Will Donald Trump Be Afraid To Debate Hillary Clinton?

Baldimo

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 02:19 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Exactamundo.
Well, I'm hoping a couple of the moderators have some spine, but I won't be surprised if they just roll over and lob softballs.

I'm wondering what type of questions? Will it be media BS or will it actually be policy related? Knowing out media it will be mostly media flamed BS, with a few good gotcha questions to generate buzz. Barnum himself couldn't have created a better show.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 08:15 pm
Bill Maher tonight, on the debates:
The bar is set so low for Trump it's like having a spelling bee with a Basset hound. Well, she knew all the words! Yeah, but it was pretty impressive that dog didn't **** on the floor.
0 Replies

Real Music

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 09:39 pm
Donald Chump already complaining about upcoming debate. I hope Donald Chump will at least wait until after the debate before he starts crying like a baby.
giujohn

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 09:36 am
@Real Music,
Seems to me that Hillary's doing some of her own complaining saying that she wants a step stool so she can be as tall is Donald Trump... I wonder what she's going to do if she's president and she has to stand next to some of the other world leaders... Is she going to demand a step stool then too?

I wonder what the feminists think about that. Hillary's seems to think she needs a step stool in order to compete with a man.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 10:40 am
@Real Music,
I think the Donald can ctuqlly win the debate becquse Clinton is used to operating under debate "Rules" and not the rantings of an ADHD opponent.
edgarblythe

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 12:06 pm
@farmerman,
"Those facts are wrong, Donald, and I can prove it. Here are the facts -"
"You ought to be in jail, not running for president."
"If you will let me talk -"
"You and Bill stole billions and did it on the backs of workers."
"Let me give my answer, Donald."
"I understand, Mr Moderator. I will try to still my outrage for this criminal."
"The fact s are -"
"Look at her sweating because she hates to hear the truth -"
snood

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 01:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hear you, Ed, and I think there's a possibility that Donald is allowed to run rampant and show his proverbial behind.
But it's also true that he's rattled by strong women. He's never had to debate a strong woman head-to-head. And Hillary has a lot of experience with men acting like jerks. She might benefit if she's underestimated.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 09:58 am
Fox News Is Still Angry Over Candy Crowley's Benghazi Fact-Check In 2012

Quote:
Fox host Steve Doocy, while previewing the upcoming 2016 presidential debates, falsely claimed CNN's Candy Crowley "was wrong" when she fact-checked then-Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney in a 2012 debate. Doocy, discussing a September 22 conversation with Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump where Trump said he didn't want fact-checking, said Crowley was incorrect to tell Romney he was wrong when he claimed that Obama waited “14 days before he called the attack in Benghazi an act of terror.” Trump in that September 22 conversation also claimed Crowley was wrong. In fact, Crowley's claim was correct. Doocy's claim comes as Trump has been trying to influence the debate moderators by claiming they will be "rigged" against him and praising Fox host and debate moderator Chris Wallace's promise not to fact-check the candidates. From the September 23 edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends:
0 Replies

revelette2

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:15 am
The Bar Gets Lower: Media Reinforce Double Standard For Trump Ahead Of First Debate

Quote:
RICK TYLER: The debate could in this sense could be problematic for him. Particularly, and I don't know what Lester Holt is going to do, but if we got into deep specifics on issues, Hillary Clinton should shine there. And Donald Trump usually stays on the mountaintops with big, broad statements, but that voting segment that he’s losing now to the Democrats, they really are interested in policy, they really are interested in specifics. They want to know exactly what you're going to do. They want to chew on it and think about it. And he's not offering it to them.

KAI WRIGHT: The reality is, the appeal of Donald Trump is if you are afraid or you feel a sense of loss, that is a message that is powerful. And college-educated white men are not feeling those things right now. And so that's his challenge.

ANDREA MITCHELL: But the other real risk for him is that if he comes out bombastically and performing and insulting her and bullying her, and pulling a Rick Lazio is the way I phrase it, going back to the 2000 campaign, yeah that's a problem if he blows up. But I think that Kellyanne Conway, you know how skilled she is, I think he could come out and be an acceptable new norm, and that's what the Clinton campaign is concerned about. He could go 90 minutes, misstating facts let's say, but looking smooth, being the performer, and she is the studious schoolmarm constantly saying you're wrong about that, that's a lie. It’s not an appealing persona. [MSNBC, Meet The Press Daily, 9/21/16]
cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:58 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
BuzzFeed unearthed an audio recording showing that Trump backed the Iraq invasion and a 2011 video in which he called for swift military action against Moammar Kadafi, then the leader of Libya. In the months since those disclosures, Trump has lied dozens of times on both issues, saying he opposed the use of force in Iraq and Libya.

It doesn't seem to matter. I guess this country is ready for a pathological liar to be our president.

Hillary has her problems too about lying!
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 11:19 am
I hope the moderator will force the debaters to provide detailed answers to the moderator's questions. Feel good slogans are not considered as being answers.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 11:30 am
I heard one commentator on the Sunday morning shows describe the moderator's role in a way I thought was correct. She said the role of "fact checker" should be primarily the job ofthe opposing candidate, and the moderator should let them have an opportunity to respond. But, if after that there is still a significant untruth just being allowed to go unchallenged, the moderator should correct it. There should be a difference of opinions, but there shouldn't be two sets of facts.
georgeob1

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 12:24 pm
@snood,
Easy to say, but as life teaches us there are indeeed very often real differences of opinion as to exactly what are the facts, and modertors don't necessarily have an exclusive possesion of the objective facts. Many examples of that out there.

And, of course, in the Clinton world one must parse words very carefully and know what the applicable definition of "is" is ,
snood

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:10 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
as life teaches us there are indeeed very often real differences of opinion as to exactly what are the facts, and modertors don't necessarily have an exclusive possesion of the objective facts.

There are some things that are near impossible to extricate from the grey area, granted. But there are also some things that are demonstrably true or untrue, For instance, for Donald Trump to say 'I stopped talking about the birther thing since I made him produce his birth certificate.' Is a lie. For him to say 'Hillary Clinton started the rumor that he was not born here' is a lie. These things are easy to prove. The former by the existence of video evidence that shows Trump touting the birther nonsense for years after the long form birth certificate surfaced. The latter by the absence of any kind of evidence anywhere that Hillary or any of her operatives started the 'Obama born in Kenya' nonsense.
cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:41 pm
@snood,
Trump pushed the birther issue for five years, and he thinks he can deny it in five seconds and it'll go away. LOL
It only proves Trump is not qualified to be CIC.
farmerman

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 03:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Im amazed at how far the gop has sunk. People are actually believing his untruths despite the piles of evidence against
roger

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 04:07 pm
@farmerman,
You would have to want to believe really, really bad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 04:10 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

The Bar Gets Lower: Media Reinforce Double Standard For Trump Ahead Of First Debate

ANDREA MITCHELL: He could go 90 minutes, misstating facts let's say, but looking smooth, being the performer, and she is the studious schoolmarm constantly saying you're wrong about that, that's a lie. It’s not an appealing persona. [MSNBC, Meet The Press Daily, 9/21/16]

[/quote]

It's like Barnum v anyone smart but not showy.

I can't even begin to imagine how they can prep her for this.
georgeob1

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 04:25 pm
@ehBeth,
[quote = "ehBeth]It's like Barnum v anyone smart but not showy.

I can't even begin to imagine how they can prep her for this. [/quote]

I agree, but probably for different reasons. Andrea Mitchel was exhibiting (in my view) the condescension typical of the slavish followers of Hillary in the large, sympathetic sector of the media she represents. I don't think a seasoned, experienced individual who also evades responsibility, accountability and political risk in any form by consistently using evasive language and carefully parsed words to do so, and who so obviously values the opportunity to add to her personal power and enrich herself as the main objectives of seeking office , fits the real meaning of "smart but not showy" in your metaphor above.

While "Barnum" fits Trump to a large degree, the honest equicvalent for Hillary would be "experienced, but not trustworthy"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Sep, 2016 04:40 pm
@farmerman,
I think Trump was successful in dividing the party, and I'm not sure how long it'll be before they recover from this split.

http://trumplies.com
0 Replies