sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 09:09 am
@snood,
Yeah, he's trying to drag things out and have as much influence as he can; but the problem is that the longer he waits, the less influence he has. Just saw an article about that the other day that I can try to find back, but basically he's already past the point where he has the most hand, and while Hillary can be nice to him and is probably inclined to be, he doesn't have that much bargaining power left.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 09:16 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it. Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I just watched this with my kids the other night. Still a fun film.
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 09:22 am
@DrewDad,
I just saw Jemaine Clement (bad guy in the third Men in Black film) in person! He's the best.

Love that quote so much. Very pertinent this election season, I think. The Trump rally experience is so central to the Trump phenomenon, and "people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals" is apropos. (Even if they are perfectly nice people individually, when they're not in an unruly mob.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 05:13 pm
@snood,
Bernie is doing a live video address to his followers at 8:30 PM.

But it's not a concession speech, evidently:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-sanders-idUSKCN0Z126B

But they're not lobbying super delegates anymore.

And Weaver continues to be Weaver.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/283850-sanders-camp-no-longer-lobbying-superdelegates

Nate Cohn: "It'd be fun if they tried to get through this without actually conceding"
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 06:46 pm
@sozobe,
This is like the promise ring of endorsements. "I'm not doing it, but I'm saying that I will do it. But it's not, like, an actual engagement ring or anything, don't get too excited."
DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 06:53 am
@sozobe,
I think he's handling it the way you break really bad news to someone. You don't just blurt out the bad news, you say, "I need to talk to you," "I'm really sorry to be the one to have to tell you this," etc.

He has to walk back from his "we're taking it all the way to the convention no matter what" statements, let folks know he's changing his Berners from "boil" to "simmer," and finally let 'em know he's gonna be part of the Democrat stew after all.
sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:08 am
@DrewDad,
I get what you mean, but I think he's already done that prep -- he didn't have to do it again last night. This was just his standard stump speech pretty much.

He seems to be just riding this as long as he can, and no longer being particularly strategic about it. He's losing influence with every day. (His supporters are increasingly moving to Hillary even without any official concession or endorsement, so any perceived power he has there is lessening.)
snood

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:11 am
@DrewDad,
I understand this transition process has to be relatively delicate. The nature of his candidacy and the groundswell it caused deserve a few beats at least. And this agitation before conceding is probably important and even necessary to get some real movement going in the DNC - I can see all that.

I'd be lying though, if I said Bernie doesn't make me nervous. It has to do with the vibe I've had of him since first becoming familiar with him on his weekly appearances on XM radio. He always seemed like he just loved occupying the niche of the guy who repeats the left-wing talking points - do the stalwart liberal schtick, take a bow, rinse, repeat. Now that he's got a big adoring audience, I worry that he loses perspective about his significance versus the importance of doing what is necessary to preserve the gains Obama made, and to assure the progressive agenda gets moved further forward.

I guess it won't be long before we see the outcome of how he has chosen to navigate this.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:26 am
@sozobe,
I agree completely. I didn't say I agreed with how he's handling it, just that it's how I'm reading it at this point.
sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:30 am
@DrewDad,
Gotcha. I guess I'm questioning whether he has that much intentionality behind it -- what you say makes sense as a strategy, but I don't know if he's doing it out of strategy now or out of pure bloody-mindedness.

As in, I think it might be more about HIM getting good with it and doing that slow pivot than purposely bringing his followers along per se.

Anyway, all the stuff I said earlier -- I do think he'll get there but the process will be long and annoying for us Hillary supporters, and Weaver is not going to help anything.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 09:56 am
I am wondering if Obama lost in 2008, everyone would be so understanding if he had just hung on and on and on. I somehow doubt it. I am not sure he (Bernie) will ever get the words, "I concede my campaign" out of his mouth. I hope I am proven wrong. I understand his more ardent fans do not want him to concede, but at some point (I suggest he has reached it) he has to. Is he afraid he won't get the concessions he is demanding if he concedes before the convention? I just hope he has a handle on his more enthusiastic supporters and they do not use the venue to spout off and boo Hillary. I hope they have respect for the convention and the traditions. I would just like to hear Bernie say at that point at least, I concede to Hillary and I endorse her and will work with her to help defeat Trump.
maporsche

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:24 am
@revelette2,
I really don't care what Bernie does. I believe 100% that Clinton will win handedly even if half the Bernie supporters don't vote for her (which isn't likely, I'd gather that it's more like 5%).

She's only been the official presumptive nominee for a week (despite what we've all known since March) and already you're seeing Trump's numbers tank and people rallying around Hillary.

Bernie can do whatever he wants, it won't matter one iota.
snood

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:36 am
@maporsche,
You're probably right, but it will still gripe me a little if he can't muster up class enough to at least go through the motions of formally conceding and asking his supporters to support her. I still have some respect for him and what he accomplished, but if he can't even do that, the hell with him.
revelette2

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:14 am
@snood,
I agree with you as well. It is just better if he concedes all around and better for us if the convention goes well. Plus, even though I don't think we have go exactly $15 dollars an hour, at least get it on the platform to raise it $12 which is big improvement on what we currently have. As well some of his other ideas, if they are adjusted, they are good ideas.
snood

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:30 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I agree with you as well. It is just better if he concedes all around and better for us if the convention goes well. Plus, even though I don't think we have go exactly $15 dollars an hour, at least get it on the platform to raise it $12 which is big improvement on what we currently have. As well some of his other ideas, if they are adjusted, they are good ideas.

Yes! The things he raised are all good ideas (some are a little half-baked, but well intended), and I hope Hillary is held to the adjustments in her stances she was forced by Bernie's popularity to make.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:35 am
@revelette2,
I'm not waiting around for Bernie to concede before the convention. He's come a long way, an indictment for Hillary is still a possiblity, (not a big one, but a possibility), and Bernie's going to make sure he's actively campaigning right up to the convention to get the nomination in case it happens. I'm a Hillary supporter, but if I was in his position, that is what I would do too, after all that work.
snood

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:47 am
@Blickers,
What gives you the idea that an indictment is a possibility? Nothing I've read leads me there...
Blickers

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:08 am
@snood,
It is a possibility. A few weeks ago the FBI said that they would announce in a few months whether they will seek any indictments. And they are investigating how Hillary used her Email.
snood

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 01:19 am
@Blickers,
Sure seems pretty vague. "Considering investigating how she used her emails" sure seems a long way from the FBI indicting Hillary for a crime. And you don't even show a source at that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:57 pm
Bump (does writing 'bump' make a topic go to the top?)
0 Replies