Why Obamacare is a Failure

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 03:18 pm
@izzythepush,
What ACA has accomplished, and how it can be improved.
https://tcf.org/content/report/key-proposals-to-strengthen-the-aca/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 03:26 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Yeah, but you can keep raising the penalty on those that don't want it till they make the personal decision to buy into it.

That really isn't a personal decision then is it? It's a forced decision by the govt and forced compliance, not really something the FF wanted the govt to do. Remember, the Constitution was written to limit the power of govt, not the power and choice of the people.

Good! I see you got my point. We weigh the known cost of buying into it against the unknown cost of complying. Then we make our "choice". That's kind of a rhetorical "we", by the way. I have credible coverage with both VA and Medicare.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 03:44 pm
@roger,
Having worked in administration for most of my life, I had enrolled everybody working at the last company I worked at (100 employees) to Kaiser. They gave me an easy membership # (like) 00-22-33-44. Most people at the hospital mentions it when I show them my card.
Kaiser has been a (rhetorical) "god send" to me, because of my kidney failure. It's now operating at 40%, so I'm no longer on dialysis. Many, even in the medical field, never heard of a case like mine. I'm just a lucky bloke. My sister tells me, "I'm blessed."
I'm sure ACA has had a positive impact on many lives.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 03:51 pm
@roger,
You aren't really giving anyone a choice, it's either **** sandwich with or without cheese. VA and medicare? Is your VA coverage for service related issues or just because you think you are entitled to free stuff for your service?

What you have also demonstrated here is that you don't have any skin in the game, you get your insurance free. What do you care if people like me saw increased prices, at least yours was paid for...
roger

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 03:55 pm
@Baldimo,
Personally, I think you are entirely out of line with that post.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 04:14 pm
@roger,
Quote:

What was out of line? The questions about your VA insurance or the comments I made?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 04:26 pm
@roger,
Me too.

I don't recall that vets can't still go there, maybe with some fee? if the health problem is not service related. I presume they can. I probably used to know, but haven't heard details like that for years.

My father had a terrible time at the end of his life. He was suicidal at one point, with lots of reasons for his despair, and we got him to an ER, and the ER sent him to the VA system, where he died of other causes a bit later. His situation was a huge long sorrow for me, of course for him. It still is, a long time after that. Not that he was all swell at the VA, but I'm glad they took care of him. He was a full colonel, with a strong background, but times in his life got hard.

I actually worked at the West Los Angeles VA for a while, before my lab at the University was set up and I was trained by a woman who knew a lot re immunology; I knew some, but she knew more at that time. The university and the VA had medical ties at that time, and maybe still do. Another friend was a VA nurse for years, and, knowing her, she had the patients in stitches.

I've a another friend whose primary doc for his condition is his VA doc, and he has been very well helped by them. The cause was not service related.

Both of my parents are buried in the West LA VA cemetery, which I haven't visited since 2009, it being far away now. But, for a long time in the seventies, my lab was immediately across the way from the cemetery, and I often heard taps through my window. Sorrow, at work. Routine in a way, but still sorrow.

Baldimo is off base.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 04:31 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I too wonder what was out of line? Baldimo put his time in too. I think it's fair for one soldier to ask another, right?
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 04:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Adds, I gather if I move back to California I could be buried there with them.
Um, unlikely re my finances. Also, should I transform into ashes, my wish may be for a toss from a boat into the Pacific, which I happen to miss.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 04:53 pm
@ossobucotemp,
That's what I told my family. I want to be cremated, and tossed into the Pacific Ocean. Keep on trav'ln.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 05:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, and together we could all attack the plastic bits.

I await someone telling me that ashes are worse than plastic...

izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 05:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Also, should I transform into ashes, my wish may be for a toss from a boat into the Pacific, which I happen to miss.

Whoever is doing the tossing must be a lousy shot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 05:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Interesting info; I'm gonna look into it.

I found this concerning the environment.
http://naturallysavvy.com/live/scattering-ashes-safe-for-the-environment
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 05:45 pm
@izzythepush,
But wait, I'm not gone just yet.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 05:49 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm still upright, but who knows?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 06:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks for looking that up.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 06:05 pm
So we got the damned commie librolls tryna tell us what we can and can't do, and the damned death star ridin righties tryna tell us what we do and don't deserve. What a world! Surprised
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 06:08 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I too wonder what was out of line? Baldimo put his time in too. I think it's fair for one soldier to ask another, right?

Is that like how black people can call each other n*gga? Yeah how's that working for them?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 06:40 pm
For some of our dimmer members I would like to explain who is eligible for VA medical care. Anyone who served in active military during armed conflict i.e. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War I, ant the 15 plus years our military has been involved in the soul sucking disaster that are occurring in Afghanistan and Iraq is eligible. Many people who are eligible never register for VA benefits because they have other coverage, and some because they think the VA may be less skilled than other medical providers.

Another reason some people are more than entitled for VA benefits is that Military people are paid at a much lower rate than civilians with 'comparable' skills. In order to entice people to labor for less, our Government promises Medical Care, housing allowances, college education, post Exchange or
Commisary privileges. So it really isn't free, and anyone who thinks it's free is an ungrateful citizen. And we know how you are.

Regarding 'free' Medicare'.......it's not free, it deducted from employed people's paychecks, from retired people's pension checks and if you are fortunate enough to have a generous pension income you will be billed quarterly for additional payments to contribute to Medicare. You don't get extra coverage, you are contributing additional monies to support care for others who armed less. I think you really don't have much of a problem if you are paying more.....it usually means you didn't have to go on Medicare after a massive stroke or calamitous car accident or work injury that took you out of the workforce when you were in your 30's or 40's.

I don't expect people who think of Medicare as an entitlement program to agree with me. I just pay my bills, continue to have Medicare deductions taken from our checks and count my lucky stars I'm not in the hospital being treated for something dreadful, painful and prevents me from living a reasonable life. But since there are people in terrible conditions and in pain and in desperate need of medical care, I will willingly pay my share to help these people.

I will however dig in my heels if Trump tries to take money out of my pocket to pay for a ridiculous wall.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 06:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Well stated, and I agree. Actually, I don't disagree with any taxes we pay.
0 Replies