Terror at Orlando Nightclub, 20 Feared Dead.

RABEL222

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 02:24 pm
@ehBeth,
If he has been going there for years I would tend to believe he was gay.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 03:09 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

You don't have to read anything about "Islamists" to understand that the westbank occupation is offensive to Palestinians, since being under the hegemony of Jews is very humiliating. Palestinians weren't humiliated pre-1967, under the hegemony of Jordan. In my opinion, many another nation victorious in a war would have already annexed the westbank, and made the Palestinians Israeli citizens. Oh, the horror (Marlon Bando's famous line in Apocalypse Now about the horrors of war, but meant differently I think?)

Being under the hegemony of anyone would be humiliating. The Jordanians and the Palestinians are basically the same people. They certainly have more in common than either of them have with the Zionist arrogators who were Europeans. The integration of the Palestinian peoples within an inclusive government is the only way that there will be peace in Palestine. The Zionists should have never dispossessed them.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 03:34 pm
@RABEL222,
I think that this is a better "possible" scenario rather than he was Gay. He tried to be-friend Bass on Face-b0ok. Bass, owned another night club simular, 2 weeks before hand.

This "glory" of how many people you can kill, if you will, so your name goes down in History, is something I can not fathom with Mass Murderers, but it seems to be to me, foremost in their mind.

Quote:
Mr Bass said he expected now his club could have been targeted. James Copenhaver, a former Orlando law enforcement official, told the Post there was a possible connection. “My training and experience suggest the shooter was scoping out L.G.B.T. clubs by friending club owners, club staff and even customers of the L.G.B.T. clubs in the Orlando area on social media,” he said. “This suggests that he was doing his homework if you will, gathering intel to determine which club would have the most victims for maximum body count, during his terrorist attack.” -
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 04:24 pm
@Blickers,
I'm not arguing the FBI should have caught him as I don't know all of the facts of their investigation. It seems like they should have but that's with the benefit of hindsight.

"Absurdly" easy? That's a matter of opinion.

Have you ever tried to purchase a gun? It's not "easy."

One mass killing is too many, but your argument would predict dozens every year.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 05:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
One mass killing is too many, but your argument would predict dozens every year.

Quote:
there were 372 mass shootings in the U.S. in 2015, killing 475 and wounding 1,870.

That's over 1 a day.

Quote:
Australia Hasn’t Had A Mass Shooting Since 1996

The story of Australia, which had 13 mass shootings in the 18-year period from 1979 to 1996 but none in the succeeding 19 years, is worth examining.

snood

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 05:36 pm
Well it's all speculation, so I'll take my two cent swing at it.
As far as motive...
From all I've seen, I think the guy had a lot of rage that he probably couldn't explain if his life depended on explaining it. I think his dabblings in radical Islamic ideology just gave him some framework to claim as justification for the violence he needed to do to someone.

If someone could have read his mind at the moment when he stepped off into the abyss and started murdering people, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mess of confused sexuality, rage from perceived rejection and failure, and righteous slaying of the wicked evildoers.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 05:39 pm
@snood,
That sounds right to me.

We have yet to hear much, or enough, from people who knew him.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 06:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:

Assault Weapons Remain Legal and Easy to Purchase in US

By ryan j. foley, associated press

Jun 13, 2016, 6:12 PM ET

Military-style assault weapons like the one Omar Mateen used to blast away at an Orlando nightclub remain legal and easy to purchase — easier, in Florida, than buying a handgun.

Mateen wielded an AR-15, the most popular rifle sold in the United States according to the National Rifle Association. Manufactured by companies such as Colt and Bushmaster, it's the civilian version of the M-16 rifle used by the U.S. military and many armies around the globe.

President Barack Obama and other gun control advocates have repeatedly called for reinstating a federal ban on semi-automatic assault weapons that expired in 2004. But they have been thwarted in Congress by majority Republicans and some pro-gun Democrats.

Opponents of a ban say semi-automatic rifles and pistols are good for hunting, target shooting and self-defense, and that a prohibition would infringe on the constitutional right to bear arms while doing little to prevent crime. Both sides agree that such weapons are used in only a tiny fraction of gun crimes.

But gun control advocates say any legitimate use of the weapons pales next to their ability to quickly inflict mass casualties.

"If you have a fairly clean record and a credit card, you can build your own army," said Josh Sugarmann, executive director of the Violence Policy Center.

"Sometimes what gets lost in the semantics of this debate is the fact that these are firearms that were designed to kill as many people as possible" as quickly as possible, he said.

Representatives of the National Rifle Association and the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the firearms industry's trade group, did not return messages seeking comment.

In the wake of the Sunday morning shootings at Orlando's Pulse night spot, the presumptive presidential candidates spoke out on different sides of the issue.

Democrat Hillary Clinton has called for reinstating the assault weapons ban, saying "military-style assault weapons do not belong in our streets" and pose a threat to police officers. "We have to make it harder for people who should not have those weapons of war," she told a Cleveland audience on Monday.

Republican Donald Trump opposes an assault weapons ban, though in 2000 he said he supported it. "People have to be able to protect themselves. And the bad guys have them, so if the bad guys have them, we need protection in this country," he told CBS "This Morning" on Monday.

Fully automatic weapons are illegal for civilian use; they can fire many bullets with a single pull of the trigger. The triggers on legal, semi-automatic weapons fire a single bullet each time.

Still, the weapons can be fired rapidly — as fast as one shot per second — because they feature grips for shooters to control them and detachable magazines that can carry 30 rounds or more. Their retail prices vary but are often around $1,000.

Florida law sets a three-day waiting period for purchase of handguns, often used in crimes. But the state mandates no waiting period for any gun that requires two hands to hold.

Spurred partly by the killings of five schoolchildren and the wounding of 29 others and a teacher in Stockton, California, in 1989, Congress in 1994 banned certain semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines that held more than 10 rounds. But the law expired in 2004, and hasn't been renewed despite polls showing popular support for the idea.

Researchers have disagreed on whether the ban had a modest impact on gun crime, or none at all. Manufacturers were able to continue making similar weapons with slight design changes.

But the debate gained renewed energy after the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, when Adam Lanza used his mother's semi-automatic assault rifle to kill 20 first-graders and six adults. An attempt to impose a federal ban on assault weapons failed the next year, when Republicans in the U.S. Senate joined with some Democrats to block the proposal.

Since then, similar firearms have been used in other mass shootings, including the attacks in San Bernardino, California, at a military center in Chattanooga, and an Oregon community college.

Mateen, 29, was armed with an AR-15 and a handgun when attacked the crowded nightclub in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, which claimed at least 49 lives. Dozens more were injured before Mateen was killed by police.

Mateen, a security guard who had been investigated by the FBI for possible ties to terrorists, had legally purchased weapons in recent days.

In December, House Democrats introduced a new federal ban on assault weapons that was designed to address the shortcomings in the earlier law. The plan failed to advance in the Republican-controlled chamber.

Some states have tried to impose their own restrictions on the weapons or sought measures that would at least slow down shooters using them.

Last month, California's Democratic-controlled state Senate voted to outlaw the sale of assault weapons with easily detachable magazines and to require that people turn in ammunition magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

Eight states have banned certain assault weapons, the use of high-capacity ammunition magazines, or both, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Requiring a shooter to reload after every 10 rounds fired would prevent at least some carnage in mass shootings, supporters of such measures say.

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 07:10 pm
Quote:
5 Things That Are Harder to Get Than an Assault Rifle
In Florida, it's easier to obtain a gun than an abortion

Under Florida law, Omar Mateen did not need a permit to purchase or carry the rifle he used in Sunday's Orlando nightclub shooting,
nor a license to own it.

Omar Mateen bought the assault rifle he used to kill 49 people at Pulse nightclub eight days before Sunday's shooting. The owner of the store that sold him the gun, St. Lucie Shooting Center, said on Tuesday that Mateen passed a background check. (In Florida, a background check is essentially just a query of several databases to determine whether the buyer has any felony convictions, active warrants or domestic-violence injunctions.)

But that was it! There was no waiting period. Under Florida law, he did not need a permit to purchase or carry the rifle, nor a license to own it.

Here are five things that are harder to get in the state of Florida than an assault rifle.

1. An abortion
There is no waiting period in Florida to buy an assault rifle like the one Mateen used to kill 49 people Sunday, but a woman seeking to abort a pregnancy must undergo an ultrasound and receive in-person counseling — then wait 24 hours — before the service can be performed. (Also, fun fact: in Florida, it is illegal for your doctor to ask if you if you own a gun.)

2. A driver's license
Under Florida law, you do not need a permit to purchase or carry an assault rifle, nor a license to own one. But Florida, like all U.S. states, does require anyone who operates a motor vehicle to have a driver's license. To get one, you'll have to provide a birth certificate or passport, proof of a Social Security number and two proofs of address. You have to take a four-hour Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education class, pass a written test and a driving test and log 50 hours behind the wheel (at least 10 of which must be at night).

3. Solar panels
If you absolutely need a SIG Sauer MCX assault rifle right now but don't have the $2,058 to buy one, no sweat — many Florida gun stores offer layaway plans that will let you to pay the gun off in installments. If you want to buy solar panels in Florida, though, you will have no such luck. To get panels, you have to pay the prohibitive cost upfront: those popular leasing programs available in other states are verboten in Florida. (As Tim Dickinson noted in Rolling Stone earlier this year, fewer than 9,000 Sunshine State homes have panels installed because of the restrictive state laws that favor the utility companies.)

4. Voter-registration cards
If you want to buy an assault rifle in Florida, you don't need permission from anyone. But if you want to host a voter-registration drive, you'll need permission from the state. Under the law, third-party voter registration groups like the League of Women Voters, the NAACP, unions and anyone who collects voter registrations must turn the them in within 48 hours or face steep fines.

5. An exotic animal
To own a Class I exotic animal, such as a Komodo Dragon, in Florida, you need to be able to demonstrate that you have at least one year and no fewer than 1,000 hours of experience "in the care, feeding, handling and husbandry of the species" for which you are trying to obtain a permit. You'll need proof of that experience too in the form of a written description, complete with dates and locations, of that experience. And that's not all: You'll also need two personal references as well as previous permits and employment records. Again, to get an assault rifle, you just need an ID and a (largely) clear criminal record.
(rollingstone)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 07:10 pm
Uggggggg.

I hesitate to post this as it may increase exposure to a scary person; on the other hand, people need to know about it.

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2016/06/14/sacramento-christian-preacher-praises-orlando-massacre
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 02:54 am
From what I've read and cross-referenced, the parents of the alleged perp haven't been forthcoming with all they know, and neither has his ex-wife.

As for the guy blocking the door claiming he was keeping the gunman at bay, this has been refuted by several patrons already, although the MSM doesn't seem to want to be forthcoming with that information either.

Still reading reports that more than one gunman was inside from the start, and that witnesses outside saw the SWAT team shooting into the building itself, and at targets unseen on rooftops.

Will we ever know what really was happening?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 07:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

It Took Us Just 38 Minutes To Buy An AR-15 In Orlando

Looks pretty easy to me.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 07:02 am
Orlando nightclub gunman visited gay chat rooms, officials say
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:35 am
This case just keeps adding layers.

Reports: Orlando shooter's wife could be charged soon
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:14 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
How are you defining "mass shootings"
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:16 pm
@Blickers,
This is focused on Florida and, erroneously, extrapolates to the US.

I can tell you it is not easy to buy a gun in Texas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
doing a google search on the words you questioned

About 202,000 results (0.54 seconds)
Search Results
Guns in the US: The statistics behind the violence - BBC News
www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604
Jan 5, 2016 - Mass shootings: There were 372 mass shootings in the US in 2015, killing 475 people and wounding 1,870, according to the Mass Shooting ...
2015: The year of mass shootings | PBS NewsHour
www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2015-the-year-of-mass-shootings/
Jan 4, 2016 - Mass shootings in the United States drew an enormous amount of ... there were 372 mass shootings in the U.S. in 2015, killing 475 and ...
Gun Violence in America: Chasing the Wake of 14 Shootings in 10 Days
www.gq.com/story/gun-violence-and-mass-shootings-in-america
Apr 29, 2016 - According to the similar definition used by the website Mass Shooting Tracker, there were 372 mass shootings in the U.S. in 2015. It's estimated ...
A calendar of every mass shooting in 2015 - Vox
www.vox.com/a/mass-shootings-calendar-2015
In 2015, there were more days with a mass shooting than days without a mass shooting. ... Overall, 468 died from 372 mass shootings in 2015. June witnessed ..... Most gun deaths in the United States (21,175 of 33,636 in 2013) are suicides.

http://www.gq.com/story/gun-violence-and-mass-shootings-in-america

Quote:
*We’re defining a mass shooting as four or more people shot (killed or injured) in the same incident, including the shooters. According to the similar definition used by the website Mass Shooting Tracker, there were 372 mass shootings in the U.S. in 2015. It’s estimated that there are more guns than people in America today, over 300 million. And the U.S. has the highest gun-homicide rate in the developed world: More than 12,000 people died last year in this country after having been shot.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, there you go.

So if some gangster rubs out four competitors, it's a "Mass Shooting"

If some insane mother or father kills three members of his family and then commits suicide, it's a "Mass Shooting"

Interesting isn't it that of the 372 "mass shootings" in 2015, only a handful attracted the national press.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't think you'd like to hear my theory on why so few got meaningful coverage.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:39 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I don't think you'd like to hear my theory on why so few got meaningful coverage.

I think I can take it.

If it has anything to do with the NRA, I can tell you ahead of time I will pay it no mind.
0 Replies