Why Obamacare is a Failure

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:18 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

In general the bigger the risk pool the more you can spread cosrs around. Which makes the US size much better. And with univerrsal membership i.e more younger and healthier in the more too you can spread the risk and lower average costs. You have it backwards,mcG.

Why doesn't Europe have universal healthcare? A few of the countries do, but not all of them. Why don't the progressive people of Europe get together and finally have a single universal healthcare for all of Europe?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:21 am
@McGentrix,
Dumb question. Europe is not a country, and East Europe is still recovering from Soviet occupation.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Dumb question. Europe is not a country, and East Europe is still recovering from Soviet occupation.

Not a dumb question at all. The European union is still a thing right? Shared currency and all that? Why not a shared healthcare system for everyone in Europe?

I mean it should be a piece of cake, right?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:34 am
@McGentrix,
Europe is a project en route. Not finished. Europe's economy is not homogeneous nor did each country lost its sovereignty. Still after this silly attempt to retreat back to nationalism is over, and it will be because the process is automatic and cannot be reversed by any human power, when the United States of Europe come to be I am sure UHC will be one of its FUNDAMENTAL pillars. Eventually, you will mimic it out of no other good solution to keep civilization alive in your little piece of heaven.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:37 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Why the Euro is a problem.
http://econ.economicshelp.org/2008/04/problem-with-euro.html

Simply put, it takes away the government's control of inflation or deflation. All the countries in the Euro zone have different economies, strengths and weaknesses. They have different languages, and it's not a simple matter of any French to move to another country with a different language to find a job.

It makes it easier for foreigners who visit the Euro countries on vacation, but I'm not sure of other benefits.

Also, I believe the Euro has been losing value against other currencies.
Look what's happened to the value of the Euro against the US dollar.
http://marketrealist.com/2015/01/euro-losing-value-us-dollar/
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
In a generation, English will be second nature to any citizen in Europe. Culture will be more homogeneous and average salaries tend to merge as the economy gets more entangled. This stuff takes time. Neo-nationalism is a sort of last breath from old timers that cannot get used to the new global status of the world's economy. Europe might even break in half first if it as to so ppl learn just how huge such mistake would costs us, but in the end, it will come together simply because geo politically there is no alternative. Smart people get this.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:54 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
English will be second nature around the world. How that translates into a unified world economy with different types of government is another issue.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes of course. That is the third step, and another one unavoidable unless you want a third world war. Global government will come next. And the freaking root of the problem, the 1% that have 99% of the money will get taxed big time as the freaking offshore aberrations will end by force of natural need...Capitalism and meritocracy won't be over but the huge disparity between rich n poor will decline or else we will be doomed. When fire gets close to your butt big change comes real fast...

PS - Someone delete the previous post. I was editing to correct some "spoken grammar" to proper English and the bloody thing double post...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:46 am
@McGentrix,
It's an incredibly dumb question, many countries are outside the Euro, and Brussels is nothing like Washington. It's essentially a group of sovereign nations in a collective trading/immigration bloc.

You're trying to compare apples with oranges because when America's healthcare is compared to other developed countries it comes us lacking, more expensive, inefficient really only good for the terribly rich.

You take the robber baron's argument about the size of America at face value because that's what lickspittles do.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:58 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's an incredibly dumb question, many countries are outside the Euro, and Brussels is nothing like Washington. It's essentially a group of sovereign nations in a collective trading/immigration bloc.

You're trying to compare apples with oranges because when America's healthcare is compared to other developed countries it comes us lacking, more expensive, inefficient really only good for the terribly rich.

You take the robber baron's argument about the size of America at face value because that's what lickspittles do.

Do you not know anything about the United States of America? It's essentially a group of sovereign states under a federal government that has a Constitution that lays out the foundation of what it can and can't do.

You are too fucktarded to grasp that though. You can't compare the US to any other country because there is no other country like the US. Your puny brain can't understand that and so you repeat the same ****... ugh. I've got to stop clicking (view) when it says "User ignored (view)"
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:43 pm
@McGentrix,
America is one country. The EU is not one country. No I don't know your constitution, do you know ours?

You're trying to draw parallels that aren't there. Trump can issue executive orders, Junker can't issue much except platitudes. There is no comparison.

And, this may come as a shock, but I really don't give a **** about your constitution, and I doubt anyone outside of America does either unless they're a lawyer or a company making use of it.

Terms like fucktard show you're far more like Gungasnake and Oralloy than you're prepared to admit. And I think the myth of American exceptionalism is just that, a myth.

We got UHC after WW2 when we were deeply in the ****, all it takes is the strength of will to take what is rightfully yours from the ruling classes, and we had the guts to do that in 1946. You don't so you comfort yourself with myths and fairytales while the robber barons tell you what to do.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:50 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
We understand doubles happening and not caught in time. This happens to stalwart a2kers from time to time.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:09 pm
@McGentrix,
Btw, these arguments about complexity are nothing new. We had the same in 1946, but we didn't touch our forelocks and give a grovelling apology for even asking. We made it happen. You'd rather listen to the rich man's platitudes and turn a blind eye to all the racists, misogynists and homophobes flocking to his cause.

It's called divide and rule, and as long as you harbour the delusion that you've more in common with the likes of Trump than an agricultural worker living illegally in California you'll continue to be divided and ruled.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:28 pm
@izzythepush,
<agree>

I've worked in two of the US's best hospitals, in different roles of course, when I turned sixteen until I was 34, then in a major laboratory that has since been subsumed to an even more major one. I made a move to another profession, taking classes in it for 4 years after work and interning, in my 40's. Still glad I did that, years of liking my work more.

I've also been in the low end of the rope economically, some of that my fault for choosing a profession that was, for practitioners, a fits and starts proposition, a bit like construction in general re ups and downs. Still, I loved it.

I bought my own bloody insurance. At almost sixty and later, I got some bang up stuff, two breast cancer surgeries that worked out but were expensive, and five eye operations (medicare helped with the 6th). I became insurance poor, they never just paid all of it, the insurance due spiraling, and that instituted long term money trouble por moi..

Some years ago, I remember Robert Gentel talking about his needing to go to the hospital, in Costa Rica, and the great care he got; in some then or later discussion, he said that there were layers to that, re levels of care. Those aren't his words, just my memory.

I can imagine easily difficulties there too, but, hell, I'm interested in their system.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Do you remember when German was the international language? Maybe, I'm dating myself.
http://www.popsci.com/article/science/fyi-how-did-english-get-be-international-language-science
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
No system is perfect. The NHS is not faring too well right now because the Tories aren't funding it adequately. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. We have an aging population, the needs are greater than they were.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:52 pm
@izzythepush,
The demographics in the US is similar. The ratio of older people are increasing as the baby-boomers started retiring.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 03:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes. I have no idea if it was it international language, guessing, but for those of us taking science classes in California in 1960, it was a good idea. I took one semester and gave up. My grade was fine, but I hated running from the science building class way north to the language class in ten minutes, arriving late.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 03:22 pm
@izzythepush,
I understand, have been watching - what is for years now, mostly re the Guardian, but also BBC and Reuters.

I'm still once in a while confused, or more often confused, re what is going on there, re help for people of low income.

Not that I think we are swell on that.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 03:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
The NHS is free at the point of delivery. There are no fees when you see the doctor or go to hospital. With operations there's a waiting list which under a Labour government is usually a few weeks, much longer when the Tories are in power. With medicine there's a flat fee for prescriptions, currently £8.40 an item. However, unemployed, children under 16 and the elderly get free prescriptions.

There's no differential depending on income, it's the same for everyone.