Terror at Orlando Nightclub, 20 Feared Dead.

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:54 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
If you don't know the difference, I'm not concerned at all.

Once again, you are the one here who is making a series of untrue statements about guns.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:55 pm
@George,
George wrote:
oralloy wrote:
So do you now understand that all the law does is ban harmless cosmetic features?

That statement, as it stands, is still incorrect.

It was a question, not a statement. But I can infer from your answer that you still don't understand.

The fact that I did not include irrelevant trivia in my description does not make my description inaccurate.

The fact that they are only banning cosmetic features on some guns does not change the reality that the only thing they are doing is banning cosmetic features.

George wrote:
But it is certainly true that the ban, to be consistent, should ban all semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines regardless of features such as bayonet clips. On this we agree.

The goal of the law is not to ban such weapons. The goal of the law is to hassle gun buyers by banning popular cosmetic features for no reason.

If they banned semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines there would be an uproar from all the hunters who use such weapons to hunt with. Now, gun banners certainly don't care about hunters and they do plan on banning their hunting weapons at some point. But they are trying to foster the lie that they are not going to do that, and they don't understand that no one is fooled by their lies. So at the present time banning these hunting weapons runs counter to the narrative that they are trying to construct.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:57 pm
@George,
George wrote:
oralloy wrote:
. . . While your description is factually correct, I question how your added
detail is at all relevant, and how my description is inaccurate for leaving
out this detail . . .

I assume that the "added detail" is that fact that for pistol grips or any other of the harmless cosmetics (as you describe them} to contribute to the ban, they must be in addition to the rifle being semi-automatic and having a detachable magazine.

Well, yes.

Did you need to assume? I thought it was clear that this was the central point we were addressing.

George wrote:
That is why the "added detail" (and to have been correct you should have written "added details") is relevant.

I must have missed your explanation as to why it is relevant.

I also provided my own explanation as to why it is not relevant. I didn't notice any rebuttal of this.

George wrote:
It is the difference between AND and OR. You maintain that the ban is only about cosmetic features, but the fact of the matter is the ban is about both functional and cosmetic features. AND, not OR.

And the relevance of the fact that the ban on cosmetic features only applies to certain guns is?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:58 pm
@George,
George wrote:
oralloy wrote:
. . . how my description is inaccurate for leaving out this detail. . .

Your description is "In fact, assault weapons bans are only about harmless cosmetic features like pistol grips and flash suppressors." Your description is inaccurate because you say the ban is only -- only -- about cosmetic features. The key word here is "only".

Since the only thing the law does is ban cosmetic features, it is not inaccurate to state that the only thing the law does is ban cosmetic features.

The fact that the ban on cosmetic features only applies to some guns doesn't change what the law does regarding those guns.

Look at it this way. Let's say, hypothetically, I robbed banks. But I only robbed them on Thursday mornings.

If you heard someone call me a bank robber, would you tell them that, no, in fact I was not a bank robber, using the logic that such statements are inaccurate if they do not always specify that my robberies only take place on Thursday mornings?
George

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 07:02 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Since the only thing the law does is ban cosmetic features, it is not
inaccurate to state that the only thing the law does is ban cosmetic
features.

A fine example of circular reasoning! You assume something is true and then
declare that since it is true, it is accurate to say it is true.

You should say "IF the only thing the law does is ban cosmetic features." But
that is not the only thing the law does. It also bans semi-automatic
capability and detachable magazines.

oralloy wrote:
The fact that the ban on cosmetic features only applies to some guns
doesn't change what the law does regarding those guns.

The fact that the ban on semi-automatic capability and detachable
magazines only applies to guns with certain cosmetic features doesn't
change what the law does regarding those guns.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 08:13 pm
@George,
George wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The fact that the ban on cosmetic features only applies to some guns doesn't change what the law does regarding those guns.

The fact that the ban on semi-automatic capability and detachable magazines only applies to guns with certain cosmetic features doesn't change what the law does regarding those guns.

Even if you twist the law around backwards that way, I can still apply the same arguments against it.

I've yet to hear anyone come up with a good reason for a law that will apply only to guns that have certain harmless cosmetic features.

The Constitution only allows laws to impact our rights if the law can be justified with a good reason.
parados

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 08:30 pm
@oralloy,
And I have yet to hear you defend the military's desire to include the "harmless cosmetic features" you claim they are.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:12 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
And I have yet to hear you defend the military's desire to include the "harmless cosmetic features" you claim they are.

Well, I don't perceive it as being relevant to anything.
Builder

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:33 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Once again, you are the one here who is making a series of untrue statements about guns.

Do some research for yourself; urban combat "snipers" need a semi-auto weapon. They won't rely upon anything other than a bolt-action rifle for distance and accuracy.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 09:55 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Do some research for yourself;

I'm not the one here who keeps making untrue statements.
Builder

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:23 pm
@oralloy,
Believe what you will.

Your bank robber analogy is BS.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:33 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Believe what you will.

I choose to keep believing in facts. They serve me quite well.

Builder wrote:
Your bank robber analogy is BS.

No, it did a very good job of explaining why it is OK to exclude irrelevant details from a description.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 10:18 am
@oralloy,
Clearly the military doesn't consider them simply "cosmetic features". The designer of the gun didn't consider them "cosmetic features." The military thinks they have a purpose that is not cosmetic.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 10:39 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Clearly the military doesn't consider them simply "cosmetic features". The designer of the gun didn't consider them "cosmetic features." The military thinks they have a purpose that is not cosmetic.

I don't know that that is true. But more importantly, even if it were proven true, so what?

What is important is: Can anyone come up with a good reason for banning a pistol grip on a rifle?
George

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 11:57 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Even if you twist the law around backwards that way, I can still apply the
same arguments against it.
Please do. I can still refute them.

oralloy wrote:
I've yet to hear anyone come up with a good reason for a law that will apply
only to guns that have certain harmless cosmetic features.
Neither have I, but that is not what we are discussing, is it? We are discussing your
mistaken assertion that this law ONLY bans pistol grips.

oralloy wrote:
The Constitution only allows laws to impact our rights if the law can be
justified with a good reason.
I'm no constitutional scholar, but I agree with you. Your point is irrelevant
to this discussion, but it's nice to find common ground.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 12:38 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
let's ensure that people are safer where ever possible, let's ensure that every murderer gets caught because there is footage, evidence, faces to work with.
1984 anyone?
chai2

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 12:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
No, 2016.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:08 pm
@George,
Its clear that you would favor banning semi automatic guns with detachable magazines, pistol grip or not. How about a belt fed semi? And if your goal is really minimizing deaths and you manage to ban semi autos, why not make all guns single shot and ban revolvers? And then...

Oralloy is right about the only place an 'assault weapons' ban leads. A ban on guns or at least a desire to.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:13 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
No, 2016.
At least they are not in our bedrooms. Yet.
But if we really want that evidence we need, why not?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Its clear that you would favor banning semi automatic guns with detachable magazines, pistol grip or not. How about a belt fed semi? And if your goal is really minimizing deaths and you manage to ban semi autos, why not make all guns single shot and ban revolvers? And then...

Oralloy is right about the only place an 'assault weapons' ban leads. A ban on guns or at least a desire to.

There was a federal ban on assault weapons(and it included a ban on high capacity magazines) that was part of The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act that was in effect from 1994 to 2004. I must've missed the part where that led to efforts to ban all guns. That is a baseless dodge.