strength and on which candidate would do better creating jobs. That's what matters to me and the only polls I care about are American polls.

It would be mildly interesting to see a poll on what the average American thinks about the dictator-loving Chirac, though.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:28 am
woiyo wrote:
Revel - Sorry to be the one to tell you this but nations do not have allies and friends. They have INTERESTS. We share common interests with England and Canada and many other nations. As soon as those interest conflict with the US interests, guess what, we are no longer allies.

The utopia you pacifists live in of "Buying the World a Coke and Singing in perfect Harmony" NEVER EXISTED!!!

The main reason the "world" likes Kerry is due to his indecisivness and their feeling that THEY can get MORE from the US.

Think about it.

That's bull!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:47 am
Montana - Give me a hint....Bull what?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:51 am
JustWonders wrote:
The American people prefer President Bush on points of honesty, strength and on which candidate would do better creating jobs. That's what matters to me and the only polls I care about are American polls.

It would be mildly interesting to see a poll on what the average American thinks about the dictator-loving Chirac, though.

Only half the American people prefer Bush.

As for creating jobs, no need to even go there.

I personally do not care too much for Chirac but not for the same reasons that you seem not care for him.

I disagree with his policies regarding freedom of expression of religion. (not allowing Muslim women to wear veils...)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:58 am
woiyo wrote:

Think about it.

You haven't been the first to express those sentiments and I have thought about it. Thanks for the suggestions however.

We are fighting a war on terror where there are terrorist in those countries that the Bush administration and the rest of the talking heads have ticked off in some way or another. We need the corporation in those countries so that we can keep our country a little safer. We need those countries to be our side so that when they learn of terrorist plots on American soil, they will earnestly investigate it and put the terrorist in jail so that they can't carry out their plans. That serves our best interest and it is stupid in the extreme not to keep that in mind.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:58 am
What about the Muslim (some sects, not all) opposition to your breathing air? Does that bother you?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:00 am
McGentrix wrote:
What about the Muslim (some sects, not all) opposition to your breathing air? Does that bother you?[/quote

McGentrix, should we do wrong for wrong? Should we punish all for the actions of a few? There are a few more lines I could probably come up with, but I think you should get my point.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:14 am
We should punish those that are guilty. If others want to protect the guilty, then they become casualties as well.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:42 am
[/QUOTE]We are fighting a war on terror where there are terrorist in those countries that the Bush administration and the rest of the talking heads have ticked off in some way or another. We need the corporation in those countries so that we can keep our country a little safer. We need those countries to be our side so that when they learn of terrorist plots on American soil, they will earnestly investigate it and put the terrorist in jail so that they can't carry out their plans. That serves our best interest and it is stupid in the extreme not to keep that in mind.
Quote:

Which allied countires have we "pissed" off who have terrorists within their boarders will will suddenly NOT cooperate in the "WAR ON TERROR"? Syria? Are you going to suggest SPAIN's Govt will no longer work with the US Intelligence Agencies to protect THEIR INTERESTS? Just because SPAIN no longer supports our efforts in Iraq does not mean they will no longer work with the US in the intelligence aspect of the "WAR ON TERROR"?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
McGentrix wrote:
We should punish those that are guilty. If others want to protect the guilty, then they become casualties as well.

How about if others just happen to live near, work near, or share the same religion as the guilty? Don't you think that there might be many people now who believe that the US government is opposed to them breathing air?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:59 am
That's why we used precision weaponry and take as much care as possible when striking targets instead of indiscriminatly blowing up busses or crashing airplanes into civilian targets.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:05 am
woiyo wrote:
We are fighting a war on terror where there are terrorist in those countries that the Bush administration and the rest of the talking heads have ticked off in some way or another. We need the corporation in those countries so that we can keep our country a little safer. We need those countries to be our side so that when they learn of terrorist plots on American soil, they will earnestly investigate it and put the terrorist in jail so that they can't carry out their plans. That serves our best interest and it is stupid in the extreme not to keep that in mind.
Quote:

Which allied countires have we "pissed" off who have terrorists within their boarders will will suddenly NOT cooperate in the "WAR ON TERROR"? Syria? Are you going to suggest SPAIN's Govt will no longer work with the US Intelligence Agencies to protect THEIR INTERESTS? Just because SPAIN no longer supports our efforts in Iraq does not mean they will no longer work with the US in the intelligence aspect of the "WAR ON TERROR"?

I believe that you are being obtuse. It is simply not helpful to treat other nations as though they are "old world" and so are now irrelevant if they have beliefs different than yours. Spain was once a part of the "coalition of the willing."

Right now those countries are with us on the war on terror because maybe they simply do not want to punish everyone for the arrogance of the Bush administration. However, that may not last forever.

Take the whole situation of the Iraq fiasco. When we thought we could do it without strong allies (as opposed to allies that although helpful do not have money and resources that we need so we don't have to foot all of the bill) we were real big on sounding tough and mean. But when reality set in and it became clear that Iraq did not go as smooth and effortless and the Bush administration thought it would, suddenly we tried to get those countries that we brushed off as old world to help in the effort. They were not there and who can blame them.

If we went about the whole Iraq thing in a different way that was not so arrogant and waiting until the inspections were done and so fourth, maybe it would not be in the same shape as today and that is why it is in our best interest to not just brush off the rest of the world.
0 Replies