Why Obamacare is a Failure

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 01:24 pm
@maxdancona,
All fine and good Max, but the question isn't Obamacare or Universal Healthcare. The republicans, should Trump win and they maintain control of the house and senate, will AGAIN vote to REPEAL Obamacare.

The choice is Obamacare or 'the way it was before' (you know Universal Healthcare has no chance of passing in the next 8 years)

Other things to consider:
1) costs are rising, but they are rising at a rate slower than the last decade before Obamacare (something like 40% slower).

2) The only article that I've read that showed a decline in rural hospitals was something like 48 of them closing nationwide in the last 3 years. I don't even know what the normal rate of hospital closures were, so it's difficult to know if this is a real concern or not.

3) The distance people need to travel may be rising. Is it an extra 5 miles? An extra 15? An extra 50? This is important information.

I don't think anyone here is saying that Obamacare doesn't need some chagnes. Hell, we all knew that things would need to change or be adjusted back when it was passed and that was before all the last minute changes to the bill in order to get it through congress.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 01:55 pm
@ehBeth,
thanks for that link
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 02:21 pm
@maporsche,
Can you provide evidence that #1 is true (that costs are rising at a rate slower than the last decade) ?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 02:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
2. Obamacare has failed to lower, or even stabilize, costs. The average cost of premiums to subscribers are rising. The average cost to the system are rising.

Does anyone have any reliable sources to dispute these facts? Or is the fact that Obamacare is economically unsustainable and is failing not in question.

The rate of cost increase has slowed dramatically.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 02:25 pm
@maxdancona,
https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/images/092215_CEAHealthCare-Chart1.png
https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/images/092215_CEAHealthCare-Chart2.png
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 02:26 pm
@maporsche,
http://www.pwc.com/us/en/health-industries/behind-the-numbers.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 02:38 pm
You can aim your rhetorical guns at the website conveying the message or you can look at the message and NPR/Harvard, the ones responsible.
maporsche

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 02:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You can aim your rhetorical guns at the website conveying the message or you can look at the message and NPR/Harvard, the ones responsible.

That's nice edgar. It would even be nicer if you'd simply posted the paper from NPR. You didn't though. You posted a biased, cherry picked, hit-piece from a known conservative website. One written with the full intent to slander Obamacare.

I called you out on it. You proceeded to call me "too politically biased" and you'll "ignore [my] posts," because of it.

You post a conservative hit piece on a major piece of legislation that has helped millions get healthcare and massively improves on what it replaced and you have the nerve to call me biased??

Read the NPR article and tell me the conclusions that it comes to (hint, it's different than the article you posted and enjoyed so much)
snood

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 03:07 pm
It's weird. One day Lash turns her vitriol toward Obama - saying he's "worse than George Bush"; now edgar starts in with right wing talking points against Obama.

Almost like it's a playbook.

They should be right wing operatives, if they're not already.
revelette2

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 03:23 pm
@maporsche,
Made me curious, I didn't even bother with the link before your post. I clicked on the Home option at the top of Edgar's link.

here it is

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 03:34 pm
@snood,
I won't buy EdgarB as right wing.

We disagree, always have on this and that, but did not let it get us down. I still consider him well as a human and friend, strongly.
Lash

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 03:43 pm
@snood,
Or, maybe it's just been so long since you thought independently about a Democrat candidate, you forgot how.

REFUTE MY CLAIMS. PLEASE. You can't. Because we all know they are facts.

Ask yourself why you call facts "vitriol." What's wrong with you?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 03:46 pm
BTW, since you're talking about Obamacare, my health insurance premium went up a bit, but my new out of pocket deductable is so high, I can't afford to go to the doctor.

He has RUINED decent healthcare for a lot of people.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:05 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

They should be right wing operatives, if they're not already.

What an utterly desperate comment.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:08 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

We disagree, always have on this and that, but did not let it get us down. I still consider him well as a human and friend, strongly.

Of course he's not a right-wing operative (and of course he's a human, what the hell else might he be? An alien for Seti-16?). It's absurd to suggest he is. Snood just can't come up with an intelligent response so he defaults to invective.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:10 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

BTW, since you're talking about Obamacare, my health insurance premium went up a bit, but my new out of pocket deductable is so high, I can't afford to go to the doctor.

He has RUINED decent healthcare for a lot of people.

You're a pip Lash. I have no idea what road you've recently traveled but you are one of the more independent thinkers in this forum.

PS: I did like you better when you seemed like a conservative. Now I have no idea how to categorize you. (For which you should be proud)
Brand X

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:18 pm
@Lash,
Going to get worse before it gets better. Does it get better???

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/23/insurers-are-looking-for-obamacare-price-hikes.html?__source=facebook%7Chealthcare%7Clink%7C052416%7C10AM%7Cobamacare-sticker-shock

snood

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Of course he's not a right-wing operative (and of course he's a human, what the hell else might he be? An alien for Seti-16?). It's absurd to suggest he is. Snood just can't come up with an intelligent response so he defaults to invective.

Aww, see? and I just got done admitting I agreed with you on something. Surely I contribute more than just invective, Finn. C'mon. Think hard.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:26 pm
@snood,
This may be difficult to believe snood, but I don't live for those times you agree with me (blind squirrel and the nut thing). Of course you are capable of contributing something intelligent but your default is invective. Won't you admit that suggesting Edgar (who I assure you doesn't want me to defend him) and Lash were "right-wing operatives" was totally absurd? That can't be too hard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I also listen to Snood.
Live with it.